X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete
    • Nov 2020

So you want a granite platform? DIY

After looking at the length of this post you most likely wont or have already hit the back arrow. I will try to make it entertaining.

Here’s what you will need.

Painters caulk, scraper, tape measurer, clamps, larger scraper, hex head bolts, lag screws, assorted washers, ratchet, masonry drill bits, titanium drill bits, gator bit, core bit, .38 special hollow point, steel corner braces, grinding stone, diamond grinder blade, bondo, polyurethane, level, 357 Fmj, sandpaper, sanding disc, spray paint, broken light bulb, drills, grinder, weather stripping.

Here it goes-

Painters caulk for bonding the granite to the wood. Liquid nails and other adhesives will eventually bleed through granite. Clamps for clamping wood to granite. Hex head bolts/nuts/ washers(or warshers if you like throwing r’s into words for no good reason. This is not Nam, there are rules here)for attaching drum to support. Lag screws for attaching support to studs. Drill holes at 16” on center but check where your studs are first in case a hungover tweeker framed that particular wall. More common than you think. Masonry bits/core bits for getting through granite. Titanium bits for drilling through steel. Gator bit for lag screws. Ratchet so you don’t snap the head off the lag screw. Steel corner braces to brace drum for lateral attack in case your dad decides to crack into the good book(shout out to Alan). Grinding stone for cleaning up your cut granite. Diamond grinder blade for cutting granite. 38 special hollow point to remind you there is a way out. Why would anyone do this on Christmas Eve? Your family is upstairs laughing and eating and you are downstairs calling your cordless grinder unspeakable things that you can’t take back. Too dark? Just jokes. Maybe the grinder will forgive me one day but until then ONWARD. Bondo for patching holes for bolts after mounting. Level for .........leveling. 357 full metal jacket to be certain. You don’t want to be left headbutting a speed bag, on a granite platform mind you, without a jaw and no use of your limbs. Smile. You still have your jaw. Sandpaper. Sanding disc for when a splinter rips through the paper and lodges itself snuggly between your index and middle finger. Fancy spray paint to keep it classy. Weather stripping in the event of a knuckle to drum collision. Whiskey to wash off the trauma you have voluntarily decided to inflict upon yourself. Happy holidays fellow baggers and Happy new year. May you all be swift with your knuckles and eBay notifications in the upcoming year. Cheers

• Pete
    • Nov 2020

Click image for larger version

Name:	B0A0C19F-6AA3-439E-B75B-F4A5A4D05276.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	123769Click image for larger version

Name:	B682C798-7E4D-4589-BE68-C10247235444.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	123768Click image for larger version

Name:	CC092FF1-7832-4D78-A153-EF6FEF8DE191.jpeg
Views:	353
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	123767Click image for larger version

Name:	427C7B80-0391-4462-9925-4A9BC5B25966.jpeg
Views:	342
ID:	123766

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Well, that is one serious Board, for sure. I'm going to go out on a limb here and conjecture that it does not rattle or vibrate.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
        • Sep 2020

I look forward to seeing and hearing this in action!

Comment

• Pete
          • Nov 2020

Budge it did not. I took a couple quick videos before I left with different bags for my fellow fiends out there. The heritage I got him was fun to hit I bet that bag is great when it gets broken in. I'll put the videos up in the part deux thread

Comment

• BagBoy
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	B0A0C19F-6AA3-439E-B75B-F4A5A4D05276.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	123769Click image for larger version

Name:	B682C798-7E4D-4589-BE68-C10247235444.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	123768Click image for larger version

Name:	CC092FF1-7832-4D78-A153-EF6FEF8DE191.jpeg
Views:	353
ID:	123767Click image for larger version

Name:	427C7B80-0391-4462-9925-4A9BC5B25966.jpeg
Views:	342
ID:	123766
            Don't think we don't see the no doubt EMPTY can of Guinness.
            Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Magnoliya
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2021

Hey there. First of all, thanks for sharing these tips. I am a beginner, so certainly, I will be following your guidelines. But I have a question and hope that there is someone that can help me out with it. Besides the arrow, I also need some information about the toggle clamps. Has anyone ordered from this website: https://www.sandfieldengineering.com/toggle-clamps/. I’m new to all of this stuff and hope to find some reviews for it. How much did you pay for all of this? I don't want to overpay for it either. Thanks!
              Last edited by Magnoliya; 06-18-2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...