X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevdawg0324
    • Oct 2006

Metal s hook swivel

Question: i just bought a plastic swivel to replace my everlast chain link swivel, which is a 100 times better by the way. now i read a lot of great things about the metal version of the s swivel but the availability is not there. now, i was out in the garage and disassembled the chain link swivel leaving just the base and the screw part together with the 5/8" hole in it. then i measured the hole in the plastic swivel and it was 7/8". couldn't one take a drill and bore the hole of the metal base from 5/8" to 7/8". then go find a metal ball bearing of some sort, then center it and drill it then get the s hook from the plastic one and youve got yourself a metal s hook swivel. now this may seem like a little bit of work but there doesnt seem to be a lot of the original ones around. and being that the s hook swivel will give you the better rebounds, anyone with a drill can do it. maybe i just like to work with my hands, but ill give it a try.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

S hook swivel

I don't know of anyone doing that, but it might work. The difference is, In the new Plastic ballhooks their is no way to adjust or tighten the metal S-shank that goes into the plastic. Some people say glueing it will work to keep it in. In the original metal ballhooks, their was an nternal metal screw that could tighten the shank inside the ball. You would use an Allen wrench to tighten it. That is one reason why it was a "Two piece" ball hook. You had to take the bottom part off to get to the steel ball inside. But in the plastic one piece ball hook doesn't allow this.

For your suggestion I'm not sure how you will secure the Shank inside the ball. Keep us informed on how it works.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
      • Oct 2006

i was thinking of taking a carbon steel sphere ( a little less than an inch) and drilling a through the center of the ball. then screwing the s hook into place and put a allen ste screw on the other side. that would hold it into place. it looks like the everlast chain link and everlast metal s hook swivel bases are the same. just a bigger hole on one maybe?
      Last edited by Kevdawg0324; 10-13-2006, 12:22 AM. Reason: wrong size

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
        • Oct 2006

is it me, or do the bases look identical?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kevdawg0324 View Post
          is it me, or do the bases look identical?
          After 30+ years of messing with swivels, I can say definitively, YES and NO. MOST Everlast swivels (chainlink & Ballhook) have interchangeable base units. But I have noticed there is an occassion threading issue, were I think they used different milling for the threads during different "makes and models". But In general, all the Everlast swivel parts were interchangeable.

But I had a very strange thing happen tonight (10/12/06) I was browsing through the local ACADEMY SPORTS Looking at gloves, and speed bags - and they had several Everlast Freestanding frames (the one I saw is not shown on their website..) with a two piece metal ball hook attached. The lastest version by everast had a plastic base that attaches to the board, and a standard metal ball S-hook attachment. I asked a staff member about it, and he said that particular unit always comes with that type swivel. They had another unit right next to it with a single piece plastic ballhook. He said the one with the two piece metal ballhook sold more (less expensive) than the other style - about 3 or 4 a month, and always has that metal two peice swivel.

Hmmm. That's weird. I'd like to know who their supplier is for that unit.

Back to your idea, I'd like to see what you design and make. The world is waiting for a decent Ball Hook to arrive.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kevdawg0324
            • Oct 2006

i dont just want to use the base part, but i also want to use the part that the chain link is attached to. ill just unbolt the chain link part and install a metal ball with the eye hook and s hook screwed into the ball. is that part the same? the part that screws into the base. maybe a wider hole where the ball/chain exsisted?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Swivel

Hmmm. That I don't know. The chain link attachment doesn't appear to have a hole as big in the bottom part. You might be able to drill it out wider.

But I don't really know. It's an interesting thought.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

I too like to tinker around and I have a woodworking shop and some metal working tools. However, without buying a very expensive (probably at least $3000) metal milling machine, I don't really see (edit: any problems with) how you could really produce a quality metal ball and hook swivel. Hmmmm. I could justify the cost of a milling machine with my wife if I told her I could sell 150 swivels at $20 each to pay for the machine. Of course I'll "forget" to tell her that I have to buy high quality stainless metal stock to make them out of. Give me an excuse guys, give me an excuse.... Any excuse I can find to buy a nice tool I always appreciate. I could make ball/hook swivels with one of these: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G3103

If you check ebay often, you can find the old metal ball and hook swivels still for sale. I bought one new in the box last year for about $20 shipped.

Sometimes you can find them that are being sold with old bags that people are getting rid of.

I haven't check it lately, but I usually see several each month for sale. When I found them, I was posting the auction on the forum here, but there didn't seem to be much interest so I quit doing it.

I just checked ebay and found the following: http://cgi.ebay.com/everlast-speed-b...QQcmdZViewItem

The link above is for an entire speedbag setup, but I'd recommend you email the seller to make sure they are selling the swivel that is pictured. Several people including myself have ordered metal swivels only to receive plastic. From what I've seen, the big sellers do this, but the little guys don't. The lady I bought mine from got hers at a garage sale.

There's still a lot out there, but they're kind of sporadic.
                Last edited by Chris M; 06-13-2007, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• rellik134
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Nov 2006

Is the metal ball alot louder than the plastic ball? If the plastic was at a level 3 on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the loudest, what is the metal ball at?

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by rellik134 View Post
                    Is the metal ball alot louder than the plastic ball? If the plastic was at a level 3 on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the loudest, what is the metal ball at?
                    If plastic was a 3, then I'd say the metal one is a 5 or 6.

Comment

• rellik134
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Nov 2006

So almost 2x as loud. Hrmmmm. Is the metal worth it?

Comment

• Chris M
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Mar 2006

In my opinion, it is worth it. It really is easier hitting the bag when you can hear the sound.

The metal one is more durable IMO, my plastic ball hook swivel is pretty chewed up around the hole and I didn't really use it all that much. I mostly keep it as a backup. I started looking for replacement swivels when the plastic one kept coming apart on me.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...