• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wes_mantooth
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2008

Speed Bag in Power Rack

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so sorry if this has been covered before. My wife picked up a speed bag for me to go along with my heavy bag. I hang my heavy bag from my power rack with a heavy duty carabiner. However, I'm stumped as to how to hang the speed bag. My power rack has a lat attachment so I would have to mount the rebound board to the top side of the power rack I suppose. Anyone ever done this or have any advice on how to make this work? Thanks in advance.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

can't say I've ever seen a speed bag as part of a power rack. I would think you could use the vertical power rack mounts as the "wall" and then add vertical speed bag mounts to the vertical power rack mounts and attach the wood to those. I'm just speculating here, but it should work.

It may also depend on the power rack construction materials.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• wes_mantooth
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2008

That's kinda what I was thinking. The vertical posts of the power rack are 30" apart. They are made from heavy duty metal of some type. Where would I find the posts you are talking about? I guess I would have to drill through the power rack? I wonder if some of those heavy duty tie downs for towing boats or atvs would strap on to the vertical speed bag supports and I could attach the wood from there?

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

Cheek plates may also work as an alternative, if you are hesitant about drilling more holes in your power rack.
        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by wes_mantooth View Post
          That's kinda what I was thinking. The vertical posts of the power rack are 30" apart. They are made from heavy duty metal of some type. Where would I find the posts you are talking about? I guess I would have to drill through the power rack? I wonder if some of those heavy duty tie downs for towing boats or atvs would strap on to the vertical speed bag supports and I could attach the wood from there?
          I'm thinking some type of steel "L" bracket but much bigger and heavy duty. You would attach the wood to these. However you attach it to the power rack it would have to be extremely tight and solid. I would also add angled support brackets above the board to hold it steady.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• wes_mantooth
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2008

I used a 30" by 24" board and attached the two ends to the power rack posts with steel "l" brackets, bolts, and nuts. You were right about the other side though. It moves way too much to be effective. Any thoughts on keeping it from moving so much?

Comment

• dax_q
              • Jan 2008

Wes,
              I will take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again.

Comment

• wes_mantooth
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
                Wes,
                I will take your mother, Dorothy Mantooth, out to a nice seafood dinner and never call her again.

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!!!

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I used a 30" by 24" board and attached the two ends to the power rack posts with steel "l" brackets, bolts, and nuts. You were right about the other side though. It moves way too much to be effective. Any thoughts on keeping it from moving so much?
                  Can you post a pic or two? That might help bring some ideas.

I should mention it almost never hurts to have more weight over the board ... I've used sandbags well wrapped in plastic in the past. I currently have an 80lb heavy bag on top of mine

Comment

• dax_q
                    • Jan 2008

Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!!!
                    Nicely played sir.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...