• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CarmeloLabadie
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2021

Speed Bag

I've recently started really stepping up my speed bag training, doing more at the gym and I installed one in my workout area at home. I've gotten quite a bit better at it and it is a nice change of pace, and a very light workout when I don't feel like killing myself but want to do something. You can mix in quite a few various combinations to keep it from getting boring.

But I'm having doubts about effectiveness. Am I really learning anything other than how to get better at hitting this bag back and forth? They say it teaches you stuff like timing and hand/eye coordination...but I get the feeling I'm just building some muscle memory about how to better make this speed bag fly smoothly, just this specific set of motions, and I'm having trouble seeing a heck of a lot of practical application for the time I'm putting in.

Anyone done much speed bag have any thoughts? It seems like it's been a huge training tool for decades, so there is probably something to it, but I'm just not feeling it.
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

First welcome Carmelolabadie. What your feeling seems to be quite normal, questioning "is this really worth it" and "I" can't really address that because I'm not you. First ask yourself what are "YOU" looking to get out of this experience? I enjoy the challenge of moving the bag in so many ways almost in an instant and having the ability chose to say there enjoying the rhyme or push myself to a higher place. In the end it fills a little void with enjoyment in my life. Speed bagging isn't for everyone. FIND YOUR ENJOYMENT. Welcome again

Comment

• pinzpirate
      • Feb 2020

I'm with Dad what you started saying was "You liked doing it when....." That's the deal That's it's practical application When see you video of the guys that are really good and you aspire to try to do what they can do because you enjoy hitting the speed bag You practice because it's fun not because you are hell bent to be the best or something

Comment

• SpeedBagginJohnny
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Apr 2018

Originally posted by CarmeloLabadie View Post
        I've recently started really stepping up my speed bag training, doing more at the gym and I installed one in my workout area at home. I've gotten quite a bit better at it and it is a nice change of pace, and a very light workout when I don't feel like killing myself but want to do something. You can mix in quite a few various combinations to keep it from getting boring.

But I'm having doubts about effectiveness. Am I really learning anything other than how to get better at hitting this bag back and forth? They say it teaches you stuff like timing and hand/eye coordination...but I get the feeling I'm just building some muscle memory about how to better make this speed bag fly smoothly, just this specific set of motions, and I'm having trouble seeing a heck of a lot of practical application for the time I'm putting in.

Anyone done much speed bag have any thoughts? It seems like it's been a huge training tool for decades, so there is probably something to it, but I'm just not feeling it.

Find a new hobby then, because its clearly not for you. Nobody here can force you to enjoy it.

And for the record, YES speed bagging does improve hand eye coordination, timing, focus, muscle endurance in the arms, and creates new pathways in the brain.

Comment

• Antwan
          • Mar 2021

I started bagging because of boxing.
          By now i'm addicted to it and hit it every day, but when it comes to lets say boxing...
          In my opinion it helps teach you keeping your hands up while the shoulders are burning, it's a pretty good cool down exercise after a workout, any workout.
          But what i think it's best for when it comes to fighting, you get used to something flying very close to your face and you stop blinking because of it.
          So when someone punches at you in the ring you won't blink as fast or at all because of this, at least that's what i think.

It's all just personal too, there are hall of fame boxers who never used a speedbag at all.
          It's like stretching after a workout, some swear by it and some don't want to know about it!!

If you feel it doesn't help you or you don't get any satisfaction by it just look for something else.
          It's in you or not, i got drawn to the speedbag the very first time i was in a boxing gym and i've been hitting it every day since then.

the best of luck.....

Comment

• pinzpirate
            • Feb 2020

Originally posted by Antwan View Post

I started bagging because of boxing.
            By now i'm addicted to it and hit it every day, but when it comes to lets say boxing...
            In my opinion it helps teach you keeping your hands up while the shoulders are burning, it's a pretty good cool down exercise after a workout, any workout.
            But what i think it's best for when it comes to fighting, you get used to something flying very close to your face and you stop blinking because of it.
            So when someone punches at you in the ring you won't blink as fast or at all because of this, at least that's what i think.

It's all just personal too, there are hall of fame boxers who never used a speedbag at all.
            It's like stretching after a workout, some swear by it and some don't want to know about it!!

If you feel it doesn't help you or you don't get any satisfaction by it just look for something else.
            It's in you or not, i got drawn to the speedbag the very first time i was in a boxing gym and i've been hitting it every day since then.

the best of luck.....
            Great insight from some one who has spent more time boxer training than most us At the end of the day you either really like hitting the bag or not Trying different swivels and bags is the next step towards the addiction If nothing else Speedbagging is a reasonably constructive hobby if as you said you are drawn to it

Comment

• Mickey Dix
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jul 2019

Welcome big timer

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey CarmeloLabadie. Well come to the forum.

