X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeffH
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2022

My name is Jeff and I’ve been speed bagging for a few months. There is a lot of good advice on this forum, thank you! I just purchased my first platform which has a 30inch drum. Is that a good all around board size? Thank you
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JeffH View Post
    My name is Jeff and I’ve been speed bagging for a few months. There is a lot of good advice on this forum, thank you! I just purchased my first platform which has a 30inch drum. Is that a good all around board size? Thank you
    Hey Jeff. Welcome to the Forum. a 30 inch drum should be great. The 36 inch boards require the much larger "commercial grade" wall hangers, which are usually to large and heavy for a standard home/bedroom wall set up, and they have to stick way out from the wall to allow clearance for the 36in size. Most home units are 24", which is usually fine as long as you stick with a 10x7 or smaller bag. Once you go to 11x8 or larger bags you will find the end of the bag swings past the board edge, which is not ideal. You want the "belly of the bag" or fattest part, to hit and compress fully on the board.

The other key issue of a board (wall set up) is the weight and sturdiness of it. Even a 30 inch board will suck if the wall unit rattles or shakes. Vibration is a speed bag workout killer. 30inch board are heavier, thus more sturdy than 24 inch boards, but it also depends on the overall sturdiness of the entire set up. The guiding rule of speed bag thumb is to reduce as much unwanted vibration as possible of all the parts. I hope you set up is solid! we'd love to see pictures of it and perhaps a video when you can.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2018

Welcome JeffH a lot of go people with great advice and you just got it from two of the very best. The only thing I can add is take your time, control is far more important than speed (speed will only come with great control) and the most important thing of all ENJOY THE JOURNEY.

Comment

• JeffH
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • May 2022

Thank you guys for the comments. I haven’t received the platform yet. I always try to buy American made when I can so I bought the 30inch platform from Balazs. I’ve always bagged on a 24inch but they recommended the 30inch. I figured I would go big the first time around. I’ve been reading Mr. Kahn’s book too. Thank you again!

Comment

• dad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2018

If you are already reading "The Speed Bag Bible" then you are clearly on the right road and for all of the "Guests" reading this post with a clear interest in speed bagging may I say it took me by the hand on something that looked so difficult and explained it in such simple terms.

Comment

• kakamartin
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2022

Hi. I want to wash my handmade leather tote bag. Can anyone guide me?
            Last edited by kakamartin; 06-03-2022, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• dad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2018

Find a TACK (Horse supply's) shop.

Comment

• JeffH
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • May 2022

Got the platform on the wall, it’s great and I love it.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...