X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whippet
    • Nov 2008

Air Pressure

The pump that I have for inflating my bags is a mountain bike pump for rear shocks - and the gauge is graduated for high-pressure readings.
    Is there a rule of thumb that I can use to determine about 4lbs for speed bags, i.e. by feel?
    What does everyone else use to set up their bags? Thanks

Dennis
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
    The pump that I have for inflating my bags is a mountain bike pump for rear shocks - and the gauge is graduated for high-pressure readings.
    Is there a rule of thumb that I can use to determine about 4lbs for speed bags, i.e. by feel?
    What does everyone else use to set up their bags? Thanks

Dennis
    Put in enough air to get all the creases and folds out of the leather. With the leather fully expanded, you should be able to press your thumbs in on the bag and feel some give. If it bounces a bit "mushy" put in a few (one or two) more pumps. I find I need 3 or 4 pumps after the outer leather is fully expanded.

here is a "tip" on the also under "bag tips".

hope this helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

If it hurts your hand when you punch it, it's too much air. Back it off from there. Eventually you'll get a natural feel for how much firmness you need.

Comment

• sean
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Nov 2008

How frequently should the bag be losing air and need to be refilled? Mine loses air about every week. I've had to fill it twice since I set up Thanksgiving day. Sound right? Thanks. Sean

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

That depends upon what the bladder is made of. Latex rubber bladders tend to be the most responsive, but also naturally bleed air at a higher rate than vulcanized rubber bladders, which bleed faster than the plastic ones. Having to pump up bag once a week or so is about average I've found.

Comment

• sean
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2008

Thanks for the info. Sounds as if I'm like everyone else, filling up about once a week.

I have the everlast shown here: http://store.titleboxing.com/everlas...-platform.html

That is my exact setup, drum, swivel and bag. Thanks, again. Sean

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...