Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Balazs I-Box Vibrations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Balazs I-Box Vibrations

    Hey guys,

    About 5 or so months ago I installed an I-Box on the concrete wall in my garage. It's been great and getting a ton of use. All of a sudden I started getting a lot of vibration on the drum when hitting it. I checked every bolt and tightened them today but it didn't seem to make a difference.

    I tried digging through the archives to see if this was a common issue but besides some talk on swivel holes I didn't find much.

    Has anyone else run into this issue? Some pictures I saw of other peoples set up had sandbags or weights on the drum. Should I be doing that? What else should I be checking or experimenting with?

    I am kind of surprised that it wasn't having any issues at all and all of a sudden has tons of vibration but all the bolts seem ok.

    Will go ahead and add that my carpentry, fixing stuff skills are super basic, ha.

    thanks!
    Joe

  • #2
    Originally posted by jfernandez View Post
    Hey guys,

    About 5 or so months ago I installed an I-Box on the concrete wall in my garage. It's been great and getting a ton of use. All of a sudden I started getting a lot of vibration on the drum when hitting it. I checked every bolt and tightened them today but it didn't seem to make a difference.

    I tried digging through the archives to see if this was a common issue but besides some talk on swivel holes I didn't find much.

    Has anyone else run into this issue? Some pictures I saw of other peoples set up had sandbags or weights on the drum. Should I be doing that? What else should I be checking or experimenting with?

    I am kind of surprised that it wasn't having any issues at all and all of a sudden has tons of vibration but all the bolts seem ok.

    Will go ahead and add that my carpentry, fixing stuff skills are super basic, ha.

    thanks!
    Joe
    Yes go ahead and add a sand bag, I have two square karate canvas sand bags on mine, although I don't have the same platform as yours, You'll find most people do have some sort of weight on their setup to absorb the vibration

    Comment


    • #3
      I've kind of gone overkill here but I always try to get rid of vibration and excess noise from all my bags...speed, double end, and heavy bag. For my speed bag, I recently bought the Balaz I-box and reinforced it with 3 5/4 inch pieces of glued pine and one precut that was 3/4". I glued them all together with the exception of the hardboard drum that shipped with the I-box. So all that is bolted together with 4 3/8 lag bolts w/ washers/lock washers/ and nuts. I put a cheap Everlast sandbag on top as well. I also hit all the gaps in my framing with some Great stuff window/door foam which makes a huge difference too. Seems pretty solid at this point. I've had some other set-ups with just the manufactures drum and a sandbad which seems to work fine. I just had some time over the holidays and thought I would over engineer by workout room. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201230_155733.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	123825

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice! I bet some insulation or foam in between the studs would absorb some noise as well

        Comment


        • #5
          For what it's worth if you didn't have the problem in the fist place then something has changed and adding extra weight is only masking the problem, I would try to find the root cause of the problem first.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by hdalter View Post
            I've kind of gone overkill here but I always try to get rid of vibration and excess noise from all my bags...speed, double end, and heavy bag. For my speed bag, I recently bought the Balaz I-box and reinforced it with 3 5/4 inch pieces of glued pine and one precut that was 3/4". .... Seems pretty solid at this point. I've had some other set-ups with just the manufactures drum and a sandbad which seems to work fine. I just had some time over the holidays and thought I would over engineer by workout room. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201230_155733.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	123825
            That looks more efficient that parking a small volkswagen up there.... Gotta say it's beautiful workmanship. I imagine it's stable....
            Speed Bag

            Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...


            sigpic

            The Art of the Bag

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pete View Post
              Nice! I bet some insulation or foam in between the studs would absorb some noise as well
              I may add some insulation at some point if I drywall in there. I guess I could add some texas insulation (sheet insulation) or whatever it's called these days so I'm not breathing in fibers. Its pretty quiet now though.

              Comment

              Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...
              X