• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ohio Bill
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2009

Upkeep for bags?????

I just read the thread about Everlast taking care of the bags for spin, Just wondering and didn't want to threadjack him about upkeep, and if it would ad does keep the bags lasting longer and such.

Do any of you use any type of leather conditioners on the bags????
    Why have I read that some of you deflate the bags you are not using???

Then a question about something else: Any of you ever try to hit the speedbag with any type of weights on your wrists or hands?? I have been thinking that it may help me to increase my speed later if I tried to do this with some type of resistance. Anyone ever try it??

Thanks
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

See here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1333

Some do, some don't. I don't , but the bags I use heavily look like hell for it. I've got an 8x5 I've been using for about 3 years, and it's pretty worn, but still works well.

If not using a bag for an extended amount of time, you may want to deflate it slightly, I know Alan recommends that, but I don't recall why exactly. He can chime in here...

I have not tried hand weights or anything similar for added resistance. To be honest I don't really even like gloves or wraps because of the bulk...

On an unrelated note, this is post #1002 for me ... woot!

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post

Some do, some don't. I don't , but the bags I use heavily look like hell for it. I've got an 8x5 I've been using for about 3 years, and it's pretty worn, but still works well.

If not using a bag for an extended amount of time, you may want to deflate it slightly, I know Alan recommends that, but I don't recall why exactly. He can chime in here...
      I deflate slightly if I won't be hitting for a while. I just want to take the strain off the bladder. The older I get, the more I want less strain on the bladder.

1552 for me. It was a very good year.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 01-14-2009, 08:14 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Ohio Bill View Post
        Do any of you use any type of leather conditioners on the bags????
        Why have I read that some of you deflate the bags you are not using???

Then a question about something else: Any of you ever try to hit the speedbag with any type of weights on your wrists or hands?? I have been thinking that it may help me to increase my speed later if I tried to do this with some type of resistance. Anyone ever try it??

Thanks
        Leather conditioner.... makes sense especially because the bag leather takes a beating

Wrist weights.... I think it's a great idea.... I know drummers that put on ankle weights when practicing, ( I've never done that), but it definitely makes sense..... try to keep basic punch time going for 3 minutes at a good uptempo with some wrist weights... that would seem to get ya ripped!

I have not tried hand weights or anything similar for added resistance. To be honest I don't really even like gloves or wraps because of the bulk...

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        I deflate slightly if I won't be hitting for a while. I just want to take the strain off the bladder. The older I get, the more I want less strain on the bladder.

Haha!

1552 for me. It was a very good year.
        haha... You guys should start a band.... "The Posters" or "The Post Men"....

Comment

• Ohio Bill
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
          Leather conditioner.... makes sense especially because the bag leather takes a beating

Wrist weights.... I think it's a great idea.... I know drummers that put on ankle weights when practicing, ( I've never done that), but it definitely makes sense..... try to keep basic punch time going for 3 minutes at a good uptempo with some wrist weights... that would seem to get ya ripped!
          I'm just thinking that if I could get used to hitting at a decent rate with some resistance that once it was removed, my hand speed could be better because of the lack of resistance. I'm gonna get some to see if they work, probably take some time to get used to before it makes a difference. I'm shocked that noone has tried this, maybee I'm losing it a bit

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I'm just thinking that if I could get used to hitting at a decent rate with some resistance that once it was removed, my hand speed could be better because of the lack of resistance. I'm gonna get some to see if they work, probably take some time to get used to before it makes a difference. I'm shocked that noone has tried this, maybee I'm losing it a bit
            I am surprised too. Maybe cuz the bag is enough of a workout especially when you're going for speed.....

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Unfortunately, I know several people that did add wrist weights to the arms while speed bagging and all I know that increased was their elbow pain. Fast circle punching with your elbow up will put a lot of stress on the elbow joints. If you use weights on the end of your arms (wrists) I suggest you move slower or risk elbow injury.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kaju Dog
                • Jul 2009

Theraband resistance

Noobie here,

Just jumping right in if you dont mind.

I'm curious to the results of using the wrist weights. (Not something I would do for the same reasons posted previously)... but, you got me thinking.

What about using theraband for some resistance. I have used it for Shadow boxing in the past but have not tried it on the speed bag "Yet".

Im gonna play with the idea a bit and give some feed back after a couple weeks.

Just a thought.

Anyone tried this before? Any thoughts?

thanks in advance, Im happy to have ran accross this forum and hope to learn from reading through the older posts before becomming a chatter box.

Respectfully,
                Dean (aka Kaju Dog)
                WOOF

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Kaju Dog View Post
                  Noobie here,

Just jumping right in if you dont mind.

I'm curious to the results of using the wrist weights. (Not something I would do for the same reasons posted previously)... but, you got me thinking.

What about using theraband for some resistance. I have used it for Shadow boxing in the past but have not tried it on the speed bag "Yet".

Im gonna play with the idea a bit and give some feed back after a couple weeks.

Just a thought.

Anyone tried this before? Any thoughts?

thanks in advance, Im happy to have ran accross this forum and hope to learn from reading through the older posts before becomming a chatter box.

Respectfully,
                  Dean (aka Kaju Dog)
                  WOOF
                  Yep. Been there, Done that. I've used long therabands, running them under my feet and holding the ends in my hands, hold my arms up and do some circling and fist rolling. Also used them around my back, doing some slow punching and elbow striking movements. I did this numerous times as a part of rehab for shoulder surgeries. You can also use a short band, run it under your legs while sitting down, hold the ends in your hands and hold the arms up. It kind of feels like an isometric but it works the shoulders in a slow burn without the jarring of punching.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...