• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chiefbigred
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

New Bagger

Hi guys,

Came upon your site while googling speed bags. I decided to share my info, but I don't know how active I will be on the site. Probably more of a lurker than a poster.

I work for an offshore construction company. The vessel I work on has a gym in it. In the gym on the wall is a speed bag. I have never hit a bag before this one. One day I decided I was going to give it a shot. Much like the rest of you, I had to experiment with height, distance, etc.

The 'drum' is a piece of plate steel welded to the wall. Not adjustable. I am not adjustable either, so I have to stand on a stool while hitting. But I will get to more of that.

Anyways, I have been working on the bag for about 2 months. I am freeking hooked, and I am considering setting something up at home when I finally get home.

What I have to work with out here is crap. As I mentioned, the 'drum' is a sheet of plate steel. The swivel is of the plastic/delrin type. The hook is pretty worn from the years of metal on metal contact. The bag is an Everlast 4210 (Don't know the size, but it is a larger one).

I use the bag as cardio in between my weight sets. I do mostly front rolls 4R then 4L. Very few front punches. Tonight I just started the 1x1 (machine gun I think you guys call it). It's difficult with this bag.

I get the best work out by clobbering the bag as hard as I can. It doesn't rebound well if it isn't hit hard enough.

Anyways, that is my story. Your input is appreciated. Thanks for letting me join.

chiefbigred (my common handle for forums)
    Attached Files
  • chiefbigred
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

Oh...and the sway of the vessel sometimes complicates things. haha.

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Welcome to the forum, Chief. Sounds like you have a unique situation.

The 'drum' is a piece of plate steel welded to the wall. Not adjustable. I am not adjustable either, so I have to stand on a stool while hitting.

Oh...and the sway of the vessel sometimes complicates things.

While on board the ship, you're pretty much "stuck" with the setup in place. But it seems you're making the best of it. Just remember, any day you can hit the bag is better than a day you can't hit the bag.

Once you get home and decide how you want to use the bag (cardio workout, standard boxing 1-2-3 rhythm, free style...) you can choose a platform and bag size(s).

Comment

• chiefbigred
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2009

Thanks Biff,

I think the thing to do is pick up a couple bags. I do like the heavier bag for the effort and strength training. I would like a smaller one, just to develop my skill.

My hands are taking a beating on this old bag. The cracked leather is cracking my skin, but I hate those stupid cheap ass gloves. Plus it is manlier toughening up my hands. ha. And the real kicker is, all I want to do is go back down in the gym and keep practicing. But I know I need rest.

I really like the cage setups. I think if I hang on a wall, I am going to drive some people out of the house (me!).

Comment

• The Baggist
          Vert Baggin' Master
          • May 2009

Welcome to the forum CHIEFBIGRED.......Looks like you caught the speed bag bug! Actually as long as your setup doesn't have to much vibration it looks like a pretty good one. That 4210 bag is a great bag to learn on and that plastic Everlast swivel also is great for beginning to advanced bagging(if it is too worn it is fairly cheap to replace).... Good luck and Good Bagging!!!!!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey Chief,

Great having an offshore man in the group!

The 4210 is an 11x8 and a great size bag for your setup and location. I really liked hitting that "big Red" back years ago.

You can help your hands by making a couple of wraps of cloth gauze around your knuckles and wrist if you need to. After a while your hands will get used to it. Stay away from those cheap mitten style slick gloves. Personally I think they are useless and will retard your progress. LIke Biff says, when you get home, you can pretty much chose any kind of setup you want and your home will allow.

Keep punching!
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by chiefbigred View Post
              Hi guys,
              Welcome to the forums.

The 'drum' is a piece of plate steel welded to the wall. Not adjustable. I am not adjustable either, so I have to stand on a stool while hitting. But I will get to more of that.
              How are the rebounds off that flat metal? Seems like that might work ok, but I've never hit on a platform of that type.

As we often say, any equipment is better than no equipment!

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Hey and Welcome!
                sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by chiefbigred View Post
                  I get the best work out by clobbering the bag as hard as I can. It doesn't rebound well if it isn't hit hard enough.

Anyways, that is my story. Your input is appreciated. Thanks for letting me join.

chiefbigred (my common handle for forums)
                  Chiefbigred! Welcome! See... you know that bagging rules and that's cool!
                  I thought I was going to read a post from someone telling you to put some weight on top of the drum to increase rebound and stability on top of quieting it down some. When I joined up here, I read that a lot as the first answer to increasing rebound and not having to pound the bag so hard. Pounding a bag with minimall rebound is definitely a great workout, but it's nice to have the choice to relax a hair and work some of the advanced techniques that all the insane bag cats do!
                  I have a 20-30 lb. bag of dog food up on top. It works well. I also have an old flimsy type of suitcase on top of another that has 20 lbs of pants in it. On top of that are some old tired chains in a box. And in the Speed Bag Truck, we just throw a 15-20 lb box of gaffer tape up there.
                  But, for some strange reason, when I did like others have done, and bought a 50 lb. bag of sand, the shake got worse! I've never heard anyone talk of that and I never asked, but nonetheless, it was odd!
                  BAG ON!

Comment

• chiefbigred
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2009

I tracked down our medic and got a roll of ace bandage/gauze material. Should do the trick for my sore bits.

I also committed to ordering some equipment today. Granted I only ordered some bags and a swivel, but it is a start. Maybe after my last hitch out here in India, I can get serious about a set up at home.

I will be on a different boat on my next hitch. I am thinking that maybe I can get them to weld up a 'drum' in their gym like the one here. So I will bring one of the bags I ordered out here.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...