• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarantine
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2020

Building Mayweather's speed bag platform

Hi Everyone!

My name is Roberto and i'm from Bergamo in Italy and i'm trying to build the speed bag of my dream. Don't be fooled by the title ahah, it is just an example of what i would like to do.
    This is the first time i write here but this forum is not stranger to me, i read a lot of topics (not every single of course ahaha) in the last quarantine, especially here in Bergamo where i had a lot of time because the covid begins earlier than the rest of the world
    but we'll get right to the point.

I know a retired qualified joiner that knows about my project and decided to help me. He has a shed of 300 m2 and also has every machine tool that he used to work. He retired just a couple of year ago and he keeps working.. so there are all requirements to do an original and professional speed bag platform.
    The wood i chose to use is a cherry tree that fell the last year in my farmer's field, than i made some thick tables and let dry over a year. NOT plywood or chipwood, only expensive and good quality wood. For the bracket i'm going to talk with a blacksmith, the idea is to make it in wrought iron.
    For the swivel i'm going to buy this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LMF-Speed-B...-/232899898875

Now, i know there is a lot of experts of the argoument here and that's the reason why i address to you. I don't have any limit for the budget, i want to have the SAME maywheater's speed bag (you can look at the attachments for more photo), i read that the cherry tree is preferred (with oak and other harder wooden) to make the platforms because first of all is hardwood, rejects the humidity and is very precoius.

My questions are:
    What is the size of the speed bag in the photo? Or, what do you suggest between diameter 24 inches or 30" ?
    What's the better thickness to reduce the vibration? I read is about 6 inches, correct?
    How many wooden tables i have to glue to create the platform? i mean, i can't use one table of solid wook to make it, i have to divide it in a lot of tables. how i have to do it?
    Any advice for the bracket?
    Do you suggest me the swivel i linked before?
    What is the standard size of the platform?
    And finally i accept any advice and critic to create the Floyd Maywheater speed bag.

Please give me more info for the construction of the platform to give guidance to my joiner. How many levels of wood or how many tables. Any type of advice, this project is not only mine, but our

I will post upgrades about this ambitious project, and a BIG THANK YOU for the patience.
    Aand.. sorry for my horrible english!

PS: i posted this topic even in the platform discussion, sorry
  • BLACKDEVILMI
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2020

ciao Roberto diametro 600mm, altezza dagli 8 cm in su. come pera cosa vuoi utilizzare? come swivel sembra bello quello dell' lmf. se vuoi ti invio foto di come ho fatto la mia, robusta zero vibrazioni. ciao
    Last edited by BLACKDEVILMI; 09-17-2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Quarantine
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2020

Ciao! Si mi farebbe molto piacere!
      Comunque di dove sei? Hai instagram?

Comment

• AlfredGaebeli
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • May 2020

That looks sweet!

Comment

• dad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2018

Welcome Quarantine, first I would like to say great English. I will try to speak to what I believe I have some knowledge in. Wood: Cherry wood is a great choice, hard wood straight grain. Vibration: it has been my experience that although the thickness of the wood does help reduce vibration the mount is more important. From the frame to where it will be mounted. Example: Is it free standing? On 4 x 4 or 6 x 6, or on a concert wall or basement rafters. I would start with the mount first. Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Comment

• Quarantine
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2020

Hello Dad, first of all thank you for your reply.
            the frame is the classic italian wall (i don’t now if you know how the houses are made here in italy) pure cement and bricks so... zero vibrations. Now, i don’t know how to create the bracket or even where buy it... any advices?

Comment

• pinzpirate
              • Feb 2020

What Dad was talking about was your platform frame vibrating not the walls Anyone with welding equipment can do the simple
              fabrication of the frame in your pictures Ask your buddies who can do these kind of projects If you can't find someone who is a
              friend of a friend kind of deal to help you out you are probably better buying something and just mounting it You can always build
              your cool drum and swap it out You can buy a really nice adjustable platform for what I would have charge to make a one off of
              one those frames in your pictures Time and materials After it is fabricated it has to be painted or powder coated I think the rest
              of this story tells itself

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

You used to be able to buy the just frame from one of the boxing supply houses, it might of been Balazs, or maybe Title,

Comment

• Beancooker
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jul 2020

A few months back I built an adjustable bracket that mounts to the wall. It’s definitely over engineered, but has almost zero vibration.

Building a speed bag platform So I wanted a speed bag platform. I needed it adjustable so my wife can use it too. I wanted it sturdy and to not have vibration, wiggle, or bounce around. I looked online at all the platforms available and none that were affordable would be easy enough for my wife to adjust. So I set out to

Comment

• dad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2018

Hi Quarantine, first a concert wall in my opinion is like gold, really solid. So the next question should be do you want it to be stationary or adjustable? This will have the most impact on your design.

Comment

• Quarantine
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jul 2020

Thanks to everyone for your answers, i'm so glad

pinzpirate i told ya that my english is not that good ahahah btw.
                      yesterday i told with a blacksmith for the frame and i really appreciated the chat with him. He's very interested about it.

I showed him the pic i posted here of maywheater and than he asked me if i want it in tubular iron (cheaper) or i want it in wrought iron (more expensive), what's better?
                      i think the tubolar iron is enough to hold the platform but i prefer to aks you before.
                      Dutchman i saw balzas and title but i didn't see the frame only (without platform), can you link me something about the bracket ?
                      Beancooker very very interesting contragulation on your project, that really imperious!
                      dad the speedbag i want to create is only for me so i want it stationary (just like the speed bag in attachment) do you have any advices ? if i "copy" the mayweather's speedbag bracket ?
                      It looks very solid!

Thank you everyone again!!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Quarantine
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jul 2020

I draw the bracket design, it's not very clear but you can understand how i want to make it. It could work? Most importantly, tubular iron or wrought iron?
                        And finally, if i put a super thin sheet (1 or 2 mm) of rubber or any soft material between the bracket and the platform (even between the bracket and the wall)? Or it's just a bad idea? i thought this to minimize or even cancel 100% of vibrations. It's not easy but we can only try

thanks in advance for your answers
                        Last edited by Quarantine; 09-30-2020, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• paranday
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2009

I like the bracing on your design. A much better bracket than the unbraced designs for sale elsewhere.

Comment

• BLACKDEVILMI
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Sep 2020

ciao ti ho scritto in privato

Comment

• Quarantine
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jul 2020

Thank you paranday for your opinion.. i hope so! i want to make it perfect

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...