X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murph
    • Jan 2009

Old school Everlast B&H on Ebay

Hey everyone, just came across this on ebay $9.99 with no bids yet & 14hrs to go...the bag looks shot, but swivel looks good....

Cheers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Murph; 01-15-2009, 11:31 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spaceape007 View Post
    Hey everyone, just came across this on ebay $9.99 with no bids yet & 14hrs to go...the bag looks shot, but swivel looks good....

Cheers

That is an OLD swivel. The Ball design is tapered at the shank insert, and later models have an oblong ball shap with no taper.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Cheers
      I have been looking at that one. The bag itself doesn't look bad, other than normal aging of the leather, and the tag on the bottom is torn. The swivel is indeed an old school example, dating at least either the early 1940's (pre WWII) or post WWII production.

Comment

• Murph
        • Jan 2009

Definitely a nice piece...If some one from this forum wins it - would it be possible for some pics and short write up on action?

Thanks

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          I have been looking at that one. The bag itself doesn't look bad, other than normal aging of the leather, and the tag on the bottom is torn. The swivel is indeed an old school example, dating at least either the early 1940's (pre WWII) or post WWII production.

Really? WWII? that old? I got one just like it off ebay a few months ago, and was surprised when I got it, cause I haven't seen a tapered ball like that since my old college days. The picture on the web didn't really show the shank end and the ball shape was much like the boxing Gear ball, which is tapered also.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Murph
            • Jan 2009

Hey A.K., would you be able to post up a video of that swivel?..It would be cool to see and hear one of those in action at your level....I wonder if the previous owner ever ran it through gauntlet?
            Last edited by Murph; 01-17-2009, 08:40 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Hey A.K., would you be able to post up a video of that swivel?..It would be cool to see and hear one of those in action at your level....I wonder if the previous owner ever ran it through gauntlet?
              If your term "guantlet" means beat to death, then yes, it looks to have spent many hours on the front line of speed bag punching.

As far as "action" of the swivel, I'm not sure the ball shape makes that much difference. I'm thinking I posted a picture of ball shapes sometime ago in aother thread, but Look at this page Speed Bag Swivels

IN the second picture down, you see the yellow #3, which is the ball, and you will see the bottom and top of that ball are flat.

In the next picture (S-HOOK shapes) you will see the Everlast flat ball on the left two swivels, and on the right is the tapered Boxing Gear Swivel. Notice the swivel ball extends outward a bit more at the bottom of the housing.

Go down two more pictues to the Watkins (Boxing Gear) swivel and you will clearly see the ball tapers out of the housing. (yellow #3 points at the ball).

IN all honesty, I can't say that this greatly effects swivel and thus bag action as I feel it. At least not enough that would be clearly visible on a video. When I had the Watkins swivel up for several weeks I hit to a lot of music at the time and the biggest difference I noticed was the sound, which had a different clang to it than the everlast, but that was probably due to metal difference (size, shape, material) than anything else.

What I would like to do in the future is take a tapered metal ball and put it inside the plastic housing and see how it reacts. ( next picture down on that page).
              The first immediate problem I found with the plastic housing is the hole is bigger than the metal housing, which allows more of the ball to protude, making the swivel a bit longer. The only change you can make at that point is to push the eye-hook shank up as far as possible into the center of the ball.

Lately I've had problems with the eye-hook shanks slipping down and coming out of the ball. For some reason, the set screws that hold the shank by screwing into the metal balls don't seem to be holding very well anymore. I may have to resort to TIM's fix and weld the top of the shank into the ball. A great fix for that swivel, but Unfortunately you'll never be able to use the parts once the shank is welded into the ball. When it dies, it's dead.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 01-17-2009, 10:12 AM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                Really? WWII? that old? I got one just like it off ebay a few months ago, and was surprised when I got it, cause I haven't seen a tapered ball like that since my old college days. The picture on the web didn't really show the shank end and the ball shape was much like the boxing Gear ball, which is tapered also.
                The design appears to date back that far, and production of it may have gone on untill the late 1950's or so. The style B&H swivel we know evolved in the 60's.

Comment

• Murph
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  I may have to resort to TIM's fix and weld the top of the shank into the ball. A great fix for that swivel, but Unfortunately you'll never be able to use the parts once the shank is welded into the ball. When it dies, it's dead.

"When it dies, it's dead."

Cut off the S-hook and use a Carabiner so you can still use the ball/i-bolt in a new set up.
                  Last edited by Murph; 01-17-2009, 10:16 AM. Reason: added you

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Someone got a deal on that one!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...