• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pegasos
    • Feb 2007

A simple speedbag workout

A simple workout that i have been using:

I hit the speedbag with only half a rebound and i hit it counting the times.
    I hit 10 times with the right hand, then 10 times with the left, then 9 times with the right, then 9 times with the left, then 8 times with the right, then 8 with the left....etc.... until i reach 2 times with the right, then 2 with the left, then i hit 1 with the right and 1 with the left, continuously for 20 hits, 10 with the right and 10 with the left, left after right and so on. When i have hit 20 ones, i scale up to 2 times with the right followed by 2 times with the left, then 3 times with the right, then 3 times with the left.....etc, untill i reach again 10 hits with the right followed by 10 hits with the left. And this concludes a sub-set. Then i start again, this time with the left hand and do it all over again. Then with the right hand again, and so on. I do a total of 10 sub-sets, which make up a set. 5 starting with the right hand and 5 starting with the left hand. All of these of course must be done continuously, maybe with a few seconds of quick arm stretching between the sub-sets. It takes about 20 minutes for a set, if done fast, about 30 minutes if done at a slower pace.

It's the little workout i have thought of, i guess it is mostly usefull for speed development, since there is not a full rebound of the speedbag, but it also makes you focus, since there is counting and precision involved, and there is definitely a bit of a cardio result too. If done daily, it's a nice way of doing some exercising nonetheless. Improves hand-eye coordination, better than video games!

Logistically, a sub-set of the exercise is 236 hits in total, 118 with each arm, in 2-3 minutes. In total, a complete set is made up of 2360 hits, 1180 wih each hand.
  • Pegasos
    • Feb 2007

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This is an example of a sub-set.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
      A simple workout that i have been using:

I hit the speedbag with only half a rebound and i hit it counting the times......
      Hitting the bag after "one-half a rebound" isn't exactly correct.

A "REBOUND" is when the bag hits the board. What your creative workout is doing is hitting the bag continously after ONE rebound.

You can hit the bag after any number of rebounds. The only main difference is the easiet direction for your hand to travel to hit the bag again. It is easiest to hit the bag continuously from the same side after an ODD number of rebounds (1,3,5) as you are doing. (hitting continuously after one rebound). That is why the "normal triplet rhythm" is three (odd number) rebounds.

When your very next punch comes from the opposite side of the bag ( say you hit from the front, then want to hit from the back) it is easiest after an "even" number of rebounds (2,4, etc.)

I call these the "Rules of Rhythm" on the speed bag.

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYP7qGuz3Xw

This is an example of a sub-set.
      I can't see much on the video because it is so dark. But is sounds like your are hitting everything after ONE rebound, much like a fist rolling, but slower.

I think it is pretty hard to hit the bag continously after one rebound with the same fist many times. Your exercise will indeed build fist control and speed for it is not easy to do.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Pegasos
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Hitting the bag after "one-half a rebound" isn't exactly correct.

A "REBOUND" is when the bag hits the board. What your creative workout is doing is hitting the bag continously after ONE rebound.

Right, that's what i meant of course, i called a 'rebound' a full motion of the speedbag back and forth after a hit, involving two bounces on the board. It must sounded stupid to someone who is a native english speaker(!).

You can hit the bag after any number of rebounds. The only main difference is the easiet direction for your hand to travel to hit the bag again. It is easiest to hit the bag continuously from the same side after an ODD number of rebounds (1,3,5) as you are doing. (hitting continuously after one rebound). That is why the "normal triplet rhythm" is three (odd number) rebounds.

When your very next punch comes from the opposite side of the bag ( say you hit from the front, then want to hit from the back) it is easiest after an "even" number of rebounds (2,4, etc.)

I call these the "Rules of Rhythm" on the speed bag.

I think i get your point, yes it is evident.

I can't see much on the video because it is so dark. But is sounds like your are hitting everything after ONE rebound, much like a fist rolling, but slower.

I think it is pretty hard to hit the bag continously after one rebound with the same fist many times. Your exercise will indeed build fist control and speed for it is not easy to do.

It can give some results with only one set per day indeed.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...