X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pegasos
    • Feb 2007

What kind of swivel is this?

I bought it some time ago, maybe it was labeled as "heavy bag swivel", i dont remember. Any idea if i opens and how and where it is meant to be used? The screw nut on the left, is made in a way that is not possible to unscrew.
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

looks similar to this model: http://www.everlast.com/everlast-top...ty-swivel.html

For the swivel in your pic, really looks like it would be a pain in the rear end to change bags

Comment

• riqal
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2006

really, though, after a closer look it seems that your swivel looks like it was once a chainlink. That could explain why there is no "quick change" pin

Comment

• Pegasos
        • Feb 2007

No i don't think the swivel was "once a chain link", since the piece of metal is too big for a chain link. Actually after some searching i found the place where i bought it some years ago, it is by good chance this swivel http://www.prosportuk.com/detail/10/246/364 although i can not be certain, it just looks a bit like the picture.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
          For the swivel in your pic, really looks like it would be a pain in the rear end to change bags
          Agreed. Probably meant for a commercial gym where they don't want the speed bag to go MIA!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            Agreed. Probably meant for a commercial gym where they don't want the speed bag to go MIA!
            You're probably right. Most of the "quick change" pins and cotter keys can be can be tossed and replaced with a nut locking piece like this. But it is a different design than I've seen before. I'm betting it's some kind of modification of something else.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Pegasos
              • Feb 2007

I don't think you understand the situation, it's not if i will be able to change bags, the point is i CAN'T open this swivel and insert a bag there! The nut can not be moved in either direction, it appers to be locked in place, and the screw appears to be modified at the end, so as to protrude a bit from the nut. Unless there are speedbags that open themselves, to be inserted into ready-made unopening swivels..(?)

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

It looks like a lock nut which requires a wrench on the nut and a wrench on the bolt to remove. If that doesn't work, then I would cut it off and replace it.

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  It looks like a lock nut which requires a wrench on the nut and a wrench on the bolt to remove. If that doesn't work, then I would cut it off and replace it.
                  Yes.

If it doesn't come off via wrench, you might be able to use a cutting wheel on a dremel (rotary) tool or something similar to get it off

Comment

• riqal
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Aug 2006

If the swivel is more trouble than it is worth, then what you might want to do is just throw it in the trash (that's what I would do) and buy one of the swivels that Title sells. However, if you decide to keep it, then once you get the swivel open make sure that you put your favorite bag on it before you lock it back on.
                    Last edited by riqal; 01-02-2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
                      If the swivel is more trouble than it is worth, then what you might want to do is just throw it in the trash (that's what I would do) and buy one of the swivels that Title sells. However, if you decide to keep it, then once you get the swivel open make sure that you put your favorite bag on it before you lock it back on.
                      I don't think it has to be trashed. The U-Bolt is in good shape, as it the rest of it. Like Tim says, just cut the bolt, or put it in a vice (if you have one) and try to open it.

Send it to me or Tim. We'll get it cut off.
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2007

Hey!

To me that appears to be just a standard nylon threaded lock nut. The bolt attatching the shackle to the swivel base looks as though it is bent, which would support the 'Heavy Bag' theory. If the bolt is bent this would also make it difficult to remove, but not impossible. I myself would use a couple of correct size ring spanners (not open enders, and deffinetly not a shifting spanner). The rule of thumb when using shackles is to tighten it all the way and then to back it off at least a 1/4 of a turn, under load and with the swing the shackle is naturally going to want to tighten and I'd suggest thats what happened here.
                        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Pegasos
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                          which would support the 'Heavy Bag' theory
                          So how exactly is a 'heavy bag swivel' used? Is it supposedly applied on a wooden platform, supporting the weight of a (swinging) heavy bag?!

Comment

• Chris M
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Mar 2006

It may be the angle of the picture, but I think what may be compounding matters is that the nut is not square on the bolt. It needs cutting off to and replace it with a newer type with the little cotter key or something similar.

Honestly though, for the effort required, (and what you'd end up with after that effort) I'd replace it with the plastic ball hook swivel. Those types of swivels aren't really too well thought of anyway once you get to the point of wanting to be able to hit from all sides of the bag on the fly. Those types of swivels don't change directions as easily as the ball hook swivel.

Comment

• Kyle
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                              It may be the angle of the picture, but I think what may be compounding matters is that the nut is not square on the bolt. It needs cutting off to and replace it with a newer type with the little cotter key or something similar.

Honestly though, for the effort required, (and what you'd end up with after that effort) I'd replace it with the plastic ball hook swivel. Those types of swivels aren't really too well thought of anyway once you get to the point of wanting to be able to hit from all sides of the bag on the fly. Those types of swivels don't change directions as easily as the ball hook swivel.
                              couldnt agree more.
                              ________
                              HEAD SHOP
                              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...