• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

Closed Fist Slapping

Hi Guy's

I've been giving that side split-fist linking a good go since I checked out those vintage videos. In these videos I noted that both sexes appear to have this closed fist slap style of hitting the bag at different stages, from time to time; so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Doing it: As far as endurance goes the closed fist slap is a winner. When going for distance/time, sure you'd start fists as normal for the SDP. Getting over the minute mark doing repetative side split-fist linking, starting to feel a good amount of lactic acid build up in the traps, latts and upper arms. It feels great, knowing that I'm tapping into new muscle groups doing this. I keep it going, increasing the pace on and off in increments; man this is really burning my shoulders. It is now, when I rotate my fists 90* into the closed fist slap style position, for the 1st time ever.

Approaching the 2nd minute mark, I have gained instant relief from the lactic acid build up in my shoulder region from going into the closed fist slap. It feels different, but ok. Pushing on, I'm now noticing different sensations in my fists and wrists. Every time I connect with the bag now I'm having to make ajustments with my finger tips and the way I'm clenching my fist, if I lapse with my fists there is now the chance of the bag splitting/spreading the clench of my fists. Picking up the pace now, swinging a lot more form the elbow rather than the shoulder, my wrists have become totally unlocked, the motion I mimic when I connect with the bag is almost the same motion as knocking on someones front door. The lactic acid build up has come back, this time in my forearms and wrists.

Results: While the closed fist slap was a great reliever to the muscle groups associateded to our normal mode of side punching it detatched from being able to deliver this type of strike with any natural power. To compensate this (at this point) I was forced to make my swings less rigid, and began taking swipes at the bag. This worked, and for the most part worked well.

Conclusion: Its been about an hour and a half since I did it. The closed fist slap has openned up a new muscle group that, before, I had never really associated with the speed bag, to this degree anyway. My forearms and wrists are feeling really tight at the momment and I have a feeling that down the track there's going to be a little bit of a pain factor in those areas. The only other time/s I have ever experienced a quality forearm workout was after a game of squash, but the disadvantage of that was that it only worked out my dominant arm; not with the speed bag. All in all, its been a fantastic way to do a forearm, wrist work out.
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I'm having problems visualizing the "closed fist slap"... Can you post a link to video with it? Does it mean making a fist and hitting with the palm of the hand rather than the knuckles?

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Like Tim, I would want to see these side-to-side variations, although I can sort of imagine what your saying, but as far as the variation of the work out and lactic acid, pain associated with it, one has only to follow the muscles required for each.

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
      Hi Guy's

I've been giving that side split-fist linking a good go since I checked out those vintage videos. In these videos I noted that both sexes appear to have this closed fist slap style of hitting the bag at different stages, from time to time; so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Doing it: As far as endurance goes the closed fist slap is a winner. When going for distance/time, sure you'd start fists as normal for the SDP. Getting over the minute mark doing repetative side split-fist linking, starting to feel a good amount of lactic acid build up in the traps, latts and upper arms. It feels great, knowing that I'm tapping into new muscle groups doing this. I keep it going, increasing the pace on and off in increments; man this is really burning my shoulders.
      The pain and burning in those muscles is indicating the primary movers you are using. The burning in the shoulders means you are swinging primarily from your shoulders. Most likely, you have your arms slightly extended and your hands in the "shaking hands" position and your thumb facing up toward the board. With either an open first slap or closed fist position, the position of the elbows are up and the movement is mostly from the shoulders. The traps and upper arms also indicate a raise arm position.

....It is now, when I rotate my fists 90* into the closed fist slap style position, for the 1st time ever.

Approaching the 2nd minute mark, I have gained instant relief from the lactic acid build up in my shoulder region from going into the closed fist slap. It feels different, but ok. Pushing on, I'm now noticing different sensations in my fists and wrists. Every time I connect with the bag now I'm having to make ajustments with my finger tips and the way I'm clenching my fist, if I lapse with my fists there is now the chance of the bag splitting/spreading the clench of my fists. Picking up the pace now, swinging a lot more form the elbow rather than the shoulder, my wrists have become totally unlocked, the motion I mimic when I connect with the bag is almost the same motion as knocking on someones front door. The lactic acid build up has come back, this time in my forearms and wrists.
      I'm thinking your statement when I rotate my fists 90* into the closed fist slap style position indicates you lowered your elbow position? this would bring the thumbs back into a position toward your face, not the board. I don't think the wrists rotation alone could do this. To me, the Elbow position is key. By lowering your elbows, the outer shoulders (medial head of deltoid) and traps are relieved from supporting the upper arms up and out.

