• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ennis davis
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2021

Speed

I cant get the speed on this bag. Is there something wrong with the equipment.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210314_111553.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	890.0 KB
ID:	124846
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by ventanakaz
    The one thing that's robbing you of speed is that combo heavy bag & speed bag stand, You need to install a speed bag platform on your wall, All the shaking and excessive movement, and vibration those stands have robs you of all your energy, also some bags are just slow.
    Agree with "ventanakaz" also makes control harder. Also just an observation the wing nuts should be on the back side of the drum.

Comment

• BagBoy
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2018

My very first bag was the TKO in the picture on virtually the same stand/platform. Not a conducive combination for a joyful speed-bagging experience.
      Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        The one thing that's robbing you of speed is that combo heavy bag & speed bag stand, You need to install a speed bag platform on your wall, All the shaking and excessive movement, and vibration those stands have robs you of all your energy, also some bags are just slow.
        That is if you can mount a platform on the wall. Yes this type of stand by it's design has a lot of vibration when it is used. There are ways of further stabilizing it, it's described elsewhere on these boards.It would be a good idea to install the bolts so that the wing nuts are on top. Believe it or not, the definite possibility of a miss hit could result in you hitting those, and as my high school gym teacher would say "that don't feel purrty".

Comment

• ennis davis
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2021

What would be a decent bag/size?

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Didn't notice those hex heads, definitely do what ventanakaz recommends, or replace them with at least carriage head bolts. Otherwise the hex heads will shred the bag in short order.

Comment

• dad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2018

Good catch ventanakaz I didn't notice that either.

Comment

• Zaz
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Sep 2018

You can put a sandbag on your drum to reduce vibration

Comment

• pinzpirate
                  • Feb 2020

Originally posted by ennis davis View Post
                  I recommend a 6X9 My personal choice is a Cleto Reyes a Title Perlious is a forum favorite if your really on a budget an Everlast is a little light but hits good as long you don't get unlucky and get a defect

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ennis davis View Post
                    Hey ennis,

That set up is challenging for sure. I agree with all suggestions so far... the board changes, bolts etc. However I would bet if you have the most rock solid, sturdiest board in the world you are still going to "struggle" to have enjoy a great workout with that swivel.

Wide open u-bolt swivels like that are shaky, may rattle like crazy and are a kind of a nuisance for "Bible Style Bagging"....or hitting from all around the bag, Most especially with Side Punches. Here is a link some issues with U-bolts. https://speedbagcentral.com/speed-ba...#U-bar-swivels

My suggest is get a decent Ballhook Swivel. there are "a few" to choose from and to get one the fastest I suggest "Thrasher" https://www.thethrasherhouse.com/shop
                    Several of the other ball-hook models are out of production at the moment with no date of return.

As for a decent bag at a reasonable price, all of these (link) are good, https://www.titleboxing.com/punching...per-speed-bags
                    with my personal favorite the 8x5 yellow and 9x6 red. ( I have not used the 4x7..nor would I with that shape)

another bag I highly recommend is https://balazsboxing.com/en/speed-ba..._8_extra_small
                    This 8x5 is very fast, but it does feel "heavier" on the hands than some other brands.

below is a picture of an older model floor stand I use to have and this shows the how I used "luggage straps" to add more stability.

This video link shows it in action. I shot this in may 1996. Even with the luggage straps pulled as tight possible you can see the board shaking like crazy. So luggage straps will only "help"... but not "solve" a stability problem.

To enter the "Danger Zone", try Punch Drumming(TM) the speed bag to this one....

Attached Files
                    Last edited by Speedbag; 03-18-2021, 07:24 PM.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ennis davis
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Mar 2021

I bought s smaller bag but i cant get the speed up. How precise does the swivel have to be. My clevis pin is loose and sloppy.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Jim Walker
                        • Dec 2018

Here is a cheap but decent swivel on ebay, which will speed things up some. The hook will eventually strip out of the plastic ball, but you can super glue it back in.

Comment

• ennis davis
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Mar 2021

The bag will never hit the bolt ever......besides, they are fixed and cant be flipped. Now....i found the issue like you guys mentioned: vibration. I will try sand bags.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...