Need help with setting up equipment, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chele519
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2006

Need help with setting up equipment, please.

I have a 24" board that I've had since earlier this year. It came with an 11 x 8bag but I also bought a 9 x 6 and have been using that but just playing around with it. I've recently bought the Speedbag Bible DVD and was going to start following the program and learn the right way. It recommends using the bigger bag to start but with the swivel I have, the bigger bag extends past the edge of the board. I've checked around and can't find any swivels that are shorter than the one I've got, S hook type. I was thinking of trying to take off the S part of the swivel and attach the bag to the loop that the S attaches to. I don't know if this would even work and I don't want to ruin the swivel for nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just go back to the smaller bag and try to learn on that? Thanks for the help.
    Michele
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag setup

HI chele519

Welcome to the forum. The answer to your situation is NOT finding a shorter swivel. There is a little variation in swivel length but most are pretty close to the same size. The older ball hook (S-hook) everlast swivels (now plastic) are the shortest I have seen or used, but even that won't make a big difference. The real issue will be bag size, since that is the easiest variable to change.

IF the 11x8 bag doesn't go too far past the board edge, (and it shouldn't on a 24 inch board) then it will work alright. You see, the bag bottom, and the air valve may extend slightly beyond the board, but if the belly of the bag, (fattest part) still contacts just before the board edge, it shouldn't damage the board or bag. But if the full contact position of the bag belly actually hits on the board edge, it can crease the bag over time (hint: the bag will make thousands of rebounds on that contact point...), and chip the cheaper presswood boards. In my experience, that normally takes the longer bags, bigger than the 11x8. (like the 12x9 or 13x10 sizes).

And you can also use a smaller bag. Your 9x6 may be difficult to control at first, and if you use it I suggest you let a little air out of it to make it a bit mushy and slower. Inflate it just to the point that the outer leather is fully formed, smooth and not creased. Then, hitting lightly (as a beginner should) the bag should not run away from you.

hope this helps you.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• chele519
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Sep 2006

Maybe the bag is actually bigger than 11 x 8. The 9 x 6 that I bought does not measure 9" long so I'm not sure. But the 11 x 8 comes out far enough that the belly of the bag does hit the edge which I know is bad. I don't even know why that bag was included in the package. I'll stick with the smaller bag and let some air out. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Teetu
        • Aug 2006

some 11X8 bags will vary in size from brand to brand, and it could be that yours is just a bit on the longer side. My 11X8 happens to get quite fat when inflated, so I use it on my 24" drum just fine.

Comment

• speedboy
          • Feb 2006

i have to buy a new swivel but i want to try the classic hook swivel (now plastic) http://store.titleboxing.com/plastic-s-swivel.html or the deluxe pro swivel http://store.titleboxing.com/dps-ez.html

what must i take? thanks

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...