• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedslug
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2017

How To Practice question

When trying to learn/practice new stuff would it be better to use a larger bag? I have 3 sizes available 10x8, 9x6 & a 6x4. I should of bought an 8or7x5 instead of the 6x4 because I’m not skilled enough to control the 6x4. Just asking what the more experienced/competent people think.
  • Cazbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2018

Yes sir the larger bags are recommended for beginning and learning new stuff. You could also under inflate your 9x6 to help slow it down and keep under control. Welcome aboard Speedslug!

Comment

• Mickey Dix
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Speedslug View Post
      When trying to learn/practice new stuff would it be better to use a larger bag? I have 3 sizes available 10x8, 9x6 & a 6x4. I should of bought an 8or7x5 instead of the 6x4 because I’m not skilled enough to control the 6x4. Just asking what the more experienced/competent people think.
      Hi speedslug!!! Welcome to this Very Knowledgeable place.I am not as skilled as these folks but I have found that using a bigger bag and going slow will improve your skills.Speed will come naturally. Keep bagging!!!!

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

I'll second what Caz said. When I was starting out I had my Cleto 7-10 almost overinflated, the second I let some air out I started making progress.
        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Speedslug
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2017

Roger that, thanks chaps, I think I’ve been trying to run before I can walk so to speak, funny how easy the people who’ve mastered it make it look, like most sports I guess, especially golf...... never again.....
          gonna let some air out of my peanut tonight and try that

Comment

• BagBoy
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2018

Roger that, thanks chaps, I think I’ve been trying to run before I can walk so to speak, funny how easy the people who’ve mastered it make it look, like most sports I guess, especially golf...... never again.....
            gonna let some air out of my peanut tonight and try that
            Are you completely new to speed bagging? I can't speak for everybody but I started out just trying to master triplets, fist-roll and doubles (Rocky stuff). From there things begin to branch out.. may I also ask what you're using for a swivel?
            Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Speedslug
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Mar 2017

I’m a novice to the skills/tricks side of baggin but I’ve used it for years off and on in the boxing gym, I’d say I’ve got good basic level but over the last few years I’ve been dabbling with the more technical skills, always been fascinated by Alan khan’s hand speed and skills

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I’m a novice to the skills/tricks side of baggin but I’ve used it for years off and on in the boxing gym, I’d say I’ve got good basic level but over the last few years I’ve been dabbling with the more technical skills, always been fascinated by Alan khan’s (kahn actually) hand speed and skills
                Hey Speedslug,

welcome to the forum. I'm honored by your reference, but my hand speed was never the fastest. I've always known "faster" punchers and never really cared about "who is the fastest" because that was always relative to "bag size and HOW you are punching", such as (1) just from the front in Triplet Rhythm (3 rebounds) (2) Hitting from the front with 1 rebound (Front Fist Rolling) (3) From all sides, (front, back, left and right sides) or (4) using elbows with fists.

The best we can do is all use the SAME style with a reliable measurement device, and we had the for a while with the speed demon measure device.
                The Speed Demon XT knows exactly what you want to know - just how fast are you? TITLE's Douglas Ward shows how this new technology works and the ways you can...

We had several contests with this at our annual speed bag gathering and I believe we had a very few get to "600 punches" and several made the 500 club. There use to be a link to the yearly totals and contestants on "the speedbagshack.com" but like much in the speed bag world, The "speed demon" digital measurement device and references to the records have disappeared . https://www.speedbagshack.com/about-supply

Personally I recommend a "newbie" forget about speed, for it is completely relevant, and dependent - on CONTROL. it is more correctly called a "control bag" and control of "fast things" (cars, bicycles, motorcycles, speed bags...) comes much easier at slower speeds. Funny thing is, IF you just work on control, with very little punching force used.... you will automatically start going faster as your control grows. Control is also dependent on bag, shape, size, inflation and swivel used. Even the best baggers may have to work a minute on a variation of those to "get control." That comes from somewhere inside the brain that can adapt to the changes of "your normal" and make it work. For instance "I" (and a few others I know...) prefer to hit on ball hooks, AND when we are presented with a "U-Bolt" swivel, we will most likely "miss" or break down more than usual. I won't go into the various reasons for that, (we have in many other posts..) but it is a factor for controlling hitting the bag from all sides. On the other hand, a lot of speed baggers that prefer the U-bolt style will move to a ball hook and find they have "control problems".

