• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peragio
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2020

R-sdp

Does anyone have a video on the R-SDP it's on page 103 in the speed bag bible. I been wanting to learn it . Thanks
  • LouisvilleBagr
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jun 2019

Search YouTube for speedbag Bible. Mr. Kahn has a great video on how to do it. I think it’s one of the first ones that pops up? Won’t find one better.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
      Search YouTube for speedbag Bible. Mr. Kahn has a great video on how to do it. I think it’s one of the first ones that pops up? Won’t find one better.
      I think you are talking about the Side-Double Punch (SDP). I don't remember doing the Reverse-Side Double Punch in this video

Demonstrating some Double Punch combinations from the Front, Back and Sides for a member of speedbagforum.com

Originally posted by peragio View Post
      Does anyone have a video on the R-SDP it's on page 103 in the speed bag bible. I been wanting to learn it . Thanks
      The Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP) is actually a mirror of the Side Double Punch (SDP), however I have to admit I errored when naming the SDP. And it is a big one, and I have hated the fact that I only realized the error after the first printing of the book (1,500 copies) was published. To fix it would have demanded a "total" re-write of the book from the "Side Chapter" to the end and many of those practice exercises would need to be changed.

The error of the SDP is the name. To be consistent with the rest of the book and technique names, it should have been called The Front-Side Double Punch (F-SDP) NOT (SDP).
      You see, the "lead fist" of the Side-Double Punch hits the "front" of the bag, just like the lead fist of the Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP) hits the reverse area of the bag.

In the FDP, both fists hit the "front". In the RDP, but fists hit the reverse (back) are of the bag. in the R-SDP and S-RDP, I specifically indicated the contact areas of the Lead and Second fist.

but in the SDP, I did not - and that really irritates me that I didn't catch that. To change that would have caused every single exercise with the (SDP) to be changed to (F-SDP) ....but that adds two extra spaces (letters) to the line...and in many lines it appears four, maybe five times..and that would extend the exercise to the next line...making it more difficult to read. In truth I did try to go back and change that, but the "extra" lines added up to six or seven more pages to print, and for a print run of several thousand, that can add and extra $500 to $1,000 in print costs,...upping the price of the book. SO, (ahhhh!) I decided to leave it wrong over the next printings. Just know the "lead fist" hits the front and the "second fist" hits the side.

ANYWAY, for the Reverse-Side Double Punch, extend your arm to behind the bag, for the RSP, and the other hand out to a bit to the side of the bag. Do a few RSP and then a RSP ' SSP.

RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' SSP = (R-SDP)

to get used to that, you can use "3" rebounds instead of "1" since they are both odd. RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' SSP (you follow that with SSP ' ' ' SSP ' ' ' RSP...)

You can set up for this from a FDP by letting a fist (2nd is easiest) pass through bag to do the RSP. The lead fist hits the bag and floats to side area. So FDP ' ' R-SDP (note 2 rebounds)

with the fists, it would be L-R_(FDP) ' ' R-L_(R-SDP).

You could also Vary that and make it a bit easier by adding one RSP in between. L-R (FDP) ' ' ' R_RSP ' ' ' R-L(R-SDP).

That RSP does NOT have to hit "directly behind the bag". in fact you will often find it hits more of the side-reverse area of the bag panel behind. That will alter that bag rebound angle a bit but won't effect the combination.

Hope that helps.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• peragio
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

I think you are talking about the Side-Double Punch (SDP). I don't remember doing the Reverse-Side Double Punch in this video

Demonstrating some Double Punch combinations from the Front, Back and Sides for a member of speedbagforum.com

The Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP) is actually a mirror of the Side Double Punch (SDP), however I have to admit I errored when naming the SDP. And it is a big one, and I have hated the fact that I only realized the error after the first printing of the book (1,500 copies) was published. To fix it would have demanded a "total" re-write of the book from the "Side Chapter" to the end and many of those practice exercises would need to be changed.

