• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicecedes
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

What a great forum!

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum today. I boxed as a teenager and have found myself gravitating towards all the things I did as a teenager. I put up my speed bag I had from about 10 years ago and quickly took it down and purchased the everlast adjustable platform. I put up my 4214 and now want a new bag. I have read a bunch and it comes down to title 8x5 gold or promex 8x5. Same price.

So, if you had 30 bucks where would it go? The promex is "on sale".
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

Although I've never hit a Pro Mex, from what I seen they do look like a very good bag with a good crisp rebound.

The gold Title 8x5 I hit can tend to get a bit hard on the fists and only seems to have one speed. By that I mean when I inflate the Title the bag only seems to get harder not faster, in comparison to other bags that size. Don't get me wrong I still love my Title, the rebounds are alway perfect and it does make a good transition from big bags to little bags for the beginner-intermediate bagger.
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dicecedes View Post
      Hi everyone,

I just found this forum today. I boxed as a teenager and have found myself gravitating towards all the things I did as a teenager. I put up my speed bag I had from about 10 years ago and quickly took it down and purchased the everlast adjustable platform. I put up my 4214 and now want a new bag. I have read a bunch and it comes down to title 8x5 gold or promex 8x5. Same price.

So, if you had 30 bucks where would it go? The promex is "on sale".
      HI Dicecedes and welcome to the forum. We're just a bunch of baggers and always glad to meet some new members.

Between those two bags I'm personally partial to the Title 8x5 due to shape, but there is probably little difference between them. If money is the main issue in chosing, Go with the one you can get cheaper. Either way, you'll be getting a great bag. I haven't ever seen a 4214 I wanted to use on a regular basis. I had two and they were SLOW.

As an alternative, you could also get the Red Title classic 9x6. The classic model is a bit smaller than the "regular", and I find the classic 9x6 is about the same size as the regular yellow 8x5. It has a different shape, weight and rebound action, but it's a good bag also, and pretty inexpensive. It is also a bit lighter than the yellow.

Hope it helps.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dicecedes
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2009

Thanks for the quick response

Speedbag, you website help me get here. So thanks.

I will probably end up with the title since everyone that has one seems to give it a good review. The pro mex has a regular price of like 70 so I thought maybe I should get that since the title is regular priced a 30. Cost is not an issue on a bag but was on the platforms. You all have some nice platforms. The upgrade from the beginner to the platform just outside the entry level was a big improvement for me.

Also, I have 2 of the chain link swivels from everlast. One is about 10 years old and the other is new. There is a difference in looks but do not know about performance. The old one I can see the bearings but the new one I cannot. Which one should I keep?

I also am considering buying a new swivel. Any one use one of those new types with the u bolt. When I was boxing, the chain was the one everyone wanted to use. But I see folks here with some serious skills on all types of swivels. Definitely need some time on the bags after seeing some of you all.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I will probably end up with the title since everyone that has one seems to give it a good review. The pro mex has a regular price of like 70 so I thought maybe I should get that since the title is regular priced a
          Welcome to the forums! I've not hit on the pro-mex bags yet, but the Title ones are excellent. Probably can't lose with either of them.

I also am considering buying a new swivel. Any one use one of those new types with the u bolt. When I was boxing, the chain was the one everyone wanted to use. But I see folks here with some serious skills on all types of swivels. Definitely need some time on the bags after seeing some of you all.
          Generally speaking, most of us hit "Bible style" - which means from the front, sides, and back. General consensus is that the ball hook is the optimal swivel for those purposes. If you care to only hit front to back, chain or u Bolt is probably fine.

The ball hook is challenging and requires more precision, compared to the other kinds. It's much easier to get more speed (at least front or back hitting) with a chain link.

Comment

• Dicecedes
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2009

Thanks Tim.

I have seen the rack video and it was very helpful. Watching you on the title 8x5 was cool.

I will probably end up with the title and keep the chain for a while.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speedbag, you website help me get here. So thanks.

....Also, I have 2 of the chain link swivels from everlast. One is about 10 years old and the other is new. There is a difference in looks but do not know about performance. The old one I can see the bearings but the new one I cannot. Which one should I keep?

Thanks again.
              Personally, I would keep both, for the parts should be interchangeable for a breakdown. There is no interchanging speed bag manufacture swivel parts. Only and Everlast chain link can intermingle with another everlast chain link. If I had to chunk one, I would keep the old swivel and toss the new, due to better quality. From my own experience, I have found "older" is usually better in the world of most speed bag equipment. Better quality and performance. The new chain link clips are cheap and flimsy in comparison to the older models. I also think the housing steel was better in years past.

