• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Inputs needed

Not to misuse this forum, and at the risk of sounding a bit foolish, I could sure use this forum's input.

A lot of us box in different fashions, or at least that is what I gather, on various boxing equipment as if we were boxing with a person, not just doing pure hitting. I often use the speedbag and double end bag doing combinations and jabs as I duck and weave around the moving bag. Heavy bags and free-standing bags at least let you punch but with nothing to duck and weave at. I often wished I had "punching arms" coming at me at waist to head height as if they were "sparring" back at me at random to make the workout more interesting and realistic to boxing; granted not the same but enough to make it interestingly similar.

Without getting into much detail, if a device was on sale for around $400 that would box back at you at various adjustable speeds (fast being VERY competitive), hit at random and constantly (constantly meaning jabs and combinations with slight delays in between) at random heights and angles from the waist up, would that be of interest?

It would work with the person's existing boxing equipment, not replace it (providing that whatever is being used does not have too much movement back and side to side). It only supplies the arms doing what is listed above. The arms can't "hurt" you but boxing head gear should be worn to protect the eyes and nose.

Again, I'd appreciate inputs.
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

Hey!

Yeah, that would be good. I just wonder how long till it would break down.

From what you've describe, for $400 does sound a bit cheap for a mechanical device that is able to perform all of those movements. A lot of moving parts increases the likelyhood of breakdown. It would have to be well maintained.

What is the availability for spare parts like? That would probably be my strongest consideration.
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Thanks Roc.

Briefly, my last job involved a lot of making prototypes and then testing them to get out all the flaws, so I totally understand your concerns about breakage and proving itself in real life for a long period of time and abuse.

After I thought of the idea of what I have in mind, I looked at patents of what already exist. For me, they are way too complicated with too many parts. If you'd like me to paste several of them on this forum thread, just let me know.

Remember too, the "boxing arms" and its stand don't take the abuse because it's your punching device already used that takes the punches. The stand is behind the punching device and the arms are to the side of it.

If you decided to block the arm by the side and push it off in any direction, the idea is that the arm will freely go in any direction and immediately return once the side block is released. The stand base is either weighted down by the existing punching device, such as a free-standing punching bag base, or in the case of using it with punching devices with no floor base, all it would need is some weights or bag of sand put on the stand's floor plate.

Talk is cheap, but I've got the prototype arm to punch very fast and been making needed improvements to it. It all takes time and money, but I don't see any show-stoppers yet. An engineer I used to work with has ideas for the brains of the movements. That's why I posed the question to get inputs from people who already use boxing equipment rather than pay money to the various think-tanks that score your idea on profitability.

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

'If you'd like me to paste several of them on this forum thread, just let me know'.

Yeah!

Why not?

I'd like to see 'em.

Sorry. I'm a bit P.U.I at the moment.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

As described, I think the combat training world would love it.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kyle
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2006

i think its a great idea...me sister has gotten into boxing seriously lately and has explained to me hot she is having trouble reasing punches while sparring and i think that if she had a device like that it wud help her get used to punches being thrown at her.
            ________
            Laguna Beach Resort Jometien Condos
            Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Thanks everyone for their inputs. I'm going to keep on pursuing this, but in reality, I assume it will be about 6 months or more before the finished product is ready to sell. It's worth the effort in my book.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                Thanks everyone for their inputs. I'm going to keep on pursuing this, but in reality, I assume it will be about 6 months or more before the finished product is ready to sell. It's worth the effort in my book.
                Hang in there and follow your dream. Once you finish your project you won't have to make excuses why you never finished. It took over 5 years to write the Speed Bag Bible and get it published. Another year for the video's.

You can do it!
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Speedbag, your words mean a lot to me. Just like you said, I'd kick myself for not going for it. Today I spent a few hours in my hot garage working on the arm with more parts that I bought. More progress was made but now I see I need to get a few more items to see how it improves it. It's a bit frustrating, but I sure like what I see so far.

