• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FOBOS
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2008

plastic ball swivel Help!

Hello fellas. After visiting this site a couple of times, I decided to purchase an Everlast plastic ball swivel. Well my question is how do I keep the bag going straight back? It seems to get going in an unbalanced direction and not coming back to the point where I hit it (gets all shakey side to side action) Also is it normal for the I-hook to contact the plastic base while hitting the bag, it's kinda noisy.

Thanks for your replies.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

This is all normal. The ball hook is more challenging than the other swivel types. Over time you will compensate by hitting the bag more accurately. Concentrate on striking the bag in precisely the same spot every time.

It will make some noise too, just the nature of the design.

Use a ball hook, and ultimately you will be a better bagger for it...

Comment

• FOBOS
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2008

Thanks for the response Tim. I have only been using a speed bag for about a week so it looks like lots of practice for me in order to get it right!

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        This is all normal. The ball hook is more challenging than the other swivel types. Over time you will compensate by hitting the bag more accurately. Concentrate on striking the bag in precisely the same spot every time.

It will make some noise too, just the nature of the design.

Use a ball hook, and ultimately you will be a better bagger for it...
        I think what Tim said is absolutly true. I initially liked the smooth action of the plastic ball hook, but then it seemed like I lost 30 years of control. I'd hit for a while and continually break down if I didn't really concentrate on hitting the sweet spot ON the bag, at the correct point in the rebound. This lasted for a few workouts. As a beginner you will need to concentrate on those basics, and use little power. But those with experience rarely have to concentrate on that. For a while I even started getting the dreaded Helicopter effect ( bag rolling around the swivel up by the board. Basically, you're screwed and have to stop and start over..) It was frustrating to say the least. It got better when I used a heavier bag but I swear that swivel had a gremlin in it. Final fix was going back to a metal ball. Suddenly it all worked again.

As to your second question, about the eye-shank hitting the housing. I have a good many ballhooks laying around, many of the used for extended periods, and many of them have the shank pushed up far enough into the ball to make the eye area contact the housing. That is actually adustable, for you can normally let a little shank out of the ball. ON a plastic model, you unscrew it a bit.

But if you don't superglue your metal shank into the plastic ball, (rendering it locked for all purposes) it will come unscrewed in a few workouts. I suggest you unscrew it all the way, fill the hole and coat the threads with locktite superglue, and screw it back in as far as you like. Let it dry for a day and you should be good to go.

Personally, I have done this to about 10 of them, and I prefer to screw the shank in as far as I can possibly make it go.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 12-24-2008, 08:38 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• FOBOS
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2008

Thanks for the reply Speedbag. I will continue to work on my technique and perhaps try some different speed bag hooks until I find the one that works best for me.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...