• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Newfie_Speedbag
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2006

Choosing My First Speedbag(s)????

HI folks,

I'm new to this game and I'm currently having my first 'Drum' made. it's going to be 36 inches wide and about 2 inches think (hard plywood) maybe even a think layer of cement on top as experiment on noise reduction/vibration control/response time. I'm thinking heavy duty because I'm a heavy guy, I'm 260 lbs and been strength training for the last 6 years: Logs,
    I-beams, sand bags, atlas stones, etc....

I'm also from Canada and for most things good I have to order in from the USA or if I'm lucky get it here within Canada. So, that being said I usually try to order the best that I can afford at the time and planning for the future as much as I can. As to not waste money the first time around on something that you don't use. Since I have to pay duty/shipping/taxes etc... which I'd be satisfied with if I get a good product. So, thanks to you guys, I've been able to read up on the topic get lots of good info from your posts thanks. But I'm still not sure on what make/model/size bags I should start with. I'm looking to buy 2 bags, 1 BIG 1 small...

The thing is I'm looking to the speed bag for 2 things

1. Shoulder development and Cardio

Very Big Bag (16inch to 12inch)? not sure??

2. Fun/Stress-relief/Creativity

Smaller bag (9x6 to 8x5)? not sure??

So any wisdom/advice any of you could hand along would be greatly appreciated!

As well if you have advice on what I should buy with regards to Make/Model.

did any of you ever hear the name Genesport? they have some pretty big bags and they are from Canada. here they are:

Thank you very much for you time and response,

Newfie,
    ________
    volcano digital
    Last edited by Newfie_Speedbag; 01-24-2011, 04:49 PM.
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I have bags ranging from 4x6 through 10x12. I know most people here prefer the smaller bags, and I do use my smaller bags on a regular basis. However, because I enjoy the cardio and really working up a sweat, I find myself using the larger bags, the 8x11 and 10x12 more than anything because I can hit them longer.

The smaller bags, 9x6 and 5x8 are great for speed and other tricky stuff, I really can't do them for nearly as long because of the shoulder burn. And before anyone says it, I know that if I kept working at the smaller bags I could work them for long periods too, but at my level of fitness right now, I'm just getting the most enjoyment out of the larger bags.

I don't know, to each his own.

I can't even imagine how slow a 16 inch bag would be because my 12 incher seems absolutely massive and very slow. What I really like about it is the ability to really pound on it really hard. If nothing else, I find I can get a lot of aggression out on it, so in that respect, that bag is priceless to me!

I'm sure lots of others will chime in with their thoughts.

Comment

• nowheredesign
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2006

It all Depends

I really dig my 9x6 bag. If you keep your elbows up, you will tell right away that you are getting a workout.

If you have the intention to be large, I would suggest a bigger, heavier bag. If you want to acheive "natural tone" with your shoulders and arms, get a smaller bag and keep increasing your time. Also, try to get into skipping rope.

Keep in mind that when one lifts weights in a bodybuilder's fashion, one loses speed. Take Michael Spinks (If you are old enough!) When he fought Mike Tyson way back when, he made the mistake of weight training, which took away all of his natural rhythm and speed and wala:

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Comment

• Newfie_Speedbag
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2006

sorry about the spelling errors, it was very late last night when I posted.

thanks for the insight foiks, and yes I am looking to increase shoulder strength and if I get a size increase so be it. However, as mentioned I would be slower .....but I figured if I work both big and small I could get the best of both worlds.

with regards to lifting weights; I'd say that I don't lift in a body builder fashion, I only lift once a week. All for function zero for looks. as well I'm very active (swim, bike, jog-hike, heavy bag) with a weight vest on my back were possible.

as well I can see now from the post from Chris that perhaps the bigger bag would be stress relief as well... thanks for the posts...

so does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking Title 10X12 (I've read good stuff from another member here(forget who now) about this one, too bad it didn't come in black/gold or something) or maybe a 16 inch monster from Genesport, has anyone here ever hit something that big? or even used Genesport speedbag?

and perhaps a Title 9x6, I prefer something without large welted edges as right now I like the feel of bag without gloves. (maybe use straps for large bag)

thanks for any feedback!
        ________
        Suzuki DL650 VStrom

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

PHP Code:
          as well I can see now from the post from Chris that perhaps the bigger bag would be stress relief as well... 
          You just can't really beat on the smaller bags. Well, you can, but you can't do it in the triplet rhythym! At least I can't hit a small bag as hard as I can and keep a 6x9 or 5x8 bag in triplet rhythym, they're too fast. Besides, those light small bags don't feel like your hitting anything because they are so light. The bigger bags are heavier and I can actually imagine they're someone's chin when my stress level calls for beating on something.

