• Show
Clear All
  • ntrailz
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2008

My 1st broken swivel

Hey

Last night my swivel broke for the 1st time

I have the BBE Adjustable Speedball Frame and not really sure what swivel is on it. All I do know is that its a U shaped one thats on it.

I just need a recommendation on where to go and what a good make is.

Cheers guys
  • deano
    Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

broken swivel

hey Ntrailz,
    sounds like to many big combos happening and the swivel wasnt up to it.
    i just modified a swivel with excellent results its real short and real fast and will move in any direction.if your swvl is the cup and ball type either metal or
    nylon you could try this. Take the main hook out of the ball swivel and put 2 heavy duty cable ties down through ball swivel then through speed ball then back up through, do this with ball swivel in the cup of main body of the swivel. then cut a nail of reasonable thickness (3 inch nail) to fit accross top of ball swivel but not as wide as the inside of the main cup. Then put cable ties over the top of the nail and tighten,then cut off excess. The nail will be down low enough so when main part of swivel is screwed back to platform it doesn't touch surface. The ball and cup still move freely and the nail can move 360 degrees. I used this for a while now and it is the fastest swivel i have ever used with no sign of breakage. i will try to post a short video and photo soon.anyhow its a cheap fix even if you dont like it
    all the best and keep punching
    deano

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ntrailz View Post
      Hey

Last night my swivel broke for the 1st time

I have the BBE Adjustable Speedball Frame and not really sure what swivel is on it. All I do know is that its a U shaped one thats on it.

I just need a recommendation on where to go and what a good make is.

Cheers guys
      I'm not familiar with that particular platform, so I don't know what will fit right out of the box, however, I'm partial to the Everlast ball hook, plastic or metal. It will be more challenging than your old U shaped swivel, but you'll adjust to it quickly, I think.

Comment

• ntrailz
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        I'm not familiar with that particular platform, so I don't know what will fit right out of the box, however, I'm partial to the Everlast ball hook, plastic or metal. It will be more challenging than your old U shaped swivel, but you'll adjust to it quickly, I think.
        Is it quicker or slower movement or something else?

Does it matter what swivel is used on each platform? That might sound like a real dumb question but I thought they would all fit

Comment

• ntrailz
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2008

just one other thing... is

Pro-Box Water Filled Punch Bag Hanging Kit - Standard with Swivel Heavy bag hanging chain set kit to suit water filled punch bag. Incorporates an integrated swivel to prevent the chain twisting. Can hold bags up to 100kg. Easy to set up.

the swivel you're talking about?

Comment

• Jordan
            • Jun 2009

Any swivel should go onto any platform just fine, they're pretty much all set up the same (4 holes and 4 screws) And if you were to find one that is different than that somewhere you can always just drill more holes. As far as the ball hook swivels, most people on this site prefer them because it offers a wider range of motion. For a chain link or a U-hook swivel, you certainly can hit it in every direction, but sometimes (especially for advanced combos) it might not go the exact direction you want it to. You eliminate that problem with a ball hook, however some people think that a chain link swivel CAN be faster than a ball hook, so really its up to you which you prefer. I would mention though that I've found, most people on this site prefer the ball hook swivels Tim spoke of. Good luck to ya, I hope you find the right one for you.

Comment

• Jordan
              • Jun 2009

these are the ones you're lookin for

Comment

• Kaju Dog
                • Jul 2009

Noobies united through SB experiences:

Well I broke my first swivel (kinda). Had my first problem with the chain link (master link) popping off during my practice. So, I went straight to the Navy Exchange and purchaced an Everlast plastic ball and swivel.

Im very happy with the new swivel, faster, quieter and easier to change out the bags. PS thanks for the tape on the U hook idea. I did that within seconds of bagging on the new swivel. (bag flew off)

Woof,
                KD

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Is it quicker or slower movement or something else?

Does it matter what swivel is used on each platform? That might sound like a real dumb question but I thought they would all fit
                  The ball hook requires very precise punching, more so than a U bolt or chain link style swivel. You have to hit the bag in just the right spot, or it will fly off to the side . It may or may not be quicker depending on the model , but it requires more precision, if that makes sense.

The ball hook is generally preferred when you start hitting from the sides , in addition to the front and back. The bag will respond more accurately to the punches.

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

just one other thing... is

Pro-Box Water Filled Punch Bag Hanging Kit - Standard with Swivel Heavy bag hanging chain set kit to suit water filled punch bag. Incorporates an integrated swivel to prevent the chain twisting. Can hold bags up to 100kg. Easy to set up.

the swivel you're talking about?
                    That's an economy stamped metal one, stay away from them. The socket wears out quickly and then the ball starts coming out, frequently.............

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      That's an economy stamped metal one, stay away from them. The socket wears out quickly and then the ball starts coming out, frequently.............
                      Dutchman is right. I suggest you not waste your money on that swivel. Get a decent ball hook if you go that route, and that ain't this one.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...