You have received some awesome answers already. All honest and thought provoking. I certainly agree with "DAD" stating ...ask yourself, what are you looking for out of hitting the speed bag. I'm pretty sure the answer to that question, and also what each of us "baggers" finds from the speed bag, probably better said "why we keep doing it" is also different for each of us. Certainly if it's only "PHYSICAL" results you want, (strength, fitness, arm or shoulder definition, even hand speed and timing) There are probably better activities, meaning you will get better results for time spent, with other fitness movements. Certainly the shoulders do get a really good burn and I have found extended speed bag work really help define my shoulders back in the day, but I think that is more related to how the arms are positioned. I personally believe if the elbows are maintained "at home" in an UP and close to parallel position (my personal favorite), then it really works the shoulders more to hold the arms up and out. If a bagger's home position is with the elbows, lower and close to their sides, this will not engage the shoulders as much, IMO.

And your are right, we are simply repeating about eight basic movements, including (Front Straight Punch, Front Circle Punch, Side Single Punch, Reverse Single Punch, Hook Punch, Outward, Inward, and Downward elbow strikes) repetitively, over and over. Perhaps that is Boring to some. All the various techniques (24 in Speed Bag Bible, and certainly a few more that are not..) are made of these movements either alone or combined together. But the movements are repetitively the same, expressed faster or slower depending on bag size and personal power of the punches.

So, ...why do we "enthusiasts" keep doing it, over and over? Having pondered this with many a speed bagger I've met over the years, it is simply the experience of doing it, the joy of doing it, and at the heart of that is sound and rhythm it creates. In the fitness world of "movement", there is no other activity where the SOUND of activity, and the users control of creating it, is as prevalent as the speed bag. Every single serious bagger (addict or severe enthusiast) credits some aspect of "the sound" and "The experience" of doing it as the reason why they do it. And I can honesty say there are times, or phases, where I don't feel it either. I'll go weeks (or months) without punching - and then- it calls me back and I can't stop doing it.

And you'll find that many people love to express the sounds and rhythm patterns of the bag to Music, which we call Punch Drumming. This takes the punching experience and joy of expression of the bag sound to a whole new level, however, it is probably not for everyone. But in the real world many people can't "work out" at all, in any system (weights, running, etc) without some type music going - so if "Freestyle" punching (without music) gets boring, try punching to music and see if that's more fun.

But in the end if the repetitive movements, the sounds and experience of it all - does NOT speak to you, and after serious attempts and time under the board You just don't feel it - than I would encourage you to find something that does. on a daily, or long term commitment basis - Do what you love to do. And will end by saying, I have seen many "very committed" and "very talented" baggers be very active in speed bag training for a few years, and then, sort of disappear. I know they move on to other activities, take on new challenges or other fitness or sports. Myself, for a few years I really became immersed into Golf, believe it or not. two or three nights a week I'd go to the course next to where I worked and practiced for hours. Endless chipping, putting, sand shots, driving, irons.. you name it. Me and my wife Played two rounds on Saturdays and Sundays. I was golf nuts for a while and progressed to the point of shooting par on multiple occasions. And I only needed 9 or 10 holes to do it! I never needed 18 holes. I only quit because I could no longer afford buying some many balls, and now I haven't play golf in 10 years. But I do like watching it occasionally, remembering back to my days looking for my ball.

And the best part is - once you learn to control the speed bag it NEVER goes away. Once your brain has it, it's there. ready to come out again at any time.
                Last edited by Speedbag; 11-14-2021, 12:41 AM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Gattigo
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Mar 2022

Go check my thread in the pictures and videos section. The way I am hitting it is so much more about accuracy and timing. I can hit a speedbag the way everyone else does but I find this way I'm doing it is much more applicable to actual boxing skill. The typical way people use a speedbag only I proves their speed very slightly at best. It does condition your shoulders to get stronger and helps keep your hands up. Try it how I'm doing it.

Comment

• Round
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Nov 2021

I'm partially disabled; I get around with a cane on good days, crutches on bad days. The doc said some cardio would be good for my heart, but most cardio exercises focus on the legs where the big muscles are. I could do some upper-body routines with dumbbells for cardio, or I can beat the snot out of a speed bag, even if I can't dance around while doing it.

Comment

• dad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2018

Round, really good post. IMO, it's a great work out, the various ways the bag can be hit with different combination just never gets boring, again that's just me. But thing about your post that I find more interesting is that you have a "disability". You see you got me thinking (love it when someone pose's a good question), I don't see many videos posted by people who are disabled in some way. FIRST: You can install a speed bag set-up for just about anyone with a disability including someone who is confined to a bed. Second: It is so much more fun "beating the snot out of a speed bag". Third: I would really like to see more videos from our disabled family. When I think about it many of us have a disability to one degree or another it's a matter to what degree, what is the disability and how do we approach it and I can assure some of you (not all) that caution needs to be taken this can become an addiction. ENJOY

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...