• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • colonel
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

Some questions

i'm gonna start working out at home, which means i need to buy a speed bag. i just want a basic speed bag, normal size, not too small, not too big, that would be a good buy for as cheap as i can get it. if anyone could point me in the right direction for acquiring this, it would be appreciated. thank you
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

The ideal beginner setup (in my opinion) is one of these title bags (10x7, 9x6, or 8x5 size)

plus this everlast platform:

That combination will be affordable, but is high quality enough such that you might never have to invest in add'l equipment.

There's cheaper stuff available, but if it doesn't work well, is it really a bargain?

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Not only that, poor equipment can give you a most discouraging experience, which can turn you off to what is a wonderful activity, both physically, and mentally.

Comment

• colonel
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2009

oh wow, so getting anything cheaper then that isn't worth it? cause that seems like a lot to me :x

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Hey Colonel. Tim is right on the money! And the platform he links is awesome! AFter two of the lesser ones, I bought that one. And it looks cool too. But it is double the $ of the other platform that includes a bag and stuff.....
          If money is an issue, then just go and get the basics. If you are into it, then you will feel the urge to buy more bags and swivs and platforms, like I did.
          Also, check ebay and all that stuff.
          It is safe to say that all of us on the forum are so into it and we NOW know that if we spent a little bit more, we would have been happier from the get-go. But, we did NOT know that starting out. Well, I knew I was into but not everyone does.
          So, I got the 59.99 Everlast Special. It was a gift that sat around unassembled for 8 years. I still can't believe it was that long. It came with a 10X7 bag, platform, jump rope, wraps and gloves, (the gloves are not that happenin)...
          Just find the studs in the wall and hang it! Put something weighty on top to chill the shakes, chill the reverberation of bass (low rumbling sounds emitted from the punching), and increase the rebound.
          If you are not looking forward to bagging everyday after the first 30 minutes, then maybe it won't be your new "thing". At that point, you can probably return the stuff. With that said, when you buy the equipment, ask about the return policy.
          Anyhow, all suggestions here are great and coming from guys that have asked the same questions. But I do see a lot of people here building their own boards for less than the store bought ones. I don't have time for that but it can save you some dough.
          Speed bags and the art of bagging rules! When I started I was so psyched just to get the basic punches together and that was cool enough for me! I didn't know enough about bags and swivs and all this and that. I just knew I had to hit the dang thing straight and evenly! Then I learned a fist roll! YEAH! See.... that mattered more than all the other stuff.
          Get a bag up and hit it!
          If you are psyched, then you too will possibly start posting long winded messages late at night on this forum! Haha.....

From Portugal on a day off....
          BAG ON!
          Last edited by spinsmashpop; 06-09-2009, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• colonel
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2009

ahh, thank you for your advice spinsmashpop, very much appreciated. i'm always psyched to hit the speed bag, so i'll defiantly be doing this for awhile, which means i should probably get the one tim posted if i really want a good bag it seems like. how much would it cost to build my own set up?

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

If you're handy with basic woodworking tools, you can put one together for under fifty bucks. A trip to your local Lowes, Home Depot ,etc will yield wood rounds (either particle board or pine) 24-30" dia. Some 2x4 for the braces or some heavy reinforced shelf brackets and presto! You've got a platform. Then all you need is a swivel. Those are available from Title as well as the bag. The ball hook style is the swivel of choice on this site but we have members that use other styles.
              Another thing. Everyone here is ready willing and able to give you advice and support. This is one great bunch of people here.

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Yes, building your own is probably the most cost effective way to do it.

See some examples here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=295

Comment

• Murph
                  • Jan 2009

Hey Colonel, dax_q (a forum member) built a very effective & simple setup. If your looking for a solid platform on the cheap his is really impressive.

I think he said it was all from lowe's? bracket's, pine table top & 2x4's
                  Give him a shout for the details.

Still learning.....Just got a new swivel, the Watkins Ball Hook. It is a little faster than the everlast plastic one. Had a little trouble keeping up here ...

Comment

• colonel
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    If you're handy with basic woodworking tools, you can put one together for under fifty bucks. A trip to your local Lowes, Home Depot ,etc will yield wood rounds (either particle board or pine) 24-30" dia. Some 2x4 for the braces or some heavy reinforced shelf brackets and presto! You've got a platform. Then all you need is a swivel. Those are available from Title as well as the bag. The ball hook style is the swivel of choice on this site but we have members that use other styles.
                    Another thing. Everyone here is ready willing and able to give you advice and support. This is one great bunch of people here.
                    this is really really good support guys, thank you all. i appreciate all of this. I think i will try to build one, sounds like fun and seems pretty simple.

Comment

• dax_q
                      • Jan 2008

Hey Murph, thanks for the shout. I consider my set up to be modest, but I appreciate the love. It works pretty good for me and I have a light bag on there. There are a lot of nicer set ups on this site, but as long as you can hit a speed bag underneath it, it is good enough.
                      -Dax

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
                        Hey Murph, thanks for the shout. I consider my set up to be modest, but I appreciate the love. It works pretty good for me and I have a light bag on there. There are a lot of nicer set ups on this site, but as long as you can hit a speed bag underneath it, it is good enough.
                        -Dax
                        That's the spirit!

It's not about what you got, it's using what you have.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...