• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dennis lowe
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2008

Thanks!

My new speed bag drum, swivel, and bag are up and in use today! Thanks to you all on this great forum for all of the terrific ideas. I built the drum, or platform from medium density fiberboard, glued two 3/4 inch thick pieces together. Cut up an old steel bed frame for the supports, used two small cables to support the front of the board to the ceiling, painted it black, bought a new Everlast speedbag, and I am on my way!!! Thanks again, and I'll be checking into the speedbag forum often. Dennis Lowe
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

Hey, fantastic! That's what we like to hear.

Did you cut a square or round drum?

What type of swivel are you using?

What size did you cut the drum?
    Last edited by Roc Stone; 01-01-2009, 05:09 PM.
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Dennis - Sounds like you did a nice job. Post up some pics of your setup and share them with us.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. You won't find a better forum dedicated to baggers than this one. These members are a great bunch of folks. If you're anything like the rest of us (and it sounds like you are), you'll be addicted in no time!!!

Comment

• dennis lowe
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2008

new drum and swivel

I cut a circular drum vs. square. I started with a 36" drum that after 3 tries to make it a circle it ended up between a 31" and 32". I used a jig saw, and it really wasn't quite saw enough for that large of a job. I really liked the larger drums I saw on this forum, so went for a bigger one. It was heavier than hell though too! I'm concerned about the Everlast bag I bought. I purchased the 'small' size at Dick's Sporting Goods, and it appears to have like a goose egg forming on the side of it up near the laces. I may have to take it back and exchange it. I can't tell that it is negatively affecting the rebound yet, but it's unsightly in my opinion. I also purchased the Everlast chainlink type of swivel. No complaints yet. It was that or the plastic one, so I went with it.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by dennis lowe View Post
          I cut a circular drum vs. square. I started with a 36" drum that after 3 tries to make it a circle it ended up between a 31" and 32". I used a jig saw, and it really wasn't quite saw enough for that large of a job. I really liked the larger drums I saw on this forum, so went for a bigger one. It was heavier than hell though too! I'm concerned about the Everlast bag I bought. I purchased the 'small' size at Dick's Sporting Goods, and it appears to have like a goose egg forming on the side of it up near the laces. I may have to take it back and exchange it. I can't tell that it is negatively affecting the rebound yet, but it's unsightly in my opinion. I also purchased the Everlast chainlink type of swivel. No complaints yet. It was that or the plastic one, so I went with it.
          I would suggest you take it back. Goose eggs and bulges out of the punching area rarely right themselves. I've seen "out of round" or mishapen bags straighten out with use, but what you are describing is a flaw that will most likely be permanent.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

Yeah, now wht your saying bout your drum being 'heavy as hell'. Mine would weigh over 40kg and in hine-site Ishould not have made it that heavy, it limits me to small or medium bags. Dang, even though I've got mine attached to a brick wall when I've used my 4210 I can feel the wall flexing.
            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...