X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jordan
    • Jun 2009

Getting the most out of a workout

Hey guys, im new to the speed bag, and the thing that seems to be bothering me the most is that I can hit the bags for long periods of time, and not really feel much of anything. In everything i've read it says even 4-5 minutes of constant punching can be hard, but it seems like I just go on forever and dont really feel "the burn" like I do if I were lifting or something.

Anyway my question is if there is something I might be doing wrong, formwise or whatever that might be making it hard to see any results.

I know thats kind of a hard question to answer without seeing my form, but any help is appreciated. --thanks

xx--Oh I almost forgot I'm using the everlast vynl bag 11x8 i think....didn't know if the size of the bag or quality might contribute to the problem.
    Last edited by Jordan; 06-18-2009, 03:04 PM. Reason: forgot something
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hi Jordan, and welcome to the forum.

You're 24, and from what I "read" in your post, you participate in different forms of exercise. So I guess you're in pretty decent shape. Those two facts can account for you "not really feel much of anything."

How do you punch? Do you use the basic 1-2-3 rhythm? Do you keep your elbows at your side, or are your upper arms and elbows parallel to the floor? Punching for an extended period of time with your elbows "up" should cause a burn after a while.

The 11x8 bag is considered large and you should expend more energy from punching that sized bag than a smaller bag.

What you have is a "good" problem." Just decide what type of speed bagging you want to get into and then follow up with it.

And, yes, a video of you punching would help out.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Biff makes some good points. Arm position, punching style and bag size make a difference in the physical effects. Some people seem to punch more efficiently than others. They make it look easy, with seemingly little effort to punch at high speed. Others look like there jarring themselves to death during the workout. Perhaps you are just naturally more efficient in your movements, rhythm and timing. Perhaps you are also in pretty decent shape already, doing high rep activities with the upper body.

It's hard to tell without some video to see how you hit. I look forward to seeing that.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jordan
        • Jun 2009

Yeah I definitely use the 1-2-3 rythym, and i've watched all of "speedbag's" video from speedbag central. I'm not really sure about the arms parallel thing, so far I've just kind of hit the way it feels most natural. Unfortunately I dont really have anything to take a video with yet, but I'll work on that, and keep those things in mind. --thanks guys

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...