• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Expensive platforms

Can anyone explain to me the drastic hike in platform prices. I have the 139.99 model and it's great. But to bump up to 799.00 for the next better one seems crazy. It looks like it is adjustable to an exact height, whereas the 139.99 model only adjusts incrementally according to the pre-drilled holes. But... does that warrant that kind of price hike? ($660.00) What is going unnoticed in the ads?

Everlast Adjustable Pro Speed Bag Platform
    $999.99
    Everlast Pro Speed Bag Platform
    $799.99
    Everlast Adjustable Speedbag Platform
    $139.99
    Everlast Adustable Platform
    $59.99
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    But... does that warrant that kind of price hike? ($660.00) What is going unnoticed in the ads?
    A fat profit margin. That's probably all. It does look nice though.

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

It's time for me to get a new platform. As much as I like the look and convenience of the more expensive models, I'm going to get the $139.00 Everlast.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

So it's like this....kind of....

$59.99
        A good starter platform that comes with a bag, swivel, those big cumbersome "speed bag" gloves, a jump rope and wraps... a real good deal I think. But, having to loosen the 4 screws to adjust it is a big pain. The platform is particle board and not so great. You definitely need to weigh it down for better rebound. And, why it is this one called an "Adustable Platform" but the 139.00 model is called an "Adjustable Speedbag Platform"? Is the 59.99 model a platform for other things besides a speed bag? I don't get that....

$139.99
        A great all around platform. Doesn't come with a bag. I am not sure if a swivel is included. I can't remember. I think it does?? It adjusts based on locking into preset holes in the vertical bar on the right. They are spaced an inch or more apart.
        Great wood, very sturdy. You still need to weigh this board down for better rebound.

$799.99
        Now the price increases dramatically. This board probably rules. My only problem is that it isn't adjustable. Now even if you are the only person that is going to hit on this platform, you are accepting that you won't be able to adjust it if you go from a 10x7 bag to a 6x4. I guess the easy way around that is to have some plywood risers at your disposal on the floor. Not a bad thing but a little bit on the low budget side compared to the money spent on the platform. I say make them all adjustable! I've never tried one so maybe Skunk or Alan can tell us how they feel. they look as solid as anything in the vids I've seen.....

$999.99
        OK... spend a grand and you get this! So for 200.00 more you get to adjust this one (on a sliding type system it looks like) compared to the Everlast Pro Speed Bag Platform for $799.99. But.. for $860.00 less you get a great board that adjusts incrementally for 139.00. I don't know but I think they let things get out of control at the Everlast meeting when it came to putting prices on these. I'd love to see how many of these they've sold in the last 2 years compared to the 139.00 model. It just doesn't seem worth it. I can think of so many things I can do with 860.00 and STILL have a great Everlast board!!
        How bout 860.00 of speed bags??!! Or tickets to the next UFC fight. Or a flight and hotel to a Speed Bag Convention? Or my credit card bills?
        And not to mention, but they sometimes come down in price via Everlast or the sports stores they are in. They go down to 119.00 or even 100.00.
        Also, the names of all these products are confusing. One is a platform, the other is a speed bag platform. One comes with all kinds of accessories, the others don't. Everlast should have a "get ya going package" you can buy in addition to a board for one discounted price. They do this with microphones, cymbals, drums, all kind of musical instruments for beginners or anyone really.
        Anyhow.... just thoughts...

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          So it's like this....kind of....

$59.99
          A good starter platform that comes with a bag, swivel, those big cumbersome "speed bag" gloves, a jump rope and wraps... a real good deal I think. But, having to loosen the 4 screws to adjust it is a big pain. The platform is particle board and not so great. You definitely need to weigh it down for better rebound. And, why it is this one called an "Adustable Platform" but the 139.00 model is called an "Adjustable Speedbag Platform"? Is the 59.99 model a platform for other things besides a speed bag? I don't get that....

$139.99
          A great all around platform. Doesn't come with a bag. I am not sure if a swivel is included. I can't remember. I think it does?? It adjusts based on locking into preset holes in the vertical bar on the right. They are spaced an inch or more apart.
          Great wood, very sturdy. You still need to weigh this board down for better rebound.

$799.99
          Now the price increases dramatically. This board probably rules. My only problem is that it isn't adjustable. Now even if you are the only person that is going to hit on this platform, you are accepting that you won't be able to adjust it if you go from a 10x7 bag to a 6x4. I guess the easy way around that is to have some plywood risers at your disposal on the floor. Not a bad thing but a little bit on the low budget side compared to the money spent on the platform. I say make them all adjustable! I've never tried one so maybe Skunk or Alan can tell us how they feel. they look as solid as anything in the vids I've seen.....