Tim is correct that most of us "360 punches" that hit from all four sides of the bag prefer the ballhook swivel, but the other swivel styles will work just fine. You may notice more consistency and fewer breakdowns with the ballhook, especially when changing front-to-side or side-to-reverse punching but not all the time. Occassionally the chainlinks will not align fast enough to allow the expected rebound angle, and the bag will come back at a different angle than optimal for your next punch. You may not miss, and may compensate for that without a hitch, OR you may completely mishit the bag, creating a noticeable halt to the rhythm and punching pattern.

There are baggers now that can hit with exceptional speed from all bag areas with fists and elbows for long periods of time, on ALL swivel types. Preference is more a personal choice than a proven fact of one being "the best" and accepted by all baggers.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dicecedes
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jun 2009

Decided on the title

I bought the title.

I will keep both swivels, thanks speedbag.

MelloYello, I agree with you on the over inflated retails.

I will let you know how I do with the title. Thanks fellas.

D

Comment

• Jordan
                  • Jun 2009

ball swivel

I actually have currently the plastic ball swivel. I've never used the u hook or anything, but I was considering it. The thing is, (and I dont know if this is just mine or its all of em) that the hook that screws into the actually plastic ball will come loose if I hit for a prolonged period of time, which can obviously screw up a workout when your bag literally flies off your platform lol. Is there anyone else that has experienced that, or would recommend a solution?

Comment

• Dicecedes
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2009

Title gold 8x5

It arrived in 3 days.

The bag is awesome. Soft leather, no break in required and consistent. I still have my chain swivel which I plan to change. Thinking of the watkins and the everlast top pro u bolt. Do you think all these will work with the everlast chain swivel base? I am hoping so.

The bag is so nice, I want another size. This damn thing is addicting! Thinking about the 9x6 title. Are these bags too close? Should I opt for the 10x 7?

Comment

• riqal
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                      I actually have currently the plastic ball swivel. I've never used the u hook or anything, but I was considering it. The thing is, (and I dont know if this is just mine or its all of em) that the hook that screws into the actually plastic ball will come loose if I hit for a prolonged period of time, which can obviously screw up a workout when your bag literally flies off your platform lol. Is there anyone else that has experienced that, or would recommend a solution?
                      Glue the hook into the plastic ball with superglue. It won't ever come out again.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

It arrived in 3 days.

The bag is awesome. Soft leather, no break in required and consistent. I still have my chain swivel which I plan to change. Thinking of the watkins and the everlast top pro u bolt. Do you think all these will work with the everlast chain swivel base? I am hoping so.

The bag is so nice, I want another size. This damn thing is addicting! Thinking about the 9x6 title. Are these bags too close? Should I opt for the 10x 7?
                        That may depend on what you want a larger bag for. If you want to work power at slower punching speeds, go for the 10x7. But you can get a similiar effect by getting the regular 9x6 and blowing it up a bit mushy, or underinflated.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dicecedes
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jun 2009

Thanks Speedbag.

I think the 9x6 with less air will probably do fine by me. After hitting the title gold, the everlast 4214 does nothing for me.

I was able to spend a lot time with the bag this weekend.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks Speedbag.

I think the 9x6 with less air will probably do fine by me. After hitting the title gold, the everlast 4214 does nothing for me.

I was able to spend a lot time with the bag this weekend.
                            I have had several 4214's and I never liked them. Maybe it was shape or the leather or whatever but they just seemed dead. I gave them away some time ago. On the other hand, I do like other 10x7's and use the title for teaching. When hitting to slower music I normally use the 9x6 slightly underinflated.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jordan
                              • Jun 2009

It's interesting you mention that actually, I currently am working with an everlast "speedbag set" which includes a vinvyl bag and a 24 in drum, which is pretty thin. I was thinking to myself that same thing the other day, that the bag seemed "flat" like it had no spunk to it i guess, I tried setting stuff on top of the platform... even overinflating the bag a bit, but it just seems kinda dead, like trying to bounce a flat basketball. I was just wondering if its just a crappy bag (after all its not leather its vinyl) or if its the platform or what...Idk, but if anybody has any Idea let me know. Heres a link to my setup:

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...