X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jordan
    • Jun 2009

Fist Gaurds

I know that Alan mentioned with the evergel gloves that the gel would slide around and become uncomfortable, but I found these guys on the title website: http://store.titleboxing.com/fg.html and was just wondering if anyone had an opinion?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I haven't tried those personally. Those look great for any kind of heavy bag or power punching but not sure they would be necessary for speed bag work. They might work fine but I wouldn't get them Just for speed bag (that's just my opinion. some others may love them.)
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      I haven't tried those personally. Those look great for any kind of heavy bag or power punching but not sure they would be necessary for speed bag work. They might work fine but I wouldn't get them Just for speed bag (that's just my opinion. some others may love them.)
      I agree. Too much stuff around the knuckles affects the way the bag reacts to a punch. I used to wrap and some find it a bit tedious. Alan gave me a pair of cool gloves and the name escapes me (Harbinger???). They are thin and feel great for bagging. The only reason I would still wrap if necessary is because I feel like I would sweat less with the fabric of wraps vs. a leather type glove. But like I said, I fortunately haven't had to wrap in a while. I 'd love to say it's because I have built up my knuckles to be as tough as cow hide!!!.... but I think it's simply because I am hitting smaller bags with nicer leather and my technique is more solid. That old Gyro I started on ripped my knuckles apart.... I have little blood splatter marks all under the first board I put up in the Speed Bag Garage! ..makes me feel tough though.. haha.....
      AK! See you tomorrow!

To everyone, I get to get bagified tomorrow in Detroit with the master, Alan Kahn! And then Sunday with Tim and The Skunk! And just last August I had never hit a bag, (barely) and was youtubing all three of these guys in awe of their skills!
      BAG ON!

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
        I agree. Too much stuff around the knuckles affects the way the bag reacts to a punch. I used to wrap and some find it a bit tedious.
        I've used gloves, hand wraps, and gloves and hand wraps. The bulk slows me down. I'm strictly bare fists now. That said if you get a cut or abrasion on your knuckles from something else, it'll never heal if you keep hitting bare handed...

To everyone, I get to get bagified tomorrow in Detroit with the master, Alan Kahn! And then Sunday with Tim and The Skunk! And just last August I had never hit a bag, (barely) and was youtubing all three of these guys in awe of their skills!
        BAG ON!
        Really looking forward to Sunday Skunk should be at my house around noon or so ...

I'll extend the invite to anyone who can reasonably travel to my house in Orlando for Sunday 8/16 Noon until ????. Anyone who wants to make the trip , PM me and I'll send my address.

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Don't forget to post pix and/or vids!

Comment

• Jordan
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            I've used gloves, hand wraps, and gloves and hand wraps. The bulk slows me down. I'm strictly bare fists now. That said if you get a cut or abrasion on your knuckles from something else, it'll never heal if you keep hitting bare handed...

Yeah, thats kinda what I'm going for, I'm trying to have my hands calloused as possible, but after so long baggin a small cut or bruise can start to hurt, so I wanted something to put on after I wear my hands down a bit....I'll have to look into that harbringer brand.

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

What's weird is for about 2 years I had to wear gloves especially for my large 12 x 10 Title speed bag and double-end bags due to my left hand's large knuckle hurting. The knuckle never seemed to heal from an injury I did many years ago.

About a month ago I tried all the bags again bare fisted and to my surprise, no more knuckle pain for a whole month of hitting hard. For some reason, those two years of hitting with gloves seemed to have healed my bad knuckle to be good enough to now hit without gloves. I do have to take off my wedding ring so the rim doesn't cut into my finger.

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                About a month ago I tried all the bags again bare fisted and to my surprise, no more knuckle pain for a whole month of hitting hard. For some reason, those two years of hitting with gloves seemed to have healed my bad knuckle to be good enough to now hit without gloves. I do have to take off my wedding ring so the rim doesn't cut into my finger.
                Sad but true, some injuries take an extended amount of time to heal I'm going on month 8 of elbow tendinitis

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Tim, I'm sorry about your elbow and obviously hope you heal up soon.

For a man that's hurting, you sure do a mean routine on your speed bags. I love your setup too.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...