• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beancooker
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2020

New guy here - Building a platform

Good morning, I’m new here. I have decided to build a speed bag platform and found this forum.
    I have looked at what is available for purchase and they are quite expensive for what I want. That’s why I have decided to build one.
    I plan on using a double V from the wall for support. One if the V’s will come off the wall horizontal, the other will be sloped down at a 45 angle. I figure four points of attachment to the wall will give it rigidity, and prevent vibration.
    These will butt together at a 4x4 plate that will run parallel with the wall. The blank side of the plate will have two latge nuts that a 1.5” acme screw will thread through. This acme screw will attach to the platform and provide adjustability. I’ll use a third nut on the top as a lock nut to cinch things down after adjustment.
    I ordered butcher block to build the platform from. I’ll glue and screw two pieces together to make a 3” platform.
    Since Title is sold out if lightning swivels, I chose to go with the Platinum Premier Pro swivel.

I’ll post pics as parts arrive, and document the build with pics.
    Last edited by Beancooker; 07-21-2020, 09:00 AM. Reason: Edited to add missing content.
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

go nuts and post pics, please
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• dad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2018

Sounds great. Like rd said keep us posted.

Comment

• Jeff Thrasher
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Apr 2020

You have put some serious thought into your design!! I love it!!! hit me up if you want to talk about various types of swivels. I build my own platforms as well so i completely understand your thinking. Me and a lot of other guys are on Instagram as well. Great place to share videos as well. There are a ton of great baggers out there. Awesome to have you join the club!! We want baggers from all walks of life. I'm sure by now you know there is more than one way to use the speed bag. I started traditional style in January and by the end of march i was switching my style to Bible style. I had no idea when i started bagging that i was going to fall in love with punch drumming. It is a completely different dynamic to traditional style. If you do go to Instagram i am SpeedBagThrasher and Speed Bag Skunk is Zach Ruffo. Look us up. Ruffo just posted recently a video of him going to pound town on a custom swivel i made for him. Talk about awesome to watch!! My email is jnathrasher@gmail.com if you cant reach me here

Comment

• Mickey Dix
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Beancooker View Post
          Good morning, I’m new here. I have decided to build a speed bag platform and found this forum.
          I have looked at what is available for purchase and they are quite expensive for what I want. That’s why I have decided to build one.
          I plan on using a double V from the wall for support. One if the V’s will come off the wall horizontal, the other will be sloped down at a 45 angle. I figure four points of attachment to the wall will give it rigidity, and prevent vibration.
          These will butt together at a 4x4 plate that will run parallel with the wall. The blank side of the plate will have two latge nuts that a 1.5” acme screw will thread through. This acme screw will attach to the platform and provide adjustability. I’ll use a third nut on the top as a lock nut to cinch things down after adjustment.
          I ordered butcher block to build the platform from. I’ll glue and screw two pieces together to make a 3” platform.
          Since Title is sold out if lightning swivels, I chose to go with the Platinum Premier Pro swivel.

I’ll post pics as parts arrive, and document the build with pics.
          Welcome Beancooker,You will like this forum it is filled with a lot of great people . Love to see the homemade platforms. Good luck !!!

Comment

• Beancooker
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2020

Wow! Thanks for the welcome. So while ages ago I was mediocre at best on the speed bag, I decided after a hernia and surgery it’s time to get back in shape. So I am two weeks out of surgery, and I plan to build next weekend (August 1). Hopefully released to full duty by August 10 or 17.

Im stoked to build this and as I said, I’ll keep everyone updated.

How do you upload an avatar here?

Comment

• AlfredGaebeli
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • May 2020

Pictures or it didn't happen. :P
              Welcome to speedbag forum!

Comment

• Beancooker
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jul 2020

Swivel and bags from Title shipped yesterday. Still waiting on tracking from McMaster Carr. Block should be at Home Depot by Friday.

Comment

• Beancooker
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jul 2020

Acme screw and nuts arrived today from McMaster Carr. There’s a quarter on one if the nuts to give perspective to the size.

Comment

• pinzpirate
                    • Feb 2020

So your platform frame will be all steel?
                    You might want to make your plate a little bigger I assume you're are going to box or gusset the nuts that support
                    shaft Look forward to seeing the finished product

Comment

• Beancooker
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jul 2020

So the wood is cut and laminated. You only get to see the ugly (top) side in the pics. I’ll show more later. Bags and swivel arrived and I think I should be good to go for putting it all together this weekend. I still need to treat the wood so there’s that. Guess it’s something to keep me busy in the evenings.

Comment

• Beancooker
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jul 2020

Sanded and stained the wood.

Comment

• Beancooker
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jul 2020

After some glaze coat, it's looking pretty good. One air bubble that kept forming from a hollow knot, ended up getting scorched a bit and turned into an ugly blemish. Aside of that, I think it looks pretty good. Even with the blemish, it’s incredibly flat and almost perfectly smooth. Should work really well for rebounding the bag.

Comment

• BagBoy
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jan 2018

Great pictorial walkthrough! I enjoyed that, enjoy!
                            Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...