So the moral of this story is to focus on control. Hitting at a speed that you can control the bag.

Personally, I recommend three "speeds" for speed bag work.

1: learning speed. Here you are "learning" new movements or joining techniques into combination from (1) the same side - or (2) different sides of the bag.

for instance, from the same side, going from single punching to continuous alternating Front Double Punching (FDP). OR, Continuous alternating Front Double Punching (FDP) to Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll). There is some initially complicated fist changes happening in these rather quickly in front of the bag, and you will need to Practice these FIRST without the bag, (air punching the movement) and then SLOWLY on the bag. The take time, but as you learn each new technique and how it joins with others, it gets easier. Every technique you learn will open up at least 4 or 5 other combinations.

Likewise, when joining techniques from different sides of the bag, (we call that "linking" side of bag) it also requires understanding how the fist(s) "pass through" the bag to different sides. or - subtle movements to alter a fist angle to make a specific bag rebound angle.... All of that takes both understanding how to do it and finding the control speed to learn it. It is usually SLOW.

2: Training Speed. To me training speed is your 70-90% speed that you can punch comfortably with all the techniques and combinations you can control. For instance, many people can do this easily and comfortable, pretty fast, with the Basic Triplet Rhythm. The can get do this long enough without missing and staring over to actually get a "physical training benefit", train for strength (larger bag) or cardio vascular benefit to elevate heart and breathing... AND do this without having to really thing about it. I compare this to Road Running at your normal comfortable rate. You can do it for a long time, go a bit slower, then faster, but all under control. At this rate you cannot use speed bag techniques you cannot control yet at that speed. They may make you miss, break down (stop punching AHH!) and have to start over. Yes, eventually every new technique will get to this speed, but it will take time. For training speed you are NOT really concentrating on your punching speed or your techniques...You just hit and your mind can wonder to ponder the issues of interest.

3: Full speed: (Full speed punching also requires great control of the techniques you are using.) For me, this takes focus and concentration. You are right at the edge of control, TRYING to go fast, and this can create tension. This is similar to running an obstacle course, on a trail at Full speed, trying to go as fast as you can. AT this point, I would be struggling for control...ie..to keep my movements "small" (punching harder to go faster usually makes larger movements, and on a small bag the hand will not return to the contact point if the movement is too large...it's a trade off). I have to try to purposely relax for the natural tendency when hitting at full speed is to hit "harder" and that usually cause more tension in the muscle, straining to go fast, and this will kill speed. You don't see sprinters on the line tensing as hard as they can to get ready to go fast. Tension creates rigidity and kills speed. You have to understand that hitting a full speed is not really hitting AS HARD AS YOU CAN. the bag can always go faster than you and you can always hit "harder" but at some point the full force of your punch (on a given bag size) will not allow your hand to return in time. When I go as "fast as I can" on an 8x5, than go "as fast as I can" on a 10x7, I can hit HARDER on the bigger bag, because it is slower. AS fast as I can go on that bag lets me hit a bit harder then on the 8x5 for at some point the length of the movement required to punch harder and make the bag go faster will find my hand returns a bit late and I will miss.
                * the reason I say Full Speed punching requires great control is you can really hurt yourself punching Full speed if not careful. I've seen people punch the swivel, board and (guilty) smack yourself in the face really hard on a reverse punch (coming to the face) with a too large movement. raise your hand if you've ever busted your lip, or bruised your chest on this one. Yeah, it happens at full speed)

So, anyway, I would suggest at this stage you pretty much focus on learning speed and for fun use what you know at training speed. Training speed is the most fun, especially as you add those new techniques into the mix! Don't worry about speed. It will find you.

Last edited by Speedbag; 11-03-2019, 04:55 PM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...