• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

What SIZE bag?

Have a question for all you " Bible Style" Baggers especially for all of you who have been bagging for years. I have seen so many really good and some who are nothing short of GREAT Bible Style Baggers and even more who are well on their way to joining that group. Quite often we see the post " What is your favorite bag" and I have to say I really enjoy reading the reply's, I would like to ask the question in a way that (I believe) should be at the foundation of any beginner. "What SIZE bag would you say has contributed the most as a teaching aid to accomplishing bible style techniques?"
  • DizzyD
    • Jun 2020

Oh, that’s a interesting one. In my opinion when it comes learning Bible-style and the different techniques I prefer bags that are a little bigger and have a round belly. I don’t prefer the shape of a Cleto-Reyes for that, even if they have nice bags. New techniques I prefer learning with my Roni-Bag 8/11. The a little bigger size offers more control and it’s harder to fall in that „speed-mode“, elbows are much easier cause the bag is more forgiving if you don’t hit the sweet-spot with best accuracy. When it comes to punch-drumming, I also prefer Roni-bags. Best size to me here is the 5.8/8.5. It’s small enough to stay in tempo with the beat, even if the song is a little faster, but offers enough control to perform all around the bag. That’s what to me is hard with the smaller 5/8 or 4/7-sized bags.

What’s your favorite size?

Comment

• dad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2018

Well, I asked the question because I'm not sure. I only have 4 bags Title Platinum 5x7, Title Gyro 6x8, Everlast 7x10 and a 6x9 Title Black. I started with the Everlast 7x10 it came with a complete kit but I only used it boxing style and beat it to death, then I discovered Mr. Kahn and Bible Style bagging and found a greater challenge. I have had many moments where I have found myself one with the bag (what a great feeling). So after watching all the great video's I wanted to go fast and purchased smaller bags ( great rooky on the block mistake ) small bags don't help you go faster. Then I finally realized if you can't do it slow and accurate you will never reach your speed potential. So in (my) opinion the the most important part of bagging is learning to CONTROL the bag once you have leaned that the speed will come. To your question most of my help has come from my 6x9 but I can't help but think it may be easier on a larger bag.

Comment

• dad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2018

I forgot to comment on something you said that I think is very important "it’s harder to fall in that „speed-mode" we all fall into that place where we want to put the "pedal to the metal", it's important to want to increase our speed but not at the cost of CONTROL.

Comment

• pinzpirate
          • Feb 2020

I'm a Cleto fan I used them the most when I started bible style The Roni bags are great you don't have to hit them hard and they are fast As far as the shape goes I like both the same Most of my bags are 6X9 I have a couple of smaller ones the smaller bags make you be more accurate When you hit small bags you make smaller circles with your punches so the speed is increased by the geometry but the rhythm is similar to hitting a larger bag if that makes sense Jim Bradley bags swing different which makes them a fun change Personally I don't like big bags they are hard to reach around and I prefer lighter bags I don't have to clobber to get them moving My $0.02

Comment

• dad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2018

"pinzpirate" Great input, I switch periodically for the same reason, it just seems to sharpen your skill and for all the reasons you pointed out. Question: from your prospective are the Roni bags as good as what the reviews seem to indicate?

Comment

• Dutchman
              Speed Bag Historian
              • Jun 2006

From my observations, for bible style you don't want to go any bigger than a 7x10, although it can be done, Ms Deville used larger bags, her routines were well done, but on the slow side. I'm not really that good at it, but when I mess around with it I have an old Ringside kangaroo 6x9 that is well suited for it. It's very similar to the Roni bag in shape.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                From my observations, for bible style you don't want to go any bigger than a 7x10, although it can be done, Ms Deville used larger bags, her routines were well done, but on the slow side. I'm not really that good at it, but when I mess around with it I have an old Ringside kangaroo 6x9 that is well suited for it. It's very similar to the Roni bag in shape.
                "Back in the day" (late 1980's to 1996...) I basically used two bags. (1) The 11x8 Everlast 4210 Genuine Striking Bag (Red) and (2) The 9x6 Everlast 4200 (black). These are the two bags that appear All through The Speed Bag Bible Book. All of the Technique pictures (black and white in book) are using the 11x8. And the advanced chapter shows the smaller 9x6.