Now your hitting movement is probably your "knocking on a door" with the forearms and wrists flexing to hit the bag, so now the forearms and wrist muscles begin to burn. the clenched fist would also strain the wrist muscles. Remember, when hitting the speed bag we normally have a closed fist, but usually a loose fist, not a "clenched fist". probably to do this you are also conciously squeezing your fists harder in the wrist punching motion - which also adds more tension to the muscles.

Results: While the closed fist slap was a great reliever to the muscle groups associateded to our normal mode of side punching it detatched from being able to deliver this type of strike with any natural power. To compensate this (at this point) I was forced to make my swings less rigid, and began taking swipes at the bag. This worked, and for the most part worked well.
      Again, sounds like you have changed the normal Side-Side punching motion with the palms down to the floor and thumbs toward the bag, and now have your palms facing the bag. One position has your thumbs toward the board, (which burns the shoulders) and another (with a lowered elbow) and the thumbs toward your face, punching more with wrist and forearm flexion.

this wrist, forearm action indicates the reason for your quote below.

Conclusion: Its been about an hour and a half since I did it. The closed fist slap has opened up a new muscle group that, before, I had never really associated with the speed bag, to this degree anyway. My forearms and wrists are feeling really tight at the momment and I have a feeling that down the track there's going to be a little bit of a pain factor in those areas. The only other time/s I have ever experienced a quality forearm workout was after a game of squash, but the disadvantage of that was that it only worked out my dominant arm; not with the speed bag. All in all, its been a fantastic way to do a forearm, wrist work out.
      We normally don't have such serious muscle strain on the forearms and wrists in any "normal" speed bag techniques or combinations. Roc, Look at your "arm and elbow" position to see why this is happening.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2007

Yes.

In normal side punching, as we know it, the thumbs face the bag and (this for me is where the clincher is) the palms face the floor. With the palms facing the floor you have reduced the distance from the elbow to the fist, giving you more power in your punch and a smaller surface area to strike the bag with.

Now with the closed fist slap, you are both right in saying your palms face the bag and your thumbs are angled at your face. By squaring your fist so's its faces the bag you are openning up a lot more surface area when striking the bag, initially when I 1st tried this I was getting a few miss hits (up-strikes). To counter this I could do one of two things, either spread my elbows or lower my elbows.

It's still in the works at the momment, but picture being able to split-fist link 360* around the bag without having to move your feet.
        Last edited by Roc Stone; 06-08-2008, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• Roc Stone
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2007

Ok Guy's

This is my latest hypotheisses, and without being patronising I believe it should be the clinching point. . How many of you out there jump rope, or skip even???

As we all know the speed bag and the skipping rope are typically used for boxing trainning purposes. Apart from skipping on the spot, along with all the dancy foot movements, there are 5 other jump rope basic tricks that boxers use:
          1) Sprinting.
          2) Double unders.
          3) Crossing the rope in front of the body.
          4) Criss-cross sprints.
          5) Criss-cross double unders.

Whilst I can criss-cross on the spot, as well as 1), 2) and 3), I have not yet performed either criss-cross sprints or criss-cross double unders, although I have tried. But to put things in perspective, the closed fist slap performed on side to side split fist linking perfectly mimics the final motion, in the rope control, when doing any criss-cross sequences with the skipping rope. Particularly with the criss-cross sprint.

See:
          Full article at:http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/jumprope2.htm2007 - Coach Ross Enamait demonstrates several jump rope drills. A more detailed discussion...

So guy's! Tell me if I'm talking through my hole here or what, but if the closed fist slap is chosen to perform side to side split fist linking, guess what? Your hands and wrist are in perfect alinement for trainnig the muscle groups associated with providing the speed for any jump rope criss-cross sequences. "Yeah???" But also, if you choose to use this fist slap technique added with the door knock motion as you connect with the speed bag I consider you would be further enhancing this same muscle group, providing a snappier completion to the rope motion in say for example a criss-cross sprint.

On summing up; because your double timing it when you do sprints with the skipping rope, to do criss-cross sprints you need a lot of arm speed in the cross over. By snapping/slapping your wrist at the end of the cross over movement, are you not creating just that little extra rope speed to perform this trick, particularly on the uncross???

Is there anyone in the Forum who can do a criss-cross sprint with a skipping rope? Like to hear your thoughts.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...