• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron7000
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2022

recreational newbie first speed bag size

going to be getting the TITLE Forged Steel Adjustable Pro Speed Bag Platform, and I think the Deluxe pro Swivel.
    for my semi-finished basement.

Will be for moderate recreation & fun, I have no aspirations of real boxing training.
    Just always admired the speed bag and want to do it and get good at it.
    40+ years old, 5' 10", 190 lbs hoping to get down to 170 lbs.

Thinking of getting the TITLE Gyro Balanced Leather Speed Bag as my first bag.
    Sizes: XXS (4" x 7"), S (5" x 8"), M (6" x 9"), L (7" x 10")

I expect I'll be getting a few different bags over time, but for a first bag and then keeping in mind buying a second bag should the second bag size be or not be the immediate next size smaller?
    Such that I wouldn't see much difference and should jump two sizes smaller... a 7x10 as first bag and then a 5x8 as second bag or a 8x11 as first bag then a 6x9 as second bag?
    Or does everyone eventually just end up getting every bag size?
    Looking for any advice or recommendations, thanks.

• dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

First WELCOME to the group, a lot of good people with a lot of wonderful advice. So for what it's worth, I have never used the Title Platform but I have built several and it looks very structural sound, Title Gyro bag I have use add have two, I think it is a good bag to start with. For me in the beginning I would start with the 7x10 or 6x9, the larger size will help learn how to control the bag witch I believe is the most important thing. Swivel (again in my opinion) will come down to what type of speed bagging are you interested in, Boxing or Bible (free) style bagging. If you want to do Bible style "ball swivel".
    "Just always admired the speed bag and want to do it and get good at it." If you really want to get really good at it this there is a MAGIC WAND, PRACTICE, PRACTIC and also PRACTICE. One more thing that maybe the most important thing of all "ENJOY THE JOURNEY".

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by ron7000 View Post

I expect I'll be getting a few different bags over time, but for a first bag and then keeping in mind buying a second bag should the second bag size be or not be the immediate next size smaller?
      Such that I wouldn't see much difference and should jump two sizes smaller... a 7x10 as first bag and then a 5x8 as second bag or a 8x11 as first bag then a 6x9 as second bag?
      If you really get into it- you'll end up with all the bag sizes.

However, to get started the 7 x 10 and 6 x 9 are a great place to get started. I love those Title Gyro balanced bags.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ron7000 View Post
        going to be getting the TITLE Forged Steel Adjustable Pro Speed Bag Platform, and I think the Deluxe pro Swivel.
        for my semi-finished basement.

Will be for moderate recreation & fun, I have no aspirations of real boxing training.
        Just always admired the speed bag and want to do it and get good at it.
        40+ years old, 5' 10", 190 lbs hoping to get down to 170 lbs.

Or does everyone eventually just end up getting every bag size?
        Looking for any advice or recommendations, thanks.
        Welcome ron7000. to the forum. You ask some great questions as a "newbie". All of us had those same questions. You are on the tip of a HUGE iceberg about speed bag equipment, as well a training methods, techniques combinations, etc. It's never ends because there is always new equipment coming out as well as very innovative bagger pushing the possible skill limits.

But the longest journey starts with the first step. Get a decent speed bag wall unit, swivel and bag and start punching. Start simple and learn the basic triple pattern. Your initial equipment choices are fine. They will work. Tim is correct, the Gyro Balance bag is a good solid bag, whatever size. I recommend starting with a 9x6 or 10x7, and probably move to a smaller 8x5 once your pretty good at keeping the basic triplet pattern from the front. The first issue you may have at this level is that board is light and may tend to "vibrate" from the power of the bag rebound. This vibration will slow down the bag speed. Some baggers complain their bag is "dead" when the real culprit is a loose board. If you notice it rattles or vibrates, try adding some weight overhead. We find a 20-30 pound sand bag is helpful. Many put the sand bags inside a canvas duffle bag to protect the sand bag from breaking. The sand weight needs to be spread evenly over the board areas, so as to not "warp" the board of push one area down. Get your board solid, and start punching. As your skill and enjoyment grows with your skill, you can than begin your journey into expanding your equipment. You will have three areas of concern. (1) Board set up (2) swivels (3) Bags. Each area has it's own variables. There are various wall set ups with different board material and thickness. Key area (for me) is how much board weight can your wall support. In your case that might not be an issue and this board will work fine (but will probably need the sand bags)

(2) swivels: There are basically three types of swivels. Ball hooks, Chainlinks and U-Bolt. ( https://speedbagcentral.com/speed-bag-swivels/ ) The swivel shown on your purchase is a chain link style, which for now is fine. Each of these swivel styles has it fans and naysayers. Basically, if it works for you, it's fine. All swivel models do well for basic "boxing style" punching from the front, or front to back. The biggest issue for chain links is changing bags, which is a pain.

If you spend a lot of time punching and begin to feel some control issues or weird bag actions, it could be that swivel. When people start adding in punching from different sides, all around the bag, they often notices slight alterations in the rebound angles, and that could be the swivel, but that is more of a problem for those with a bit more advanced skill and control from all sides. Most of the more advanced combinations do better with a Ball hook style swivel, for nothing in the construction make up of the swivel can alter the rebound angle. This issue is probably 3-6 months away from most beginners. Ball hook are not readily massed produced anymore and have become more of a custom creation. Right now the most recommended (and available) ball hook is the Thrasher House ball hook https://www.thethrasherhouse.com/evo-14-series For the record, the creator of this swivel is an active forum member. https://speedbagforum.com/forums/mem...-jeff-thrasher

(3) Bags. Of all the equipment, Speed bags by far have the most variety. Boards, not some much, Swivels very few, "Speed Bags" is a bottomless pit of types and opinions. Many brands, many sizes and variations of those sizes, and wide range of prices. Basically bag discussions come down to personal opinions. One guy says "this bag is great" and another says "it sucks" Then they may talk about the bladder type inside. Of course the bladder does effect the bag action - and these discussions can get pretty deep into bag materials, manufactures and also the date of creation. (a 9x6 title or 9x6 everlast of 2021 is not the same as those bags in 2014 or 2016). Manufactures are always looking to cut costs to increase profits. I have never seen a cost reduction or less expensive production method actually increase the quality of the product.

..End result is, if you see a bag that looks interesting or hear baggers (in here or else where) say positive things about, give it a try. Basically larger bags are slower and used for strength and stamina, Smaller bags are fast, used for speed and repetitive accuracy. Larger bags are more forgiving on a missed punch. Smaller bags, not so much.

Quality speed bag products, IMO.

BalazsBoxing

Titleboxing

fighting sports

Anyway, Welcome and I hope this helps. WE look forward to posting a video or two down the road. It will be the best way for us to help you.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...