X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antwan
    • Mar 2021

New swivel

So i got this new swivel today from everlast i orderd online.
    it's my first metal ball swivel, my platform came with a plastic one but that wasn't any good.
    Did most of my workouts with an u shaped swivel i got in a sport store and i don't even know the brand.
    Today i tested out the everlast swivel and for the moment not to happy with it.
    The bag is al over the place and with some combo's the swivel bal keeps getting pushed upwards in the socket.
    My question is, is this normal?
    I'm not done trying with it, maybe it's normal it reacts in a whole different way and it takes some getting used to.
    One things for sure, it's fast as hell

Any help/advice would be welcome ✌️
    Attached Files
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Yes, it is.The ball & hook swivel takes some time getting used to if you have previously used a "U" bar swivel or a chain link one. Essentially, you have to go back to square one, and start over again, unlearning what you are used to. First thing is to slow down. This type of swivel was at one time the only kind there was. It allows you to hit the bag from all around it, not just front and back. The key here, is as Alan (Speed Bag) Kahn says, it's a "control" bag first. Once you can do that, the speed will come. A lot of our members here have put up tutorials on YouTube, including Alan.

Comment

• Antwan
      • Mar 2021

Thx for the help guys!!!✌️✌️
      it's for bible bagging, the self made platform is a little higher and is of much better use for a boxing workout.
      I'll keep in mind what you said

Comment

• dad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2018

Don't need to say much more these guy have it covered. Take your time and enjoy the journey.

Comment

• DizzyD
          • Jun 2020

Hey Antwan, everything said here. It’s all about practice but takes some time when you convert for the first time to the ball&hook. Hope you enjoy it!
          Where/when did you buy that one from Everlast? Would be interested cause I couldn’t find that swivel. Thx

Comment

• Antwan
            • Mar 2021

Originally posted by DizzyD View Post
            Hey Antwan, everything said here. It’s all about practice but takes some time when you convert for the first time to the ball&hook. Hope you enjoy it!
            Where/when did you buy that one from Everlast? Would be interested cause I couldn’t find that swivel. Thx
            I orderd it from bol.com, 29€ a piece.
            If you checkout the website and type in everlast swivel it's the only bal swivel on there✌️
            I orderd 2 more also just to have them and an evo 13 from the trasherhouse, it will take a while to get here but can't wait

Comment

• DizzyD
              • Jun 2020

Great! ...and thanks for the link. I’m using the evo13 at the moment by myself. Fine and smooth action. You’ll enjoy it!

Comment

• pinzpirate
                • Feb 2020

Ventakaz has tinkered with swivels extensively So my question is if you had an Everlast chainlink swivel is the metal base the same as plastic base the metal ball swivel comes with? If all you had to do is swap the bases you would have a all metal swivel I'm sure Dutchman and a few others probably know this too

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                  ^^^Agreed^^^ There is only one negative thing I have to add with my experience with those everlast swivels and that is the plastic female part of the base, I had those in Chainlink and Ball-hook and after awhile of hitting, The male part of the swivel would go flying off with the bag, it got very annoying for me, You might not have this happen to you, But if it does it's because of the plastic part of the base, The plastic threads don't hold up under heavy hitting, but if you bible bag than this problem won't happen. On another note, if you get an all metal everlast ball-hook swivel, they tend to loosen up, That is an easy fix, Just take a pair of Channel locks and snug the two parts together, then they won't come undone, BTW I'm using an everlast all metal swivel on my platform, As with the ball jumping up and down, That usually happens when your new at hitting the speed bag, Or learning new hits or combos, What I have just recently done like last week was to add two metal washers above and inside the swivel, it was a pain to grind down one of the washers to just fit inside and to get the right thicknesses, But I have hit on the everlast for years without the washers inside, Just be patient and like the Dutchman said slow down so you can learn the Characteristics of the swivel, it will pay off in the end and your hits will be more controlled and accurate.
                  I had the same thing. Nice thing was the plastic base was interchangeable with Ball or Chain. Problem for me was the Plastic Threads didn't hold up and you had to be VERY careful when threading and screwing the metal threaded ends or they could cut the plastic and then the were pretty much shot. I'm assuming Everlast went to the plastic base for reduced price, because it did not change their equipment, in that their metal bases were all interchangeable to ball or chain. I actually really like the old school small links chain from the 70-80's. Fast and quiet. A bit of a pain to change bags but back in the day we didn't change the chainlinks. You put 'em on a bag and it stayed. If you got another bag you bought another chainlink swivel. They were like $9.95 back then.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Antwan View Post
                    ...The bag is al over the place and with some combo's the swivel ball keeps getting pushed upwards in the socket.
                    My question is, is this normal?

