• Show
Clear All
  • speydream
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

Best speedbag?

Hey guys,
    What is the best speedbag to buy?

I am going to buy a bag and swivel, and hopefully get a platform built asap.

So my question is, what is the best, swivel/speedbag combo?

cheers!!
  • Jordan
    • Jun 2009

hey speydream, welcome to the forums, there really is no ONE best bag, different bags all have different feels to them and even different purposes, if you look over the forums tho, there are hundreds of posts that review different bags platforms etc....good luck :P

Comment

• Kaju Dog
      • Jul 2009

Why so many bags?

I've come to notice that a lot of you out there have multiple speed bags on hand and enjoy changing out the bags often, sometimes even during the same workout session.

Why?

I've been a novice bagger for a short while(IMHO, 15yrs off/on and have been in a rut of doing the same drill all this time). Im looking to pick up new ideas and go further into the bagging adventure.

Taking a stab at answering the question above; Is it just for a fresh feel to keep things fun and challenging? or Is it because certain routines respond better to more surface area and faster/slower bags?

I understand that a larger diameter bag is slower and easier to work with at first (at least that is what the adverts say on the packaging of some bags).

Personally, I like the smaller bags and tend to hit hard and fast with the same ole routine. Im finding myself challenged by slowing down, hitting softer and trying new things... I feel like I started off running and now need to go back and learn how to walk all over again.

Thanks in advance for the help. *I've been surfing and felt this was a good place to add my question, rather than start a new thread all the time.

Woof,
      Kaju Dog

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kaju Dog View Post
        \
        Taking a stab at answering the question above; Is it just for a fresh feel to keep things fun and challenging? or Is it because certain routines respond better to more surface area and faster/slower bags?
        Yes and yes. It adds a bit of variety and challenge, especially when you jump down a size or two.

I too prefer the smaller bags and mostly hit an 8x5.

Comment

• Kaju Dog
          • Jul 2009

Consistantly evolving - Thank you

Thanks for the reply. I broke down last night and put new bladders in my other SB's. Now I have three to interchange. 9x6, 8x5 & 7x10.

Previously, I had 2 of them filled with sand and gravel for hand conditioning and slipping drills.

I am going to rig up the bungee cords for slipping and play on with three bags as they were designed to be used.

My old routine was just various single drills with doubles thrown in at hand changes. I spent about 2 hours playing last night and was pleased to get into 3's and 4's with an occasional back elbow mixed in with some success that made me feel pretty good. My reverse punching is very weak but beggining to come into play when I isolate and focus on the rythem. Latteral strikes feel ok too. Im learning to relax and flow a bit better than I have in the past.

Thanks to all on the forum here and your posts. Very encouraging and insightful advise. *(especially most of the videos)

PS
          Now I am starting to see why you guys/gals like the hook swivels over the chain link. PIA changing that bag out on my chain swivel. Im going shopping this weekend.

Woof,
          KD
          "Semper Gumby"
          Last edited by Kaju Dog; 07-14-2009, 12:09 PM. Reason: KD

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks for the reply. I broke down last night and put new bladders in my other SB's. Now I have three to interchange. 9x6, 8x5 & 7x10.

Previously, I had 2 of them filled with sand and gravel for hand conditioning and slipping drills.

I am going to rig up the bungee cords for slipping and play on with three bags as they were designed to be used.

My old routine was just various single drills with doubles thrown in at hand changes. I spent about 2 hours playing last night and was pleased to get into 3's and 4's with an occasional back elbow mixed in with some success that made me feel pretty good. My reverse punching is very weak but beggining to come into play when I isolate and focus on the rythem. Latteral strikes feel ok too. Im learning to relax and flow a bit better than I have in the past.

Thanks to all on the forum here and your posts. Very encouraging and insightful advise. *(especially most of the videos)

PS
            Now I am starting to see why you guys/gals like the hook swivels over the chain link. PIA changing that bag out on my chain swivel. Im going shopping this weekend.

Woof,
            KD
            "Semper Gumby"
            You can work on your Reverse Punching ( and "lateral" or side punching) by doing the single punching, (Reverse Single Punch - abbreviated by RSP, or the Side Single Punch - SSP), repetitively by themselves. since the next punch will come from the same side as the last, it will be in the triplet rhythm, or three rebounds inbetween, just like front punching.

The Side Single Punch (lateral bag contact) can easily flow to the Reverse Single Punch by simply extending your elbow a bit, which will automatically rotate your fist (hitting the side of the bag) around to the back panels of the bag. Side goes to reverse punching with an odd (1,3,5) number of rebounds.

The Side Single Punch (SSP), or Reverse Single Punch (RSP) pass to the front of the bag using and even number of rebounds 2,4. That is because of the bag rebound angles and fist movements.

You'll find these under what I call "The rules of rhythm"
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kaju Dog
              • Jul 2009

Outstanding Thank you. I have read and continue to read the various and very informative pages on the main site.

A bit confussing at first but I think Im learning the language.

Woof,
              KD
              Last edited by Kaju Dog; 07-14-2009, 01:03 PM. Reason: KD's OCD :)

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Outstanding Thank you. I have read and continue to read the various and very informative pages on the main site.

A bit confussing at first but I think Im learning the language.

Woof,
                KD
                It takes a while, but once you get the hang of it you can read and write speed bag combinations pretty effectively. Some of the combinations our more advanced members perform are more challenging to write. But for beginners, the basic technique names and abbreviated symbols work pretty well.

And if you get stuck or have any questions. Just post them here or PM me personally and we'll get you through it one way or the other!

.....and the "best speed bag" is the one that YOU really enjoy hitting. They may come in all shapes and sizes, but your hands feel at home on it.
                Last edited by Speedbag; 07-14-2009, 01:55 PM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...