Just last night I was looking at Youtube to find videos of the Reflex Bag in use because I wanted to get an idea of how that spring reacted for a possible use in the arm assembly. There are only a few videos on Reflex Bags but enough to give me the idea of the spring's reaction. Anyway, some of your videos came up. I've seen of lot of yours before but one particular one that I watched last night, you were showing advanced hits. I marveled at how you not only thought of such moves, but how you had the drive to master them. It is so good to know that by your patience to teach others, your art will live on.

Even though I can't hit bags except for forward punches only, due to a rebuilt shoulder, I just love watching how you and the people you taught get the speed bag to "dance". Many people are thankful you pursued your dream. Wow! Five years. Now that's really something.

Comment

• Roc Stone
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2007

I just love watching how you and the people you taught get the speed bag to "dance". Many people are thankful you pursued your dream. Wow! Five years. Now that's really something.

I'll second that. It's been a pleasure

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      As described, I think the combat training world would love it.
                      Agreed, and I think there is a sizable portion of the fitness population who can't work out in a true gym setting due to family or professional obligations, or just the sheer convenience of working out in the garage or at home. I think your target price would be acceptable to that population and a device such as this would be perfect for the lone boxing enthusiast.

Comment

• atgatt
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Tim, thanks for your opinion. I tend to agree with you but it is best to check with others that have more of a feel for this equipment and sport, so it's not just me boxed in with my thoughts.

Spent about 6 hours working on the punching arm today and it could punch just as fast as I could when I put my fist right next to its fist from a dead stop and raced it from engagement. Yet, when I let it punch my face anywhere along its punch reach, with no head gear, it's just a slight pump. Just what I was trying to accomplish. It's more fun than I thought too just trying to dodge it or block it before it hits me. I look forward to getting the whole project done.

Again, thank you.

Oh, one more aspect about this device is that it will allow a feeling of sparring but without the damage sparring does. Latest studies show that head blows really increase the likelihood for Alzheimer's later in life.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                          I just love watching how you and the people you taught get the speed bag to "dance". Many people are thankful you pursued your dream. Wow! Five years. Now that's really something.

I'll second that. It's been a pleasure
                          Here here! Bottoms up for Mr. SPEEDBAG and his Speed Bag Bible! YEEHAH!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speedbag, your words mean a lot to me. Just like you said, I'd kick myself for not going for it. Today I spent a few hours in my hot garage working on the arm with more parts that I bought. More progress was made but now I see I need to get a few more items to see how it improves it. It's a bit frustrating, but I sure like what I see so far.
                            I know that frustration. There were times when I actually quite working on the book, thinking it was "too complicated" or "too technical" or "too long". There was a time when I thought it had become much too expensive. I spent hundreds of dollars on film, development and halftones, most of which never made it into the finished product. Everytime I quit some club member or bagger would re-energize me to continue and finish. You don't really need others to believe in YOUR dream to make it come true, but it sure helps.

Even though I can't hit bags except for forward punches only, due to a rebuilt shoulder, I just love watching how you and the people you taught get the speed bag to "dance". Many people are thankful you pursued your dream. Wow! Five years. Now that's really something.
                            Yes, I have heard from many who have thanked me for that, and that is why you must continue working on your idea. You never know what will be the "key" to help someone else improve themselves. Many struggle in boxing/sparring training, for various reasons (fear, funds, no coach etc.) and YOUR device may be the key that makes it right for them. You never know, and everyone's contribution matters. I'm sure many people will be very glad you kept on until they could use your product.

Good luck and keep on keeping on.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Speedbag, not to sound corny, but your words have been ringing through my head. Oh hell, you wore your heart out on your sleeve so I'll do the same.

Few months ago I got laid off after about 20 years with this company. No big deal and there is plenty of it going around. Thing is, wished I thought of this when I had an income because doing prototypes takes money even on the cheap.

As I said previously, I got the arm to work very well, but I found a product that made it work better than I imagined it. Come to find out today to have that product made for me, I have to order a large amount plus the fee of retooling for it. There's a way around this issue but I just haven't thought of it yet.

Like you, I believe in the product and you've given me a different view I didn't see before. Thanks for the inspiration.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...