The Everlast pro series bags (see here: http://store.everlastboxing.com/everlast-speed-bag.html
          don't have the raised welts. Same with the Title bags http://store.titleboxing.com/titlespeedbags1.html the only problem with the Title bags is the straps are too long. In my opinion, and I know others here share my opinion, the longer straps aren't as good as the Everlast style short straps.

I'm going to take my beloved Title 10x12 bag down to an upholstery shop and get them to make the strap shorter. The strap is now long enough that I can fit two fingers into it. The problem is especially so on the heavier bags that the bag will sometimes twist at the strap instead of at the swivel when I'm beating on it and it doesn't rebound right when it unwraps itself in mid-flight if that makes sense.

Sometimes the 10x12 is just too slow though and I use my Everlast Pro 8x11 but it doesn't have the weight that the Title bag does. I highly recommend larger bags. At first they seem really slow and boring, but like I've said before, you can really wail on them for longer periods than you can the small lightweight ones.

Each size bag presents it's own unique workout.

Edit: correction to link for the title bags
          Last edited by Chris M; 06-21-2006, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag Sizes

Originally posted by Newfie_Speedbag
            HI folks,

I'm new to this game and I'm currently having my first 'Drum' made. it's going to be 36 inches wide and about 2 inches think (hard plywood) maybe even a think layer of cement on top as experiment on noise reduction/vibration control/response time. I'm thinking heavy duty because I'm a heavy guy, I'm 260 lbs and been strength training for the last 6 years: Logs,
            I-beams, sand bags, atlas stones, etc....

I'm also from Canada and for most things good I have to order in from the USA or if I'm lucky get it here within Canada. So, that being said I usually try to order the best that I can afford at the time and planning for the future as much as I can. As to not waste money the first time around on something that you don't use. Since I have to pay duty/shipping/taxes etc... which I'd be satisfied with if I get a good product. So, thanks to you guys, I've been able to read up on the topic get lots of good info from your posts thanks. But I'm still not sure on what make/model/size bags I should start with. I'm looking to buy 2 bags, 1 BIG 1 small...

The thing is I'm looking to the speed bag for 2 things

1. Shoulder development and Cardio

Very Big Bag (16inch to 12inch)? not sure??

2. Fun/Stress-relief/Creativity

Smaller bag (9x6 to 8x5)? not sure??

So any wisdom/advice any of you could hand along would be greatly appreciated!

As well if you have advice on what I should buy with regards to Make/Model.

did any of you ever hear the name Genesport? they have some pretty big bags and they are from Canada. here they are:

Thank you very much for you time and response,

Newfie,
            Your link to Genessports.net goes to a "frames" site, so you have to click on "training bags" and then a few others to get to see the bag. I did find the 16 inch.

(8766) Ballon poire cuir noir, Black Leather Striking Bag 16''

Wow. Big Bag. But for YOUR purposes of shoulder strength etc. I think it would be a good choice. Yes, it is slower, and the long bag loop even adds to the slowness, but "speed" is not the purpose of using this bag. It doesn't really matter how fast (or slow ) it moves if your purpose is to pound full power. Bag speed is only relevant to what you physically want to accomplish, and your main purpose demands a larger bag that can take your punishment. I really doubt that you will notice any effect from the longer loop. I just feel sorry for the poor bag that finds itself on your hook

You are a really big guy, and I doubt an 8x5 will be much fun because of the size of your hands, which must be huge. A 9x6, 10x7 will be better choice for speed work, but I imagine you will feel like you are barely moving to repetitively hit them. I've worked with a few 250+ or 300 lb. guys and the small bags just lack a certain something. Kind of like an adult riding a kids bike. You can, but it's just not much fun. Again, due to the size of your hands, IF you want to hit from all around the bag, (pass fist through) you may really need a larger bag and hang it a bit higher to let the thickness of your hand clear the bottom of the bag when it is on the board.

Good luck.

(by the way, I continue to be amazed at Chris M. knowledge and insights on bag use, choice, etc. Great posts...)

and this is a great post topic, for PERSON size and strength can also effect bag choice.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Newfie_Speedbag
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2006

Thank you very much for your insight Mr. Speedbag, I was hoping you were going to make some comments. (Very valuable comments)

I?vie decided to go with the 16 incher from Genesport as my ?BIG Bang? hopefully I?ll post a video down the road of the thing in action.

Now I need to decide on a small bag?? with regards to my hand size; I would have to say they aren?t really big?a little thick? but not overly big. You see I am not a tall person; only 5?9 but I am a thick person (53? around the chest)

I have had a little experience with a 4200 (6x9) not fully inflated?. And I have to say I really enjoyed that bag?(except for large red welting which left a few marks).and I didn?t have toooo much trouble considering I'm a newbie. So I?m seriously considering a bag this size from RIVAL their largest which is a 9x6.

Has anyone used/tried/or owned a Rival speedbag? If so would you recommend? Or should I just wrap my hands and order a 4200 or even a 4201? I do like the ?pop? from that bag as Mr. Speedbag mentioned in another post. That being said the 4200 is the only speed bag I?ve ever hit.

