X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jordan
    • Jun 2009

O-tes

I hope Alan doesn't mind, but I had been trying elbow strikes for a while with good results, however they weren't where I wanted them to be. The way I was thinking about it was "I'm hitting the bag with my elbow, and the other hits are just rebounds." Now that is true to a degree, but something Alan said in the bible stuck out to me. You CAN look at it as (O-SES) + (FDP) = (O-TES) or outward single elbow plus front double punch equals outward triple elbow strike. I don't know why, but thinking of it this way really helped me make them flow more smoothly. (plus I don't miss the second or third strike) Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who thought skipping the section on elbow strikes was a good idea haha.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I'm glad you brought that up because it feature several important points on (1) how to view the flow of motions use in non-stop continuous speed bag punching, (2) if you separate the movements, what to call them, and (3) how to teach them to someone else.

You can look at the movement three ways. first, as a single whole motion, Elbow ' Fist ' Fist (O-TES). or as the E-F ' F (O-DES) ' (FSP) or as the E ' F-F, (O-SES) + (FDP) = (O-TES).

During my earlier more direct teaching days, teaching folks in gym, I found the need to vary how I taught, explained or demonstrated the various triple elbow strikes. I remember on specific guy who could not do any of the double elbow strikes very well, but he was very good at Front Double Punching (FDP). He just could not "feel" the (O-DES) ' (FSP) order. When I told him to look at this (like Jordan) as the (OSES) ' (FDP) he could finally do it. Same thing with the Downward-Triple Elbow Strike. When he finally felt the motion as a (FDP) with an elbow in the middle, he could do it pretty quick.

Because of those experiences, I included those extra explanations in the book and video's. It's rewarding to know that it really helped you (and others) to understand and ultimately learn the movements. In a little while, it suddenly all makes sense.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 08-28-2009, 06:29 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Yes, after watching countless vids of Alan, Skunk and all the other great baggers on youtube, it can get overwhelming. To counter that, I'd open up a chapter in the Speed Bag Bible and read it nice and slowly. There is always something in there that will help or clear up confusion as to why you may not be performing a certain technique correctly.
      I have now had the serious pleasure of having Alan Kahn and Speed Bag Skunk watch me bag and give tips on how to improve certain techniques they are the masters of!
      Jordan, you became a smarter man after purchasing the SB Bible! HAha!
      BAG ON!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...