• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Boxing history being lost

Ran across this article about Everlast closing a factory that has a lot of boxing history to it. You just hate hearing stuff like this. It's likely we have speed bags and other equipment we use made there.

• metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Sad stuff indeed, you figure with all of the history behind it there would be some sort of landmark status.
    sigpic

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

That is sad news for the boxing world. But it's so typical of the current state of financial affairs.

You know what I find amazing is that for nearly 100 years Everlast produced boxing gear in that factory and never owned it. Usually companies with that type of history purchase the building at some point. But reading between the lines, even if they did own the building, they would have closed that facility down.

Just hope someone is snapping some pictures of the building and collecting some type of memorabilia to send the the IBHOF in NY.

Comment

• The Baggist
        Vert Baggin' Master
        • May 2009

It's sad for all the employee's who will have to find a new line of work after years of dedication!!! Their void will probably be filled by teenage sweatshop workers in China!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

A part of this family tradition still lives on in Thesportdoctor.com

They advertise Kangaroo bags, but I never got one. I might order a few for $$ and see if it's for real.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            A part of this family tradition still lives on in Thesportdoctor.com

They advertise Kangaroo bags, but I never got one. I might order a few for $$ and see if it's for real.
            Alan - he's only doing bulk orders at this time. I inquired as recently as earlier this month. I asked him about 100 custom bags (that maybe say SPEEDB.A.G. 2010 on them) and haven't heard back yet. I don't think 100 bags is quite the order size he had in mind.

The actual response was:
            "We do not sell directly to the public. We manufacture for special wholesale clients. I would recommend you go to Ringside.com and Everlast.com for all your retail needs."

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              Alan - he's only doing bulk orders at this time. I inquired as recently as earlier this month. I asked him about 100 custom bags (that maybe say SPEEDB.A.G. 2010 on them) and haven't heard back yet. I don't think 100 bags is quite the order size he had in mind.

The actual response was:
              "We do not sell directly to the public. We manufacture for special wholesale clients. I would recommend you go to Ringside.com and Everlast.com for all your retail needs."
              Yes, I actually called him a year or so ago, (maybe two?? - try to find that phone number now on the website) and spoke for about 30 minutes. He didn't have any bags made and had not made any in a while, but when he did make some he would send me a couple. Well that never happened, either because he didn't make any or he lost my mailing information. I wasn't all that disappointed, because we finally convinced the Kangaroos to stop hitting human bags, and turn about is fair play, but he said they had the material in stock and just didn't have any orders to use it on. I remember roo bags from the past were really nice. I guess he is saying they don't make standard retail products.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

For as many people who speed bag, wouldn't it be interesting to have a person who makes custom made speed bags and double end bags. They could be made with regular or exotic leathers, size, bladder thickness, writing, emblem, color, seams, etc. A person who guarantees a true round bag within a tight tolerance.

Sure it would cost more, but by-golley, I'd sure love to have my custom 8 x 5 speed bag and 7" double end bag. Like my friend used to say about buying such things, "It's not a question of need, it's a question of want."

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...