• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jfernandez
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2020

Balazs I-Box Vibrations

Hey guys,

About 5 or so months ago I installed an I-Box on the concrete wall in my garage. It's been great and getting a ton of use. All of a sudden I started getting a lot of vibration on the drum when hitting it. I checked every bolt and tightened them today but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I tried digging through the archives to see if this was a common issue but besides some talk on swivel holes I didn't find much.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Some pictures I saw of other peoples set up had sandbags or weights on the drum. Should I be doing that? What else should I be checking or experimenting with?

I am kind of surprised that it wasn't having any issues at all and all of a sudden has tons of vibration but all the bolts seem ok.

Will go ahead and add that my carpentry, fixing stuff skills are super basic, ha.

thanks!
    Joe
  • hdalter
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2020

I've kind of gone overkill here but I always try to get rid of vibration and excess noise from all my bags...speed, double end, and heavy bag. For my speed bag, I recently bought the Balaz I-box and reinforced it with 3 5/4 inch pieces of glued pine and one precut that was 3/4". I glued them all together with the exception of the hardboard drum that shipped with the I-box. So all that is bolted together with 4 3/8 lag bolts w/ washers/lock washers/ and nuts. I put a cheap Everlast sandbag on top as well. I also hit all the gaps in my framing with some Great stuff window/door foam which makes a huge difference too. Seems pretty solid at this point. I've had some other set-ups with just the manufactures drum and a sandbad which seems to work fine. I just had some time over the holidays and thought I would over engineer by workout room. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201230_155733.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	123825

Comment

• Pete
      • Nov 2020

Nice! I bet some insulation or foam in between the studs would absorb some noise as well

Comment

• dad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2018

For what it's worth if you didn't have the problem in the fist place then something has changed and adding extra weight is only masking the problem, I would try to find the root cause of the problem first.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by hdalter View Post
          I've kind of gone overkill here but I always try to get rid of vibration and excess noise from all my bags...speed, double end, and heavy bag. For my speed bag, I recently bought the Balaz I-box and reinforced it with 3 5/4 inch pieces of glued pine and one precut that was 3/4". .... Seems pretty solid at this point. I've had some other set-ups with just the manufactures drum and a sandbad which seems to work fine. I just had some time over the holidays and thought I would over engineer by workout room. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201230_155733.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	123825
          That looks more efficient that parking a small volkswagen up there.... Gotta say it's beautiful workmanship. I imagine it's stable....
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hdalter
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2020

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Nice! I bet some insulation or foam in between the studs would absorb some noise as well
            I may add some insulation at some point if I drywall in there. I guess I could add some texas insulation (sheet insulation) or whatever it's called these days so I'm not breathing in fibers. Its pretty quiet now though.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...