The error of the SDP is the name. To be consistent with the rest of the book and technique names, it should have been called The Front-Side Double Punch (F-SDP) NOT (SDP).
        You see, the "lead fist" of the Side-Double Punch hits the "front" of the bag, just like the lead fist of the Reverse-Side Double Punch (R-SDP) hits the reverse area of the bag.

In the FDP, both fists hit the "front". In the RDP, but fists hit the reverse (back) are of the bag. in the R-SDP and S-RDP, I specifically indicated the contact areas of the Lead and Second fist.

but in the SDP, I did not - and that really irritates me that I didn't catch that. To change that would have caused every single exercise with the (SDP) to be changed to (F-SDP) ....but that adds two extra spaces (letters) to the line...and in many lines it appears four, maybe five times..and that would extend the exercise to the next line...making it more difficult to read. In truth I did try to go back and change that, but the "extra" lines added up to six or seven more pages to print, and for a print run of several thousand, that can add and extra $500 to $1,000 in print costs,...upping the price of the book. SO, (ahhhh!) I decided to leave it wrong over the next printings. Just know the "lead fist" hits the front and the "second fist" hits the side.

ANYWAY, for the Reverse-Side Double Punch, extend your arm to behind the bag, for the RSP, and the other hand out to a bit to the side of the bag. Do a few RSP and then a RSP ' SSP.

RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' SSP = (R-SDP)

to get used to that, you can use "3" rebounds instead of "1" since they are both odd. RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' SSP (you follow that with SSP ' ' ' SSP ' ' ' RSP...)

You can set up for this from a FDP by letting a fist (2nd is easiest) pass through bag to do the RSP. The lead fist hits the bag and floats to side area. So FDP ' ' R-SDP (note 2 rebounds)

with the fists, it would be L-R_(FDP) ' ' R-L_(R-SDP).

You could also Vary that and make it a bit easier by adding one RSP in between. L-R (FDP) ' ' ' R_RSP ' ' ' R-L(R-SDP).

That RSP does NOT have to hit "directly behind the bag". in fact you will often find it hits more of the side-reverse area of the bag panel behind. That will alter that bag rebound angle a bit but won't effect the combination.

Hope that helps.
        that video is how i learned the SDP took me forever but finally got it, Thanks so much for writing the speed bag bible it has been a great help to me and many others. maybe sometime you could put up a video of the R-SDP.

Comment

• peragio
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
          thanks i agree

Comment

• AlfredGaebeli
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • May 2020

The bible alone suffices to learn it. Yet when I was practising, there were times I wished I had videos. So here you go:
            Last edited by AlfredGaebeli; 07-28-2020, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jun 2019

Great video Alfred, you’re looking very comfortable and accurate with those side hits.

this was the Youtube video I was thinking of

Comment

• AlfredGaebeli
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • May 2020

LouisvilleBagr Thanks dude. Took a lot of practice. I've also been practising that triple strike that Alan shows in the video you mentioned - it's not easy.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by AlfredGaebeli View Post
                  The bible alone suffices to learn it. Yet when I was practising, there were times I wished I had videos. So here you go:
                  BRILLIANT tutorial! You did yourself proud on that! Very well presented and punched!

Fun fact: Since you perfectly did the R-SDP ' ' ' SSP. ' ' ' SSP...... You can also scoot that second SSP a little more toward the reverse area (behind the bag) to make it a RSP and it will be in perfect position to lead another R-SDP.

(L-R)_R-SDP ' ' ' (R)_SSP ' ' ' (R)_RSP ' ' ' (R-L)_R-SDP Of course you have to let the left fist drift out to the side of the bag.

I notice in you demo you let the "lead" (1st) fist pass thru to do the RSP. Also let your 2nd fist pass thru to do the RSP If you do that you will find the combination naturally repeats itself.

(FDP)_L-R ' ' (R-L)_R-SDP ' ' (FDP)_L-R ' ' (R-L)_R-SDP ' ' (FDP)_L-R ' ' (R-L)_R-SDP (* note the two rebounds of "Side to front" (SSP ' ' FCP)

Also start doing...

