• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Bladder replacement confusion...

Hi.
    Before I get into all the details, I wanted to see what anyone here has dealt with as far as replacing bladders. It seems like Everlast has changed the shape of their bladders. I have bought 2 different types in a Big 5 Sport Store and also, the pictures in their catalog are different than what they sent me. They also have plastic vs. rubber? (I think... without double checking)
    I replaced the bladder in my Everlast Durahide bag. I think it was a black rubber type. I replaced it with an orange colored bladder. I really liked the feel of it before. You had to work it a bit. Now with the new bladder, it is lighter and airy....I feel like I am punching through it with minimal effort.
    I can live with it, I have other bags. But the more I get into bagging, the more I get used to a bag and its feel.
    I don't want to have this happen to any other bags, especially the more I get into it....
    Thanks for any info on your experiences!
    Last edited by spinsmashpop; 12-22-2008, 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
  • dax_q
    • Jan 2008

I need to change the bladder on my Title 6x9. Never done this before. Any advice or directions out there?
    Thanks,
    Dax

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

There has been a fair amount of discussion on these boards about bladders, their characteristics and how to change them out. A quick search ought to bring them up.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        There has been a fair amount of discussion on these boards about bladders, their characteristics and how to change them out. A quick search ought to bring them up.
        Thanks for the reminder Dutchman. I'll check that out first and ask any detailed questions I can't find answers to later.
        But I do know that as of about a month ago BIG 5 was carrying the same Everlast bladders in 2 separate types of packaging that can confuse the consumer. Plus, they sent me bladders that they just started making; different from the ones I bought in Big 5 or pictured in their catalog. I assume a bladder has an affect on the feel of most bags...but I'm a new guy so I don't really know..

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Oh it definitely does. Whether it is a vulcanized rubber bladder, a latex or a plastic one , they each have their own charecteristics.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
            Hi.
            Before I get into all the details, I wanted to see what anyone here has dealt with as far as replacing bladders. It seems like Everlast has changed the shape of their bladders. I have bought 2 different types in a Big 5 Sport Store and also, the pictures in their catalog are different than what they sent me. They also have plastic vs. rubber? (I think... without double checking)
            I replaced the bladder in my Everlast Durahide bag. I think it was a black rubber type. I replaced it with an orange colored bladder. I really liked the feel of it before. You had to work it a bit. Now with the new bladder, it is lighter and airy....I feel like I am punching through it with minimal effort.
            I can live with it, I have other bags. But the more I get into bagging, the more I get used to a bag and its feel.
            I don't want to have this happen to any other bags, especially the more I get into it....
            Thanks for any info on your experiences!
            Exactly. Every bag has it's own feel, which is why I kind of detest changing bladders. Every time I have ever done it, the bag never seems to be the same. Kind of like drum heads and how the different material types effect the sound and feel of the stick. ( like I need to tell you that...)

I tried changing my yellow title 8x5 a few weeks ago and it feels dead.

That is why I normally buy bags in either pairs or threes.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              Exactly. Every bag has it's own feel, which is why I kind of detest changing bladders. Every time I have ever done it, the bag never seems to be the same. Kind of like drum heads and how the different material types effect the sound and feel of the stick. ( like I need to tell you that...)

I tried changing my yellow title 8x5 a few weeks ago and it feels dead.

That is why I normally buy bags in either pairs or threes.
              Thanks a lot Speedbag! That helps. Seems like all these bags from different companies have different bladders. I did manage to salvage one of them with some stuff from a bike tire repair kit, but another two were blown out beyond repair. I wish there was a better thought out way of replacing bladders. It's strange because the companies go to the trouble to make so many different kinds of speed bags and describe what makes them special. But... if you blow a bladder, you order whatever they have at the moment, which may or may not be what is put inside the bag originally. And as we know, the feel of the bag may or may not be the same anymore, and different than the description of the bag ....