I have many S-VHS video tapes full of punching the Speed Bag (freestyle) and Punch Drumming on both of those Everlast bags. (20+). I never had any problem doing "Bible Style" on the 11x8, for it has a nice tear drop shape, but was slower than the 9x6 (of course). The 4200 9x6 was "my favorite" at the time for the shape, feel and rebound. At the time I had tried, but did not like, the smaller Everlast 4204- 8x5, because the ones I had seemed too "light" at the at the time, and tended to "float" off the punches. It just didn't feel good or I could not (would not) adapt to it, so I stayed with the larger 4200- 9x6. Most of my fastest video's were on that 9x6 bag long before Seven (7) shoulder surgeries, (3) Three Neurosurgeries and left elbow surgery (ulnar entrapment ). those all started in the 1997.

The Book came out in July 1995 and I did many demonstrations during that summer and fall for a company called "Hitman Boxing", which was the boxing product line of NDL inc. In February 1996, While doing demonstrations at the International "SuperShow" in Atlanta Georgia, John Brown, owner of Ringside Boxing came over and said "I want you and your program...." (that didn't set well with NDL, but oh well- Ringside was King at the time...) And a month later I had boxes of Ringside Speed Bags, the older tear drop shape. Wanting to go a bit faster... I made myself get use to their lighter 8x5, and grew to love it, filming MANY hours with it. At that point I abandoned hitting my Everlast bags. I also stopped punch drumming to songs with the 11x8, and using the Titleboxing 10x7 a few times. I did go a while punching the Title "big blue" 12x9 and a 13x10, but they were not good for my 24 inch board, for they came way past the edge and those were soft, light Presswood boards at the time and those big bags were too much for them. I have a bigger board now, but never got much out of pounding the bigger bags except painful hands.

Anyway, IMO - there is no "proper" or "best" bag size for "Bible Style Bagging" - there is just YOUR favorite bag to use ....and I might add swivel. Every bag has it's own personality, and so does a swivel.

Attached Files
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2018

Great input guy's, interesting to see how everyone seems to settle into their own little grove. Thanks so much.

Comment

• pinzpirate
                    • Feb 2020

To answer your question about Roni bags YES Meticulous craftsmanship, well balanced and fast Cool colors too they are expensive but unless you hate fast bags that some opinions are that they too light Classic shape everyone likes They are worth every penny

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by pinzpirate View Post
                      To answer your question about Roni bags YES Meticulous craftsmanship, well balanced and fast Cool colors too they are expensive but unless you hate fast bags that some opinions are that they too light Classic shape everyone likes They are worth every penny
                      I have to add the Roni bags are made with very soft leather that makes it very soft on the hands.

Comment

• dad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Dec 2018

Hey guy's what size? These sound really good, going to have to save for one of these.

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by dad View Post
                          Hey guy's what size? These sound really good, going to have to save for one of these.
                          He can make whatever size you want https://www.instagram.com/ronispeedbag/

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Dec 2018

I've done it again, I have a bad habit of not making myself clear, sorry about that baggers. When I ask "WHAT SIZE" what I am referring to is the SIZE bag each of YOU have found to be the one that help you obtain the most knowledge about Bible Style Bagging or in other words what was your most favorite bag to learn a new move on.

Comment

• pinzpirate
                              • Feb 2020

I too think that you can't go wrong with a 6X9 Often I hang one of my Cletos up to practice or try something new I'm used to them and they are a little slower than a Bradley or a Roni even after I shorten the loop and put an Enkay bladder in them, which suits me just fine The bags with heavier leather are easier for me to control the speed with both by changing the air pressure and how hard I strike them After you get your licks down and switch to a faster bag you usually find yourself doing your routine faster Don't get me wrong I don't like a bag that feels like nothing is there but I can't help liking one that moves good without having to be hit real hard so you can concentrate on technique When I bought my Roni bag he was selling it as 6.4X9.something Height wise it's the same as a Cleto or a Bradley It is wider or fatter in the "classic" shape I find mine to be very lively and a little harder to control a nice addition to any collection I don't have very many bags I feel fortunate to have bags with varied personalities to mix it up with and keep it fun

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...