• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KW450
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2008

Bag/Swivel Combo?...

Hey guys, I am new to the sport but the setup I have now just isn't cutting it. I want to get a new adjustable platform but for now I would rather save money and just get a new bag and swivel. Can you give me some advice on the following products:

Swivels:
    Everlast Deluxe Pro Swivel - $39.99
    TITLE Deluxe Pro Swivel - $29.99

Bags:
    TITLE Speed Bag - Medium (7" x 10") or Large (8" x 11")?
    Everlast 4202 (11" x 8")

Also, if you have any other recommendations for a swivel/bag combo, please let me know. I am sort of a beginner but I'm very athletic and picking it up very fast. Thanks in advance.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by KW450 View Post
    Hey guys, I am new to the sport but the setup I have now just isn't cutting it. I want to get a new adjustable platform but for now I would rather save money and just get a new bag and swivel. Can you give me some advice on the following products:

Swivels:
    Everlast Deluxe Pro Swivel - $39.99
    TITLE Deluxe Pro Swivel - $29.99

Bags:
    TITLE Speed Bag - Medium (7" x 10") or Large (8" x 11")?
    Everlast 4202 (11" x 8")

Also, if you have any other recommendations for a swivel/bag combo, please let me know. I am sort of a beginner but I'm very athletic and picking it up very fast. Thanks in advance.

Both swivels are OK but the Everlast model seems to have a lot of "play" or an extra wide U-bolt. I have never hit this personally, so I can't really speak to it's action. Generally, I prefer tighter tolerances in the construction, so I would probably say the Everlast Top Professional looks to be a better choice but a bit more expensive. I like the thinner U-Bar and I have seen this swivel used on several occassions.

Title pro delux looks to have a tighter tolerance and less play than the Everlast pro delux. I have hit this swivel and it is OK.

Personally I find these U-Bar swivels a bit problematic for my purposes and I don't use them. I prefer the older fashion Ballhooks

As far as bags, Both your recommendations are fine, but I haven't seen a "living" Everlast 4202 since mine died several years ago. I remember it as a very reliable bag.

I have and use your Title 10x7 (Blue bag) recommendation and it is a great bag. All of their bags are, with a good shape and reliable rebound.

As an alternative, you might consider the red 9x6 and blow it up a bit "flat" to kill the speed until you can control it, ( or just hit with reduced force).

To blow a bag up "flat": Pump it up until the outer leather is completely smooth with no creases. When the creases expand and the leather is smooth, stop pumping. You will feel it give under your hands, and when your fist contacts it, you will feel it sink into the bag a bit. The rebound will sound flat, like a basketball low on air, and the speed will be reduced. At this point, the bag will hold a lot more air, and two or three pumps will take it up to normal. I expect after a few work outs you will be able to handle a correctly inflated 9x6.

But if you want the more power driven workout of the larger bag, stay with the 10x6 or 11x8.

Hope this helps and good luck with your choices.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dax_q
      • Jan 2008

Good advice as always Alan. If you care to listen to my advice, I learned how to hit the bag with the Title Deluxe Swivel. It hits pretty fast and it hits really straight. I thought it was good to learn off of. Now I hit the plastic ball hook and don't plan on changing other than going metal. Somehow, the ball hook swivels seem so much better.
      -Dax

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
        Good advice as always Alan. If you care to listen to my advice, I learned how to hit the bag with the Title Deluxe Swivel. It hits pretty fast and it hits really straight. I thought it was good to learn off of. Now I hit the plastic ball hook and don't plan on changing other than going metal. Somehow, the ball hook swivels seem so much better.
        -Dax
        I couldn't agree more.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...