Any help/advice would be welcome ✌️
                    Hey Antwan. The "ball" pushing upward into the socket with a big "clunk" or clang is always telling that the force of your punch drove it up, out of the bottom seat. So ask yourself....Why is the punch force driving the swivel ball upwards, and how often is that happening? I noticed you said this happens with "SOME combo's" , but not all. Hmmm. It would be interesting to know (or see) what combo's that is happening with....but I can make a suggestion. And it's not to hard to figure that IF a punch is driving your swivel up and off the seat in the housing then your punch sent it that way... and that can happen for usually TWO very distinct reasons, usually easy to spot on video. First, you are making contact on the bag a smidge too late in the rebound arc, with the bag either straight under the swivel or even later, with the belly angle "toward" you rather than away from you. IF you make contact too late in the rebound arc (for a few different reasons..) then the fist will hit a bit "under" the belly and the punch force will drive the bag upward, clanking the swivel. The second reason also has the fist hitting below the belly, but for a different reason. The hands start the punch too low, usually at the waist... and the punch direction is "Upward".. not straight into the bag .... and the result is another upward force punch, clanking the swivel again. Beginning baggers are often guilty of both problems. they don't hit in continuous motion, pausing the fist(s) and when they restart they hit the bag "late" in the rebound, contact under. The also tend to let their fists drop too low and initiate a punch from under the bag.

The "Sweet spot" of the rebound is "before" the bag is parallel or straight under the swivel. When you hit the bag in the sweet spot of the rebound, you rarely get the upward clank because the punch contact is either straight into the belly or the bag is in the arc so the force drives it "Down" keep the ball seated.

When you say "Some combos" I bet if you analyze a video of you doing the combo you will see a punch either late or coming "up" to the bag, rather than straight into it. Especially on more complex combinations with double punches from all directions. I've seen and heard a lot of "clanking" when a bagger starts learning Side punching and they are "Hunting" for the sweet spot in the rebound. Anyway, That's my experience with clanking or driving the ball up into the board. I could say all of that is a symptom of a "timing" problem, but out of all the many speed baggers I've seen, most clanking comes from those two causes.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your Ball hook. In the end you will be glad you made the switch.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Antwan
                      • Mar 2021

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Hey Antwan. The "ball" pushing upward into the socket with a big "clunk" or clang is always telling that the force of your punch drove it up, out of the bottom seat. So ask yourself....Why is the punch force driving the swivel ball upwards, and how often is that happening? I noticed you said this happens with "SOME combo's" , but not all. Hmmm. It would be interesting to know (or see) what combo's that is happening with....but I can make a suggestion. And it's not to hard to figure that IF a punch is driving your swivel up and off the seat in the housing then your punch sent it that way... and that can happen for usually TWO very distinct reasons, usually easy to spot on video. First, you are making contact on the bag a smidge too late in the rebound arc, with the bag either straight under the swivel or even later, with the belly angle "toward" you rather than away from you. IF you make contact too late in the rebound arc (for a few different reasons..) then the fist will hit a bit "under" the belly and the punch force will drive the bag upward, clanking the swivel. The second reason also has the fist hitting below the belly, but for a different reason. The hands start the punch too low, usually at the waist... and the punch direction is "Upward".. not straight into the bag .... and the result is another upward force punch, clanking the swivel again. Beginning baggers are often guilty of both problems. they don't hit in continuous motion, pausing the fist(s) and when they restart they hit the bag "late" in the rebound, contact under. The also tend to let their fists drop too low and initiate a punch from under the bag.

The "Sweet spot" of the rebound is "before" the bag is parallel or straight under the swivel. When you hit the bag in the sweet spot of the rebound, you rarely get the upward clank because the punch contact is either straight into the belly or the bag is in the arc so the force drives it "Down" keep the ball seated.

When you say "Some combos" I bet if you analyze a video of you doing the combo you will see a punch either late or coming "up" to the bag, rather than straight into it. Especially on more complex combinations with double punches from all directions. I've seen and heard a lot of "clanking" when a bagger starts learning Side punching and they are "Hunting" for the sweet spot in the rebound. Anyway, That's my experience with clanking or driving the ball up into the board. I could say all of that is a symptom of a "timing" problem, but out of all the many speed baggers I've seen, most clanking comes from those two causes.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your Ball hook. In the end you will be glad you made the switch.
                      Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me!!
                      i just got the ball swivel then and had no idea it was so much different to use.
                      I'll definitly take your advice with me when i get home this afternoon and use it!!
                      I'm using the ball swivel about two weeks now and it's going much better, the book has helped me alot also.
                      Thanks

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...