• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicecedes
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

Everlast chain swivel dropped to the floor

The nut at the top (not the part that screws into the base) came loose and the bag dropped. Fortunately, I was not hitting it. I put it back together too tight and the bag did not move. I did loosen it and it seems fine. But will it happen again and should I just stop using it?
    Last edited by Dicecedes; 07-22-2009, 09:36 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I don't think anyone can predict if it will happen again, but I would check to make sure it's tight before I used it, then may during the workout, and after you're done. At least for a while until you gain confidence in that nut and bolt not coming loose again. If it does, try supergluing the thread.

Good luck with it.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

This one right? I was having that problem and did like you, I tightened it as tight as it would go, backed it off a bit so it would'nt get hung up and haven't had an isssue since. You should be fine. If not then try what Alan suggested
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

• Dicecedes
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2009

Thanks

Yep, that is the one. In it's defense, I have had it for 10 years (7 years with no use though) and never even checked it.

I will keep an eye on it in the meantime. It has to last me a month because next month, I plan to buy a couple of new swivels and one more bag. It should make getting older a little easier.

Comment

• fingers
          Speed Bag Guru
          • May 2008

Had this problem once! i got a cold chisel and tapped a groove across the nut its been fine since

Comment

• Dicecedes
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2009

Found a plastic Everlast swivel for $9

I pick one up and did the super glue trick so will give it a try in 24 hours.

Not sure if I will keep it on the platform since I think I still want the watkins metal and the everlast top pro hd swivel.

Discover top-quality apparel, footwear, and equipment for online fitness enthusiasts at Everlast. Elevate your workouts with our premium selection today!

I was hoping that the base would allow the swivels to interchange- the chain, the metal ball and u-bolt. Anyone know or will I be disappointed?

Or should I just roll with the plastic and speed the money on a couple of bags? I will probably get a pro mex 5x8 or 6x9 just to have a variety of bags.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dicecedes View Post
              I pick one up and did the super glue trick so will give it a try in 24 hours.

Not sure if I will keep it on the platform since I think I still want the watkins metal and the everlast top pro hd swivel.

Discover top-quality apparel, footwear, and equipment for online fitness enthusiasts at Everlast. Elevate your workouts with our premium selection today!

I was hoping that the base would allow the swivels to interchange- the chain, the metal ball and u-bolt. Anyone know or will I be disappointed?

Or should I just roll with the plastic and speed the money on a couple of bags? I will probably get a pro mex 5x8 or 6x9 just to have a variety of bags.
              Most likely the swivels bases will NOT match up to different brands. They all use different sizes and different threads. Never force a bottom bag attachment into a base, for it will cross thread and strip them, rendering the base useless.

On two piece swivels, only the same brand of different styles "may" fit the base.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dicecedes
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jun 2009

Thanks

I will stay away from the everlast new u bolt swivel and go for the metal ball. I will go with 2 bags and a new swivel.

The plastic swivel is interesting. I was using the chain until it dropped to the floor and I found the plastic swivel on close out for $8.97. So I decided to give it a try.

It is pretty smooth and not too much different. I think for beginners like myself it is not as forgiving. I think you have to be a little more accurate. I was a little disappointed that I did not hear the clunk that I hear in all of the metal ball videos that you all post.

Comment

• Dicecedes
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2009

Finally found the thread

I finally found the thread where you break down the base and compatibility with everlast and watkins.

Thanks Speedbag. I think I read that I will not have to redrill my board when I get the watkins too.

D

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dicecedes View Post
                    I finally found the thread where you break down the base and compatibility with everlast and watkins.

Thanks Speedbag. I think I read that I will not have to redrill my board when I get the watkins too.

D
                    I did not have to redrill new holes, but I did "widen" a few holes to make the bolts drop easier.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...