• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeyG
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2009

Hey All - Homemade Platform Pics

Cool site here. I have been viewing for a while and decided to join. I built my platform today. It's all out of wood. I will post pictures of it as soon as I get it mounted up. Ordered my bag today - Yellow title 8x5. I used to hit the bag every now and again but I now work out of the house and plan on hitting it throughout the day to blow off steam.

I plan on contacting Alan and getting the bible.
    Last edited by MikeyG; 08-31-2009, 09:03 PM.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey MikeyG, welcome to the forum. Be sure to post up pix of your platform. Folks are curious as to how others have built platforms. Also, post up some vids of your skills.

Purchasing Alan's SBB and DVDs will be of great benefit to you. The best money you will ever spend when it comes to learning how to speed bag.

Look forward to your contributions.

Comment

• MikeyG
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2009

home made platform

here it is. 2 layers of osb and 2 layers of birch plywood. a couple 2x4's, a handful of screws, and a tube of construction adhesive later..... the drum is 2" thick. this thing is stout!

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
        here it is. 2 layers of osb and 2 layers of birch plywood. a couple 2x4's, a handful of screws, and a tube of construction adhesive later..... the drum is 2" thick. this thing is stout!
        Welcome to the forums... and thanks for sharing the pix. It does look very nice. Great choice in swivels also That plastic ones aren't bad, but I love the sound of the metal ball hook.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Very nice board and swivel. Looks really solid.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2006

amazing looking board...i was thinking about making my first platform a octagon (maybe if i make a third one)...i looks really nice u did a great job!
            ________
            Wellbutrin Settlement Update
            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• MikeyG
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Aug 2009

thanks guys - I will let you know how it works out. I have a 50lb bag of sand for the top when I get it mounted up. the swivel I got out of a buddies garage years ago - he was going to throw it out. I have taped the shaft and greased the ball - now all I need is my bag!!!

Comment

• MikeyG
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Aug 2009

any reason i need to paint or stain the drum? I like the raw look of it now.

Comment

• fingers
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • May 2008

That is one solid looking drum!! first class job! i think the reason people varnish the wood is to stop damp and dirt impregnating the bare wood, also a few coats of varnish will really make the grain stand out and enhance the look of the drum, one thing you might think of is fitting the swivel to the drum with nuts and bolts just drill through the drum this gives a much more secure fit and wont work loose with vibration, hope this helps and welcome to the forum. Fingers.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fingers View Post
                    That is one solid looking drum!! first class job! i think the reason people varnish the wood is to stop damp and dirt impregnating the bare wood, also a few coats of varnish will really make the grain stand out and enhance the look of the drum, one thing you might think of is fitting the swivel to the drum with nuts and bolts just drill through the drum this gives a much more secure fit and wont work loose with vibration, hope this helps and welcome to the forum. Fingers.
                    Great point, to use bolts to secure the swivel. It will also allow you to change swivels quickly if the bug hits you to try new ones. Constantly screwing and unscrewing wood screws will quickly strip the holes and loose grip power, resulting in a loose swivel attachment. Your board has enough room over the top-center to drill through. Most Everlast ball hooks I've done fit nicely with four #10 or 1/4 Hex head Cap Head Screws, long enough to put the threads up through the top (you don't need any threads in the swivel or wood). Stick a few washers on with wingnut and your ready to attach, tighten or drop-change a swivel in no time.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                      any reason i need to paint or stain the drum? I like the raw look of it now.
                      no doubt it looks nice. the stain/polyurethane/varnish will help preserve the wood longer thus making ur setup last longer.
                      ________
                      Class action lawfirm

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

Welcome to the forum. Great job on the platform! You came to the right place for advice and do yourself a favor and get the SpeedBag Bible!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Kaju Dog
                          • Jul 2009

Nice job, I really find myself leaning toward the octagon shaped drum.

Once Im out of Base Housing and have some room to play, I see myself taking alot of the ideas found on the site and building something along those lines.

Im a bit partial to the many meanings that an octagon has in my life.

Thanks for sharing and everyone has something worth taking note of here.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Cool Octoboard!

Comment

• Kyle
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kaju Dog View Post
                              Nice job, I really find myself leaning toward the octagon shaped drum.

Once Im out of Base Housing and have some room to play, I see myself taking alot of the ideas found on the site and building something along those lines.

Im a bit partial to the many meanings that an octagon has in my life.

Thanks for sharing and everyone has something worth taking note of here.
                              not to mention its a lot easier to cut out a octagon rather than a perfect circle.
                              ________
                              WATER BONGS

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...