$999.99
          OK... spend a grand and you get this! So for 200.00 more you get to adjust this one (on a sliding type system it looks like) compared to the Everlast Pro Speed Bag Platform for $799.99. But.. for $860.00 less you get a great board that adjusts incrementally for 139.00. I don't know but I think they let things get out of control at the Everlast meeting when it came to putting prices on these. I'd love to see how many of these they've sold in the last 2 years compared to the 139.00 model. It just doesn't seem worth it. I can think of so many things I can do with 860.00 and STILL have a great Everlast board!!
          How bout 860.00 of speed bags??!! Or tickets to the next UFC fight. Or a flight and hotel to a Speed Bag Convention? Or my credit card bills?
          And not to mention, but they sometimes come down in price via Everlast or the sports stores they are in. They go down to 119.00 or even 100.00.
          Also, the names of all these products are confusing. One is a platform, the other is a speed bag platform. One comes with all kinds of accessories, the others don't. Everlast should have a "get ya going package" you can buy in addition to a board for one discounted price. They do this with microphones, cymbals, drums, all kind of musical instruments for beginners or anyone really.
          Anyhow.... just thoughts...
          I haven't hit that particular board but it looks like it has high grade hardwood surface. I think Mello Yello is correct that the grade of steel and wood may make them a bit more, but there is just no reason to spend that much on a speed bag unit, unless you are the type to pay $65.00 for a Dress Shirt at a highend store when you can buy one for $14.95 at Walmart. Obviously you get what you pay for, and quality usually costs more, but at the end of the day you just need a solid stable board, a swivel and a bag, which can be purchased easily for less than $150.00. Personally I don't care what they are called because it's all the same thing, "a bag, a board, a swivel" and throwing in a few extra's doesn't make the wall unit any better.

I know some people have to have the most expensive of everything or purchase only the most popular or name brand merchandise. But I don't see it for punching a speed bag. I often find myself back in the garage wacking on my tried and true $49.00 dollar special. It's held up long and steady through lots of punching hour after hour, taken a beating from countless bags and still works just like my $600.00 unit up in my main inside bedroom. The video clip is from about 1990 and it's still hangin in the same place. The only difference to me is the easier adjustability from the larger, heavier wall unit. The board in the speed bag truck hits amazingly solid and I think it's the everlast $139.00 model. No need to look for anything else.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• The Baggist
            Vert Baggin' Master
            • May 2009

As far as platforms go and spending a sh$tload of money goes. My favorite platform is one me and my cousin built out of old 2x4s and a 24 inch pine disk that you can get at home depot or lowes for a few bucks. We mounted it directly to the studs in his garage and it was the most solid platform ever!!! Zero vibration....the downside is no adjustability.

I also have the Everlast $59.99 model and if it is mounted and weighted right its a decent model that can take you as far as you want to go but it will always have a slight vibration and is kind a pain to adjust.

The Everlast $139.00 dollar model (sometimes you can find them for $100 at Sports Authority) is the one I currently use regularly and highly recommend it. Also I don't use the Pre-drilled holes because of course the sweet spot for me is somewhere in between the holes already there...so i just tighten the Knobs and it has not moved at all since the day I tightened them..... so using the spring lock is not necessary(for me anyway).

I also have the Prime fighter 400 model which if adjustability is what you need it can't be beat. It is solid and if you mount it good enough you can also utilize the heavy bag hanger which is included. If I remember correctly I paid a little under $400 after the discount. It can be adjusted low enough for kids age 5 or 6 and high enough for 6' and over. If you are looking for a higher end platform I would for shure look into this one. I am currently remodeling the room I want it in and when I finish and put it back up it will become my primary platform. I think its the one Alan Kahn uses also which is another reason to check it out!!!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
              As far as platforms go and spending a sh$tload of money goes. My favorite platform is one me and my cousin built out of old 2x4s and a 24 inch pine disk that you can get at home depot or lowes for a few bucks. We mounted it directly to the studs in his garage and it was the most solid platform ever!!! Zero vibration....the downside is no adjustability.

I also have the Everlast $59.99 model and if it is mounted and weighted right its a decent model that can take you as far as you want to go but it will always have a slight vibration and is kind a pain to adjust.

