FOR SALE: 2 Everlast metal B/H swivels

Hey Guy's

How we swingin?

Noted these on ebay;

sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

Yeah I saw that and was planning on bidding at the last minute. But then my wife reminded me of the reason why I sold my everlast metal ballhook on ebay a while back: it was a loud and obnoxious swivel - and it was. After I discovered the plastic ballhook, the clanking of the metal became unbearable. I'll stick with the plastic because besides being a quieter swivel it is also a smoother swivel. And it is just as fast.

Comment

• Roc Stone
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2007

Couldn't agree more 'loud and obnoxious', but sometimes I like that.

Although I'd have to say, Alan's adaptation of the plastic B/H using the oldde metal ball in the plastic housing has proven to be the way to go for me.

When punch drumin' I get the crisp sound of the bag when it rebounds. OK, so we know all that. Without craping on too much, you can actually hear a lot more.

I found the original plastic B/H swivel to be a little bit more work, having used the all metal B/H. I tried Skunks concept of using the plastic ball in the metal housing, which works but shreads the ball (as I think we previously discussed). I am now using Alan's adaptation of Skunks concept and am finding it very satisfying. I can't see me changing either.

I put the link to these swivels for anyone that may want to purchase some pieces of Everlast nostalgia.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Here's something I like about the metal Ball Hook, I believe you can easily sub in the Everlast chain link if the mood strikes you... can't do that with the plastic as easy (you'd have to unscrew it which would eventually strip out the holes completely).

That said, the metal is noisy! But there is no hiding a mis-hit, the clank of metal ball hitting metal base inappropriately cannot be hidden!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Personally, I'm nostalgic for the everlast metal ball, but I have to say I like the action and sound of the plastic housing. I would buy these to get the everlast ball with the locking set screw and put it in a plastic housing. Someone has bid the price of these up pretty high, for I bid several times until my bid was over $20.00 and was immediately outbid in seconds, indicating either a very high bid or a high set minimum bid.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

They have increased in popularity in the last few hours. I think they still have about 4 days to go.

I hope someone from the forum gets them.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
              They have increased in popularity in the last few hours. I think they still have about 4 days to go.

I hope someone from the forum gets them.
              I bid $25.00 American and was immediately outbid.

I won't pay over $25.00 for a pair of steel balls.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                I bid $25.00 American and was immediately outbid.

I won't pay over $25.00 for a pair of steel balls.
                Not to mention the postage is $32 !!! I've shipped b/h swivels before, they are quite heavy, but that's outrageous.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Not to mention the postage is $32 !!! I've shipped b/h swivels before, they are quite heavy, but that's outrageous.
                  Oops that was shipping to Australia, maybe not a bad price after all.

Shipping to FL is $11.75 which sounds about right.

Comment

• riqal
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Here's something I like about the metal Ball Hook, I believe you can easily sub in the Everlast chain link if the mood strikes you... can't do that with the plastic as easy (you'd have to unscrew it which would eventually strip out the holes completely).

That said, the metal is noisy! But there is no hiding a mis-hit, the clank of metal ball hitting metal base inappropriately cannot be hidden!
                    Yes, being able to switch between the metal ballhook and the chainlink is a big plus (if you happen to own an everlast chainlink and are inclined to use it, and if you haven't already superglued the threads on the metal ballhook like I did with mine to keep it from coming loose)! I stripped out holes in my platform by frequently switching back and forth between the plastic ballhook and the everlast chainlink. I had to use wider screws to fix that problem. I think, though, that I am done switching them out. My plastic ballhook is more convenient to use considering a have 8 bags, two of which will not fit onto the chainlink.

As for the clanking noise, I was really referring to the clanking that occurs during on-target punching (I became more conscious of this noise once there were other people in my life who had to listen to it while I punched). I am not sure, but I think it may be the metal hook hitting the metal base. Anyway, I don't mean to sound argumentative. I used the metal for 20 years before I sold it, and I think the final word on the metal ballhook is that it is a great swivel.
                    Last edited by riqal; 01-03-2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• Roc Stone
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2007

"the final word on the metal ballhook is that it is a great swivel."

Can't argue with that!

As for not paying > $25.00 US. for a pair of steel balls. I aso have a surplus of steel balls as well, but there was a time, when the money was right.

Get the quarter back! Get the quarter back!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...