RDP ' ' ' RDP ' ' ' R-SDP..... (lead fist drifts to side, second fist recircles behind to lead the R-RDP.

hint: Anytime you plan to use the SSP, you can keep the fist closer to the bag. It can "hang-out" just past the arc of the rebound... not 5-8 inches away.

Learn to keep your fists close to the bag as you move around it. You will eventually be faster because of it.
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 07-28-2020, 07:42 PM.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• AlfredGaebeli
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • May 2020

Speedbag I appreciate the kind words, thank you very much Alan.

Also let your 2nd fist pass thru to do the RSP If you do that you will find the combination naturally repeats itself.
                    I have been doing that aswell, but it's not as flawless (yet!) as letting the first fist pass through to the RSP. Letting the second fist pass through is much harder imo, as I have to shift my weight.
                    I'm currently, with the advanced chapter, learning how one rotates the fists in combination with the various double punches. Most challenging exercises are (imo) the ones where you throw a S-RDP while the bag is bouncing from front to back. Did I mention I'm a huge fan of double punches? :P

Learn to keep your fists close to the bag as you move around it. You will eventually be faster because of it.
                    Thanks for the hint. I will keep it in mind.

Edit:
                    Since you perfectly did the R-SDP ' ' ' SSP. ' ' ' SSP...... You can also scoot that second SSP a little more toward the reverse area (behind the bag) to make it a RSP and it will be in perfect position to lead another R-SDP.
                    Huh. I do have to try that! A hit from the back of the bag, while it's bouncing side to side. Sounds challenging - I love it!
                    Last edited by AlfredGaebeli; 07-28-2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Speedbag I appreciate the kind words, thank you very much Alan.

I have been doing that aswell, but it's not as flawless (yet!) as letting the first fist pass through to the RSP. Letting the second fist pass through is much harder imo, as I have to shift my weight.
                      I'm currently, with the advanced chapter, learning how one rotates the fists in combination with the various double punches. Most challenging exercises are (imo) the ones where you throw a S-RDP while the bag is bouncing from front to back. Did I mention I'm a huge fan of double punches? :P

Thanks for the hint. I will keep it in mind.

Edit:

Huh. I do have to try that! A hit from the back of the bag, while it's bouncing side to side. Sounds challenging - I love it!
                      The SSP is the very same movement as a RSP. the only difference is the position of the arm/elbow, which is more "back and out" for the Side punch.You can easily move from SSP to RSP by just bringing the elbow forward and turning your body a bit to that same side of the bag as your arm. Also you can move the same arm from RSP to SSP with just a slight alteration of arm/body position. Think about this....as the hand moves around the bag there is a point where the bag area changes and you can use those points to vary the angle of rebound. for example, moving a SSP from directly into the side of the bag...toward the back of the bag just a bit so it looks and feels more like a RSP. That happens right at the point where the "X" of bag areas happens.

Look at the picture below. and notice that there is a point where the SSP becomes a RSP where the "X" meets. If you do this with the right fist it will be hard for any body watching to tell if it was SSP or RSP and the rebound will almost the same. AT the point ANY combination you can do from a RSP you can do from the SSP. I personally see the fist movement as the same movement and the only different is where it connects on the bag. With practice you will learn to
                      manipulate the contact angle slightly and "cheat the rebound" to go in a slightly better direction to set up for a more complicated combination.
                      Play with it and find how it works for you.

Personally the S-RDP is the hardest technique to use in a fast flowing set. I use it a lot in more complicated combinations going around from front-side-back but rarely use it as a stand along technique.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7632.jpg Views:	5 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	122176
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 07-30-2020, 06:24 PM.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• peragio
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jul 2020

Thank you so much great video

Comment

• DizzyD
                          • Jun 2020

The bible alone suffices to learn it. Yet when I was practising, there were times I wished I had videos.
                          There you got a good point Alfred. The Bible is a really great written book to learn all the techniques of speedbagging. I often think that I got a move or a sequence and the slightly differing ways of hitting the bag and combined movements Alan explains always show me that there’s a lot more to go.

Having these extra explanations by Alan or your videos here add another view and do really help progressing. Thanks a lot to all of you in this Forum who help with support.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...