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

I think that part of the problem is that the shop that makes the bags, get their bladders from someplace other than the one that supplies the replacement bladders. Up until about ten years ago that wasn't the case.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  I think that part of the problem is that the shop that makes the bags, get their bladders from someplace other than the one that supplies the replacement bladders. Up until about ten years ago that wasn't the case.
                  Interesting. I guess, like anything, if you want something done, you have to do the research. Seems like from a new guy like myself all the way to a legend like Speedbag, we all have a similar story.
                  There should be a more universal, basic system for bags and bladders; a simple name on the bladder informing of the type of material and the strength/weight of it would help. And the same with bags. I've measured mine many times and what they say the size is can be inconsistent, and different from brand to brand. But why ... inches are inches.... use a "1/2 inch" or a ".5" in the size. Anyhow, I'd rather spend my time workin' on a reverse fist roll then trying to figure out what the companies really mean.
                  It would be great if we all could agree on what the true 9x6, 8x5, etc... is ...and do these sizes include the hanging strap? Then post a chart we can all refer to when we are interested in purchasing new bags.....
                  Some companies say, large, medium, small, x-small, and Lonsdale has the peanut... great... but large is vague.... if I had the time and the wherewithall the obtain all the bags, I'd start the chart....
                  Anyhow, thanks for the info!

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

I've been collecting "old school" bags for a few years, and one of the most frustrating things is the lack of consistency when it comes to replacing bladders. That and it's getting difficult finding them for the "large" bags, ones that are 15, 16 or more inches long with bellys that are 10 to 12 inches or more in diameter.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks a lot Speedbag! That helps. Seems like all these bags from different companies have different bladders. I did manage to salvage one of them with some stuff from a bike tire repair kit, but another two were blown out beyond repair.....
                      In my broke college days, I patched bags all the time. As long as it wasn't the air valve, we'd patch it. The old plastic style bladders came in two pieces with a seam. If the leak was on the seam, it was almost impossible to fix, but we tried. Anything to avoid taking the bladder out.

We also sewed up many a split "welted" seam. The old tufwear and everlasts had a leather strip between the panels. when the seams split and a bubble appeared, we stuff the bladder back in and tried to sew the bag. I took several to an "old school" shoe repair shop where they could sew leather and they'd stitch the bags for us. Re attach the bag loops, etc.

Ernie Oriente in Florida does something interesting. He changes the bladders of his bags with the next bigger size, So an 8x5 & 9x6 bag would have a bladder for the 10x7. That way, when he inflates them - the outer bag leather expands fully long before the bladder is completely full. He teaches in a high volume YMCA where 40-80 people pound the bags every day, and he says the correct size bladders would Blow much quicker from the pounding than the next larger size. As long as the leather is fully expanded, I guess the bladder doesn't have to be full. He says it hasn't been a problem for the bags (Ringside) still have a clear, crisp rebound.

I really believe that varying the bag shapes from "bananna" to "teardrop" to almost round (foreign models) there is no way to standardize the sizes. An 8x5 bananna bag is not the same size as shorter, fatter 8x5 tear drop. The secret is learning to adapt to the bag you're on and make it work.

I'm thinking of a song:

If you can't have - the bag you love, Love the bag your with

Hey BT, figure out a bridge for that.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

That actually makes a lot of sense. By using the next size up bladder the rubber remains thicker, less stressed. Like you said as long as the bag is filled out and firm, that's all that matters.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I'm thinking of a song:

If you can't have - the bag you love, Love the bag your with

Hey BT, figure out a bridge for that.
                          AK, thanks again for more info!
                          As far as a bridge for your lyrically mutated song....I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I did think of this one...

"I'm all out of bags, I'm so lost without them..." haha

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

AK, thanks again for more info!
                            As far as a bridge for your lyrically mutated song....I can't think of one off the top of my head, but I did think of this one...

"I'm all out of bags, I'm so lost without them..." haha
                            I get the groove...

Is that a riff from an old Foreigner song?

nope: Air supply
                            Last edited by Speedbag; 12-30-2008, 09:44 PM.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

I get the groove...

Is that a riff from an old Foreigner song?

nope: Air supply
                              Yup, Air Supply..... It would be funny to have the lead singer singing those lyrics to a speed bag hanging next to him!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...