• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RochesterDave
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jul 2008

Deflated speed bag

Hi Everyone -

i've had an everlast 4210 (11x8 i believe) for about 2 months now. i practice about 2 hours a night, give or take. finished training last night and everything seemed in order. tonight, i whipped open the garage door to enthusiastically pick up where i left off, for i constantly think about hitting the bag and practicing combos all day long. to my dismay, my 4210 was deflated. i then pumped it back up, did some linking and a reverse fist roll and the air had escaped again.

i went through some previous posts on the subject, which prompted me to open up the top of the bag and mess around a bit. i cannot get a visual on the bladder as to where the leak might be but when i give it a little squeeze, i can hear air escaping.

my question - is this common after this amount of use? i remember reading Alan state that the 4210 is a nice bag so is this just 'one of those things' where the bladder can go at anytime? i planned on buying a medium sized bag anyway so i'm not that thrown off, just ticked about missing a couple days of training.

after drilling some new holes in the platform and switching swivels, i don't really want to mess with the whole bladder change thing. also, is there a natural progression bag that i should buy next? maybe like a 9x6? and can i expect a similar short life span of the bag?

thank you so much for everything, everyone!
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

A 9x6 would be a good next size.

Most of my bags are going on 2 years lifespan, I've not had a bladder go out yet.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Is it a rubber bladder or a plastic one? In my experience the plastic ones have a habit of letting go at the seams

Comment

• RochesterDave
        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jul 2008

its an orange rubber bladder - ive read this is the better one. it has the everlast logo on it. would you recommend trying to return the bag to the sporting goods store because it's only lasted 2 months? seems like a short lifespan from what i've read.

Comment

• Roc Stone
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2007

Howdy.

I don't think you will get much joy from taking the bag back to the shop, at best they will probably try and sell you a new bladder. However I do think you would be entitled to a new baldder replacement free of charge.

Whether you have to fix the old bladder or install a new one, you are still going to have to perform surgery on your speed bag.

To fix the leaky one you wil need to isolate the leak, best doing this by submerging it in water. If the leak is in the bladder, patch it. If the leak is in the valve try packing the valve inlet with vasoline, making sure you push enough through to the inside of the bladder. This is not 100% but it worked for me.

Alternatively buy yourself a Everlast 4200, they're slightly wider than a 9x6 but they carry a good weight. You probrably what to keep with the weightier bag at this point rather than going to a feather light.

Just as a matter of interest I own two 4210's. One made in US, and the other made in China. The Chinese bag is the newer. The shape is slightly different (I don't know if this is because of the wear and/or life), the US bag is just a little bit bigger. The Chinese bag weighs approx 308g, nearly 100g more than the US bag, which is the heavy speed bag I believe Dee Pooler uses.

You have to admire the diversity of the Everlast range of speed bag and boxing equip in general.

As for simetry in speed bags, my Title, Jim Bradley and Ringside are probrably the truest in that dept, but that doesn't mean i favour them. If you are not using a B/H swivel it won't matter what bag you are using, you are always going to have a variable element in your hitting.
          sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by sbkidd73 View Post
            Hi Everyone -

i've had an everlast 4210 (11x8 i believe) for about 2 months now. i practice about 2 hours a night, give or take. finished training last night and everything seemed in order. tonight, i whipped open the garage door to enthusiastically pick up where i left off, for i constantly think about hitting the bag and practicing combos all day long. to my dismay, my 4210 was deflated. i then pumped it back up, did some linking and a reverse fist roll and the air had escaped again.

i went through some previous posts on the subject, which prompted me to open up the top of the bag and mess around a bit. i cannot get a visual on the bladder as to where the leak might be but when i give it a little squeeze, i can hear air escaping.

my question - is this common after this amount of use? i remember reading Alan state that the 4210 is a nice bag so is this just 'one of those things' where the bladder can go at anytime?
            The Red Everlast 4210 (*shown here on this link) is an 11x8 bag. I bought that bag and wall unit in 1989, These pictures were taken in 1994 () , and that very bag still holds air today. I use it with my grandchildren when they come over. I've never changed the bladder. Lucky me I guess. but I do not use it every day, and don't overinflate it.

I don't think losing air so soon after purchase is common, but it can happen. Yes, it is probably "one of those things" where the bladder or valve has broken down prematurely. Rubber bladders tend to patch easier than plastic - so if you can HEAR the air coming out and it's from the bladder, (not the valve) you can probably locate it pretty easy by wetting your hand and rubbing the bladder with water. Squeeze it to make air escape and perhaps you'll see tiny bubbles where the leaks is. IF you're lucky, it will be at a place that is easily accessible to patch.

For a valve problem, Roc Stone is probably right. You can plug the valve. I've actually seen this done with a tire flat plug. Blow the bag up to full volume, put the plug in and hope it holds. Usually it's a one shot deal. If it leaks again, you have to change the bladder.

Originally posted by sbkidd73 View Post
            .... also, is there a natural progression bag that i should buy next? maybe like a 9x6? and can i expect a similar short life span of the bag?

thank you so much for everything, everyone!
            A 9x6 will go two sizes down, and you can probably handle that. It will be a bit faster, so you can inflate that bag a bit "soft" or mushy to kill some speed, OR, just hit softer. However for a more challenging workout, you may find softer and slower is better until you adapt to the smaller and quicker rebound arc. This red 9x6 is a great bag, and the black 10x7 is also good. I have both. I'd go with the 9x6 so you have the extra speed choice later.

Good luck with fixing your old 4210. I learned to hit to music on mine, so I'm kinda partial to it.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• mikerehab
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jul 2008

I use everlast bags (4200, 4210) and go through about a bladder every year or two on each bag. I recommend keeping a couple of backup bladders around (available from Everlast, and they are not expensive) , so your training is not interrupted by an event like the one you describe. It relatively easy to change the bladder using the instructions that come with it. It takes about 30 min if you follow the instructions exactly and 10 min if you skip the rubber cement, which I have found to be unnecessary if you keep the bag inflated correctly.

Comment

• sidecarr
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jul 2008

my first bag was a 4210 (made in USA) ,have it set up for my son to use ,still holds air ,think its at least ten years old

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...