• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • n00b
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

Help the n00b please

Greetings all,

I believe that you can all identify what the attached picture depicts. ;-) The drum is laminated from two 3/4 inch pieces of plywood, radiused around the edges, stained and is awaiting a polyurethane coating. Its diameter is 28 inches.

Consequently, I need a help with selection of the remaining two components.

Regarding the swivel, I would prefer a quiet and fast one, in this order of priorities. I am not much concerned about a price since I would argue that a swivel is a one-time, lifetime investment, so why not buy the best. Furthermore, the prices seem rather reasonable anyway.

Additionally, what is the best way to mount the swivel, given the material and construction of my drum?

The speed bag is, in my opinion, a different issue, as the requirements change with skill level/experience, which I have none.

Could you please also advice on a vendor. Like everybody, I like deals, but I prefer a good customer service over trying to save few pennies.

If I have forgotten any pertinent information, or made wrong conclusions/assumptions, please do not hesitate to correct me.

Thank you,

N
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by n00b View Post
    Greetings all,

I believe that you can all identify what the attached picture depicts. ;-) The drum is laminated from two 3/4 inch pieces of plywood, radiused around the edges, stained and is awaiting a polyurethane coating. Its diameter is 28 inches.

Consequently, I need a help with selection of the remaining two components.

Regarding the swivel, I would prefer a quiet and fast one, in this order of priorities. I am not much concerned about a price since I would argue that a swivel is a one-time, lifetime investment, so why not buy the best. Furthermore, the prices seem rather reasonable anyway.

Additionally, what is the best way to mount the swivel, given the material and construction of my drum?

The speed bag is, in my opinion, a different issue, as the requirements change with skill level/experience, which I have none.

Could you please also advice on a vendor. Like everybody, I like deals, but I prefer a good customer service over trying to save few pennies.

If I have forgotten any pertinent information, or made wrong conclusions/assumptions, please do not hesitate to correct me.

Thank you,

N

Hi n00b. Welcome to the board.

Swivels, fast and quiet:

standard chainlink

speed swivel u-bolt

most are pretty decent for a beginner.

Best way to mount the board

I normally buy my boards with the hanging angle irons.

here is a dual u-bracket wall unit. these are hard to make on your own.

This is an Angle Iron bracket
    which is easier to make yourself.

there are other "do it yourself" styles that others may recommend, and some pretty original systems made by some of the board baggers. Personally, I'm no carpenter or design whiz, and I've always stayed with pre-made wall hardware.

Bags have lots of styles and brands. You can't go wrong with any of the main brands at Titleboxing show here, or Ringside. For a beginner and your board size, I would stick with a 10x7 or 9x6. It won't be long you will probably move to an 8x5.

sorry I couldn't help more on how to hang it. Mine all come pre-drilled with hangers.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• n00b
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2009

Dear Alan,

thank you for the welcome and an informative reply.

I have poked around the site, (thank you for hosting it) and based on your recommendation and other people comments, I will go with the "u-bolt" type, but based on the poster's experience http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14, http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=871, it appears that Ringside http://www.ringside.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PS%203 is preferred over the Title that you posted. Any comments?

Regarding the bag, what do you think about the SB-6, depicted here: http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html. It is 9x6 as you recommended.

Sorry for all the questions, but sometimes the newbiness (is there a word like this?) comes with a slight paralysis by analysis issue. ;-)

N

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Dear Alan,

thank you for the welcome and an informative reply.

I have poked around the site, (thank you for hosting it)....
        N
        Actually, I don't host this site, that honor belongs to TIM. This is his vision and web mastering. I might add there is none better.

....based on your recommendation and other people comments, I will go with the "u-bolt" type, but based on the poster's experience http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14, http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...read.php?t=871, it appears that Ringside http://www.ringside.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PS%203 is preferred over the Title that you posted. Any comments?
        N
        The Ringside model is a very good choice. I think it may have a bit tighter construction than the other brands of the same type. Here is a bit about the U-bolt swivels

..Regarding the bag, what do you think about the SB-6, depicted here: http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html. It is 9x6 as you recommended. N
        Yes, the SB-6 is a very nice bag. I like it a lot.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• n00b
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2009

Dear Alan,

thank you once again, I think I am set as far as the purchase.

I was wondering if you could do me one more favor: measure the base diameter and thickness of the Ringside swivel. What I am thinking about is to recess/countersink the swivel into the board, thus shortening the bag travel. This is, of course, for a future, but since I am manufacturing, why not do it?

N

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Dear Alan,

thank you once again, I think I am set as far as the purchase.

I was wondering if you could do me one more favor: measure the base diameter and thickness of the Ringside swivel. What I am thinking about is to recess/countersink the swivel into the board, thus shortening the bag travel. This is, of course, for a future, but since I am manufacturing, why not do it?

N
            If I had a Ringside U-bolt, I would. I did have one a few years ago, but like most things I don't use, I gave it to someone. Personally I use ballhooks, and right now I'm hitting a personally customized version of metal ball inside the plastic housing. Fast and quite.

But since you are manufacturing, you could actually cut out the whole center and completely recess it by attaching a dummy board over (on top) of your laminated board. Then you could attach the swivel to that board. Your holes in the board for hanging hardware would have to come through both boards.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I was wondering if you could do me one more favor: measure the base diameter
              I have a Ringside U-bolt, but have never hung it. I'm a ball hook die hard. If I had a 3rd platform I would hang it, just haven't reached that point yet.

At any rate, the base diameter is 3.5"

... and thickness of the Ringside swivel.
              The base is .25" thick.

What I am thinking about is to recess/countersink the swivel into the board, thus shortening the bag travel. This is, of course, for a future, but since I am manufacturing, why not do it?
              That's how i would do it, countersink to shorten travel.

Hope that helps, and show us some pix when you're done !!!!

Comment

• n00b
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jun 2009

Dear Alan,

thank you for the reply.

Dear Tim,

Thank you for the measurements.

I have a Ringside U-bolt, but have never hung it. I'm a ball hook die hard.
                In that case you should not jeopardize your swivel loyalty in case you get the third platform, and sell it to me. I was going to order it from here:

due to the great price.

I will post some pics when I am done.

N

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

In that case you should not jeopardize your swivel loyalty in case you get the third platform, and sell it to me. I was going to order it from here:
                  Thanks for looking out for my swivel loyalty, but I think I'm going to hang on to it. I plan to have multiple boards hanging soon, and I'll probably need that one.

Comment

• n00b
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jun 2009

Anytime, Tim.

N

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...