The Everlast $139.00 dollar model (sometimes you can find them for $100 at Sports Authority) is the one I currently use regularly and highly recommend it. Also I don't use the Pre-drilled holes because of course the sweet spot for me is somewhere in between the holes already there...so i just tighten the Knobs and it has not moved at all since the day I tightened them..... so using the spring lock is not necessary(for me anyway).

I also have the Prime fighter 400 model which if adjustability is what you need it can't be beat. It is solid and if you mount it good enough you can also utilize the heavy bag hanger which is included. If I remember correctly I paid a little under $400 after the discount. It can be adjusted low enough for kids age 5 or 6 and high enough for 6' and over. If you are looking for a higher end platform I would for shure look into this one. I am currently remodeling the room I want it in and when I finish and put it back up it will become my primary platform. I think its the one Alan Kahn uses also which is another reason to check it out!!!!
              Absolutely Correct. I really love it for the ease of adjustability.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MelloYello
                I have the $800 Non Adjustable Pro platform* this snippet of me hitting it was long before I got my speed bag bible and started using the advanced strikes so all you'll see are basic punching but you'll see how solid it is:

As earlier stated, you can do pull ups off this thing BUT ... non adjustable

For anyone unfamiliar with bagging the "get ya going" package is a good idea but currently it's not implemented right. The platform is wobbly, the swivel isn't omnidirectional, and the bag is the cheapie pleather kind that doesn't always bounce as well as the higher end bags and so the experience isn't what it could be so people may be turned away.

* Balazs (according to them) make the pro grade platforms which are resold (and marked up) by Everlast. If you've got $ to burn (which I'm sure is the case with Brian and Alan ) then why stop at the Everlast $1000 model? Winning and Paffen have steering wheel dial platforms which weigh ~100 lbs and cost ~$3000 (shipping from Japan or Germany respectively will be an additional charge but hey, it's only money right )
                That's a really solid, thick piece of wood. That's a key for a good wall unit.
                It also yields a different sound than a thin presswood board.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I have the $800 Non Adjustable Pro platform* this snippet of me hitting it was long before I got my speed bag bible and started using the advanced strikes so all you'll see are basic punching but you'll see how solid it is:
                  That is solid, very solid. It's not moving at all !!! Looks to be built like a tank! Is that the 24" drum?

Do you still hit "boxing style" at all? I see there you've got that bag at forehead level or so. I know you're not necessarily training for fights anymore , but do you recommend that style for boxers since having read the bible?
                  Last edited by Tim; 08-20-2009, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Hey Mello! That is real cool platform! Man, see.....people take this speed bag thing seriously! Bag on!!!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

The only bag sizes I alternate with are 5x8 and 6x9. I made the platform to hit a 6 x 9 without shoes so when I hit the 5x8 I just throw on a pair of shoes
                      Very nice cage style platform. That particular design didn't occur to me when I was building mine. Nice walk through design. Is it attached to the floor in any way ?

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

It's not attached to the floor. The weight of the board is what makes it stable. That particular board is a very stiff grade of plywood (not particle board) that cost ~$70/sheet (4'x8') and has a smooth surface.
                        Any chance you could photograph some detail shots of the upper part? One of the major search hits for this site is "homemade speed bag platform". That detail close up would be helpful for anyone trying to replicate your design. For example, I have a full gallery of cage details here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3

That kind of construction comes natural to some, but is a challenge for others, the details may be helpful.

Sometimes I feel having multiple platforms and bags for a person who's only been "bagging" for ~6 months (me) almost seems unjustifiable

I mean, what would you think if you walked into a cat's crib and saw a Paul Reed Smith, Les Paul, and a Fernandes along with a Mesa Boogie Road King only to learn he'd only been playing for ~6 months
                        Passion and enthusiasm are what count at the end of the day. You've got that in bucket loads.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Pictures of the top portion ...
                          Thanks. Excellent work. Looks sturdy and economical.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            Thanks. Excellent work. Looks sturdy and economical.
                            X2. Awesome construction.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jordan
                              • Jun 2009

Sometimes I feel having multiple platforms and bags for a person who's only been "bagging" for ~6 months (me) almost seems unjustifiable

I mean, what would you think if you walked into a cat's crib and saw a Paul Reed Smith, Les Paul, and a Fernandes along with a Mesa Boogie Road King only to learn he'd only been playing for ~6 months
                              Hey mello, don't feel bad, I haven't been at it even a full 3 months, but that doesn't stop me from already having 5 different bags haha.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...