• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
    Met, don't get me started on that thought Bags Gone Wild, that could continue a long time, no less.

You are forcing my hand to further reveal what a wimp I am. I only weigh 130 lbs, only do weights about twice a week but only do light weights. The bicep curls with dumbbells only weigh 15 lbs each. Your toothpick probably weighs more. I have limited use due to a bad motorcycle accident many years ago.

Still, as much as I bitch and complain about so many things, deep down I am so thankful to God on what I can still do today. Weights are boring and when you reach my age you have to think about the bones getting weak. But…speed bags, double end bags and now the RBT, are exciting. I feel like a kid in a toy store working out with them. My Alan Kahn autographed bag hangs on the wall, I play my favorite CD The Best of R.E.M, and as I box, I ask God, “How does it get any better than this?”
    Regardless of what you train with, you look to be in great shape for 56. AND you have a great attitude.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I only weigh 130 lbs, only do weights about twice a week but only do light weights. The bicep curls with dumbbells only weigh 15 lbs each. Your toothpick probably weighs more. I have limited use due to a bad motorcycle accident many years ago.
      56, not overweight AND in shape, and doing lightweights twice a week....
      What's wrong with that.... nothing.....
      BAG ON!

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

I hope when I 'm 56 God will see fit to allow me to stay in as good of shape as you are.
        sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

You are all probably sick of seeing me post here, but I have to say, my heart is really touched how nice you all are. I hope I can return such a virtue. And to be honest, I could use "nice" right now. Seems like my family is beating me up more than the RBT how boring the videos are made of it. Dang, I can take criticism, but for crying out loud, the only films ever made of me is when I was a baby. Heck, I was so nervous doing those vids of me you'd think I was about to box Mike Tyson. I never did anything like that before, let alone then posting it for the whole world to see. Just venting.

Oh, today when I was boxing with the RBT, R.E.M. music on, Alan's bag hanging on the wall, I do my usual, "God, how does it get any better than this?" Low and behold, a small, still voice answers and says, "Doing a video, Bags Gone Wild".

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

You are all probably sick of seeing me post here, but I have to say, my heart is really touched how nice you all are. I hope I can return such a virtue. And to be honest, I could use "nice" right now. Seems like my family is beating me up more than the RBT how boring the videos are made of it. Dang, I can take criticism, but for crying out loud, the only films ever made of me is when I was a baby. Heck, I was so nervous doing those vids of me you'd think I was about to box Mike Tyson. I never did anything like that before, let alone then posting it for the whole world to see. Just venting.

Oh, today when I was boxing with the RBT, R.E.M. music on, Alan's bag hanging on the wall, I do my usual, "God, how does it get any better than this?" Low and behold, a small, still voice answers and says, "Doing a video, Bags Gone Wild".
            Everyone is normally the same way the first time they get in front of a camera and have to be ON. It's tough to get started, and a man's best friend becomes "Take-2". then 3,4,5-10. My cutting room floor was littered with hours of useless takes on video. Plus watching hours and hours of yourself can really get old. But you get used to the camera after a while, and talk to it like an old friend. The only tip I might offer on your clips IF you re-do them, (which is NOT necessary IMO) would be to look AT the camera when you are talking with the head gear on. Sometimes it was tough to hear exactly what you said because your mouth was surrounded by the padding and you were looking away from the camera. But all told your clips were fine. Well lite and the best part, INFORMATIONAL. In the how-to world of Youtube, nobody expects professional commentators or voice overs. You showed true passion and desire to help others. It comes through in the clips.

You might also consider showing the robotic boxer as a "slipping" exercise. Many times a boxing trainer does not want a boxer (or Martial Artist) to react to everything with a committed block, especially if a "slip" will do. A power block means you get hit by the arm, a "slip" means the arm missed you and did nothing. I can see that a boxer could get in his stance in the middle, move around left and right, try to "slip" the extension arms and then punch inside of it after they missed. Just a thought.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Speedbag, as always, you are a breath of fresh air. Right now I have mixed emotions, mainly down ones. I posted it on a MMA forum and overall it was deemed useless. They had reasons that were not new to me, but I think they missed the whole point and so be it. At times I think the same that it really does not offer much until I box against it. Then I think, this thing is really great. It happens every time.

Like you said, there is the "slip" to practice on it, the ducks, various blocking techniques, etc. Today I tried a new stance in a video I saw by a martial arts instructor on how to reduce the chances of getting hit. Although the stance gets tiring real quick, by-golly I got hit less by the RBT even when throwing punches at it because the stance leaves very little opening with both hands back or one punching.

I will follow your advice on the vids (you are certainly the man with the most experience in that) and I will make a free-standing base for the RBT and see if I can get it into a boxing gym for them to try. Who knows, maybe it is just not me who loves to box against it.

This is a boxing bag forum and I should return it as such by getting it off my RBT. Sorry about that.

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Hey atgatt, that's a really cool device. I was going to suggest gloves on the arms, but I see that was already mentioned and deemed not possible. I think it looks like fun and I agree you ought to get a few amateur or local pro boxers to try it and video it. An endorsement from someone who is serious about boxing might be what you need to start some buzz. I wouldn't worry too much about people who merely look at it and put the idea down. How can they really know until they try it ???

Lastly, you look to be in great shape. I would not have guessed 56. Your physique is an inspiration to many of us here. I certainly hope to be that ripped with muscle at that age !!!

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Thanks Tim. Heck, I went this far and it would be good to see what some real boxers think.

I guess I just wish people who put it down would be logical. Criticism is very good as long as I could see the reasons why. One guy said on the MMA forum that the arms are straight and don't have elbows like a real arm so they are basically of no good. Plus, they don't throw a hook, etc. When I asked when did he ever stop a punch by blocking someone's elbow area or bent forearm, because for the life of me, in all the real fights I've been in in my younger days, it was always a fist with straight forearm coming at me. He never answered that because.....who knows, it does not have an elbow and that's that. When I said it is fast enough with straight punches alone to where he couldn't stop it and didn't need a hook, etc, he still thought just hitting a bag is just as good. Another great answer was I could just shoot out tennis balls in different areas. If anything, it instilled in me, stay away from the MMA group for an answer I could understand.

Makes me appreciate this forum as far as logic too. Ok, Spin is a little weird, but he at least he is fun.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

That's some device atgatt! I personally like your idea and think it has potential. I hope this doesn't end here. After all this is a prototype and will improve in time, already you have some good ideas from the previous posts.

Bruce Lee would have loved this, I can see him blindfolded during his training sessions.

Your physic is pretty amazing too!

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
                      That's some device atgatt! I personally like your idea and think it has potential. I hope this doesn't end here. After all this is a prototype and will improve in time, already you have some good ideas from the previous posts.

Bruce Lee would have loved this, I can see him blindfolded during his training sessions.

Your physic is pretty amazing too!
                      Ain't that some device? Wouldn't it be cool if Bruce Lee were around? I wonder what his thoughts would be on MMA? And yeah he would be working out on the robotic trainer blindfolded. And lastly, atgatt, told you you look good!
                      sigpic

Comment

• atgatt
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Bruce Lee blindfolded?!!!! I would be in total awe just to see him dodge or block the RBT in high speed looking right at it. I truly wonder if there is a person fast enough. Maybe there is and I am just slow. Hope to find out somewhat soon if I find some boxing gyms or martial arts schools that let me put it there as a demo.

Of course a person could block it by standing there with their hand in its path, but when I put my hands just below or to the side of its path ready to block just one arm, let alone two, I have yet to be able to stop it once. Never even got lucky. I'm telling you, IT'S FAST!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...