• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikerehab
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2008

Getting my kids interested in speedbag

I am interested in getting my daughters (age 5,8) interested in speedbag and heavy bag. They have seen me hit and teach, and occasionally they will mess around with it (and they seem to be enjoying it). When it comes to sports, they tend to do well in lessons (swimming, ice skating), but less well when being taught by me. The things I was able to teach them successfully and enjoyably was hitting a baseball, jump roping, and biking. I would appreciate any tips for getting them interested in practicing, without turning them off.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I can only say let it be fun and progress at their own pace.

I had a similiar issue with trying to teach my step children. I tried to not "over teach" and let it be fun, but they were kind of intimidated by it ( and my hitting it a bit better than them..) and I think that they never felt they could measure up. I did try to convey that they should not try to compare themself to anyone else, particularly me - but they didn't stay at it. I noticed that if they would be hitting by themself on the bag and I walked up they would quit.

On the other hand, I never took it personal because they quit just about anything they started, particularly if it took focused practice. They loved to PLAY sports but didn't like to PRACTICE them. After a few times at something if they weren't really good they quit. They were all physically coordinated, just never would spend the time to excel at anything inparticular. Now my grandkids are trying to hit it, but I don't see them enough to make a difference.

For you it may depend on your relationship with them. If they really like hanging with Dad and practicing. Let them have fun with it and try not to "over teach".

Somehow I imagine you'll do fine.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

I got my kids interested. Like Alan says, just let them progress at their own pace. When they're hitting the bags, I just go out and praise them telling them how great they are. I also video them and post their videos on You tube for comments this gives them lots of motivation. They actually have their moments though, for example they'll have a little hit here and there but nothing more. Sometimes they'll really get into it for a couple of weeks then back off for a couple of months, so it's on and off.

Last edited by ukspeedbag; 07-19-2008, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• metaldad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2007

I'm with Alan and Uk, just let 'em have fun with it
        sigpic

Comment

• toolboxdiver
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2008

I'll 4th that recomendation...my daughter is much older and she loves hitting the bags. Don't push them just make it fun and good luck

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by mikerehab View Post
            I am interested in getting my daughters (age 5,8) interested in speedbag and heavy bag.
            I have boys aged 4 and 7. They'll mess with the speed bag a little bit, but don't really show much interest. I've made the equipment available and I ask them if they want to learn it, but I imagine they'll just have to decide for themselves if and when they'll take to it.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...