Which Freestand Platform? (Choice of 2 craigslist ads)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yakabod
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

Which Freestand Platform? (Choice of 2 craigslist ads)

Hey there,

Earlier I created a thread on placing a speedbag platform in my backyard. Thinking about getting a Freestand instead. Which should I get and how much should i offer if I only want the stand?

Thanks
    ________
    herbalAire vaporizers
    Last edited by yakabod; 02-08-2011, 08:29 PM.
  • yakabod
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

or this other one i just saw:

________
    Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by yakabod View Post
      Hi yakabod. If you really want to go with a stand, this seems to be your best value in my opinion. At $125.00 for the stand plus a 6o# bag and speed bag, you're getting quite a bit since most of these only come with just the stand and platform and are almost $200 brand new. I had the Century stand and just tried to sell it to Play It Again Sports and they only offered me about $60.00 for just the stand. So maybe you should offer $75 for just the stand? Anyone else?
      sigpic

Comment

• yakabod
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2009

Thanks for the replies guys, but I found a better deal.

$80 out the door!

So do u guys place sandbags on top of the speedbag platform? what about straps for the punching bag and speed bag? How would I manage that?
        ________
        Ferrari F1 640 history

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

$80 out the door!
          Sounds like a great deal.

So do u guys place sandbags on top of the speedbag platform? what about straps for the punching bag and speed bag? How would I manage that?
          I had a unit similar to this. I bought a 50 lb bag of sand from Home Depot. I put it in a trashbag and wrapped it all up in duct tape, and put it up top. If it starts to leak , every punch will send sand flying into your face and hair, hence the trash bag. Be very careful as almost any weight may "walk" over time and drop off the board!!!

Alan has some pictures of using straps here: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/ssp/speed_bag_setups (Scroll down to Free Standing Frames)

Here's me using my old Everlast free standing unit (no weight on top though):

You'll notice the board is moving around all over, but as you can see, it's not totally unusable. It will become a limiting factor at some point though...

Notice the 50 lb bag of sand walking towards the edge of the board... (No, I've never had it actually fall off !)

Last edited by Tim; 07-01-2009, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• yakabod
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2009

Thanks a lot Tim for replying! I see on top of your platform u got pieces of wood to thicken it.

So if i thicken the platform, place sandbags on top, harness the poles, and apply weights on the poles, it should decrease vibration by a ton? Sounds good to me. I'll start it tomorrow.

Thanks.
            ________
            vaporizer volcano

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Thanks a lot Tim for replying! I see on top of your platform u got pieces of wood to thicken it.

So if i thicken the platform, place sandbags on top, harness the poles, and apply weights on the poles, it should decrease vibration by a ton? Sounds good to me. I'll start it tomorrow.
              Yep. Vibration will kill your rebound. More weight either in the form of a thicker or reinforced board or weight on top is going to help. Straps will help the side by side and back and forth movement.

I used that Everlast freestanding unit for almost 2 years but I eventually outgrew it and needed something more solid. What I use now is very solid and has an 80 lb heavy bag on top of it

Comment

• yakabod
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Yep. Vibration will kill your rebound. More weight either in the form of a thicker or reinforced board or weight on top is going to help. Straps will help the side by side and back and forth movement.

I used that Everlast freestanding unit for almost 2 years but I eventually outgrew it and needed something more solid. What I use now is very solid and has an 80 lb heavy bag on top of it
                "What I use now is very solid and has an 80 lb heavy bag on top of it"

I'm confused, are you saying that you are using another freestand unit that is better than the everlast you used to have?
                ________
                Auris

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

"What I use now is very solid and has an 80 lb heavy bag on top of it"

I'm confused, are you saying that you are using another freestand unit that is better than the everlast you used to have?
                  As I got pretty decent at the speed bag the freestanding unit was starting to hold me back. I eventually changed to a wall mount platform, which is rock solid.

This is sort of a free standing unit. It's not attached to the walls which keeps vibrations and sound from bugging the wife too much. I built the "cage" from 4x4 cedar.

Last edited by Tim; 07-01-2009, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• yakabod
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2009

thats an awesome setup Tim! Love how you attached a wide grip pull up bar too. Hope your still here within a couple min. I wanna show u pics of these 2 swivels i have.
                    ________
                    buy extreme q

Comment

• yakabod
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jun 2009

I have 2 swivels.

This one I had for a while already for my wall mounted platform in my room:

This swivel came with the freestand unit that I got today:

Which swivel do you recommend I should stick with? If u need better pics, let me know. Thanks!
                      ________
                      herbalaire reviews

Comment

• yakabod
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jun 2009

nvm, i just found the swivel page on speedbagcentral. thx.
                        ________
                        Ferrari 250 history
                        Last edited by yakabod; 02-08-2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Either one will work fine for a beginner. The century one (bottom) will likely fall apart at some point, they are pretty cheaply made.

Comment

• Speedbag
                            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

nvm, i just found the swivel page on speedbagcentral. thx.
                            yeah, the chainlink, which looks to be a solid classic, will last much longer than that type of ballhook.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• metaldad
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2007

$80 out the door!

Definitely a good deal for a freestanding unit. Nice going. I had that exact Century stand. Follow Tim and Alan's advice and you should be ok with it for awhile. Good luck with your new setup!
                              sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...