Thanks again ALL! Your comments a very much appreciated?..
              ________
              marijuana news

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

I edited my previous post to correct the link to the Title speed bag site.

Comment

• craig
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2006

hey, im also from canada. I spent about a week looking online for canadian ordering places, realizing that it is limited here. I finally ordered the 4210 bag from bam boo in toronto ontario. Its seems to be a good quality bag, and was cheap considering how much i would have paid with american duty charges and all that jazz. http://bambamboo.com is the website....you might wanna check that out...

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speed bag size

Originally posted by Newfie_Speedbag
                    ....I have had a little experience with a 4200 (6x9) not fully inflated…. And I have to say I really enjoyed that bag…(except for large red welting which left a few marks).and I didn’t have toooo much trouble considering I'm a newbie. So I’m seriously considering a bag this size from RIVAL their largest which is a 9x6.

Has anyone used/tried/or owned a Rival speedbag? If so would you recommend? Or should I just wrap my hands and order a 4200 or even a 4201? I do like the “pop” from that bag as Mr. Speedbag mentioned in another post. That being said the 4200 is the only speed bag I’ve ever hit.

Thanks again ALL! Your comments a very much appreciated…..
                    You might consider using Ringside - Canada customers and get the Top Contender 9x6 as an inexpensive alternative. If you like the 4200, I would stick with it. I have not used the Rival bags, but they are beautiful in design. Not sure how they perform on hook, but they look nice.

I would also suggest you get TWO small bags, either both 9x6 or a 10x7 and 9x6. That is because you will normally start getting more control, and naturally start hitting harder and faster. Speed wise, you will adapt and eventually be smackin' that bag pretty good. From the bags Point-of-View, That's a lot of smack (from a 260-lb man). I can go pretty fast on a 9x6, and hit at pretty near FULL power and keep up. I doubt my full punches will deliver one-half the power of YOURS, and if you approach full blast, your smaller bags may not last long. Kind of like me doing full spinning hook kicks years ago. After a while, the bags just won't hold up. ( I only kicked "OLD" bags that I could afford to lose....)
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2006

It's also worth noting that the bigger bags demand a larger drum. You should be fine with the 36 incher. Mine is 32 and I think I could handle a 13 or 14 without too much problems, but I honestly can't imagine going any slower than the 10x12 offers. It is nice to hit on the heavier bags though, hitting on a 16 incher would probably be more like hitting a heavy bag.

Comment

• Newfie_Speedbag
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jun 2006

I've Made my Decision.....

Hey Craig thanks for the link!!

So, I?ve finally chosen my second bag, from advice, a little experience, and now availability,
                        I?m going to with an Everlast 4201 (10?x7?).

So my First purchase(s) is:

1. Genesport 16? Black Leather Striking Bag (8766)

2. Everlast High Performance 4201 (10?x 7?)

*** Bonus *** Both bags are available within Canada?perfect?..

However, the Top Contender is very inexpensive even with duty..etc?thx

Also, I?ll take your advice, Mr. SpeedBag, on having more than one small bag(backup). I?m thinking I?ll give one of those nice looking Rival bags a try and see what they?re all about. As you guessed I do hit hard, in fact I?m currently looking for a new Heavy Bag the 100 lbs. TKO we use right now is dancing around. I?d like something really heavy?.200+ lbs. So if anyone can direct me to a Heavy Bag site(forum) it would be great?.thank you.

Well, I?d like to thank you all very much for ALL of your advice and great information. I am now ready to order?..

Cheers,

?I?ll let you know how these bags hold up to a beating as well as the Boxing Gear's? Speed bag Swivel....I think I?ll wear eye protection?.

Newfie?
                        ________
                        Yamaha PW80

Comment

• KevinDesroches
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • May 2006

boxing gears own ball and hook swivel is want u want

If u buy the everlast ball and hook definatly wear eye protection.
                          But after talking with the owner at the boxing gear store , i bought one of their own made ball and hook designs and let me tell ya this thing is heavy duty!
                          i speedbag usualy an hour a day for the past 2 weeks and i have no problem with anything gettin in my eyes (thank god)
                          like yourself, im bit of a heavy hitter at times and this swivel holds up no problem

Comment

• Newfie_Speedbag
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by KevinDesroches
                            If u buy the ever last ball and hook definatly wear eye protection.
                            But after talking with the owner at the boxing gear store , i bought one of their own made ball and hook designs and let me tell ya this thing is heavy duty!
                            i speed bag usually an hour a day for the past 2 weeks and i have no problem with anything getting in my eyes (thank god)
                            like yourself, I'm bit of a heavy hitter at times and this swivel holds up no problem

Thanks for the Heads-up on the ever last swivels, I'm glad I ordered the boxing gear model.

***back to the speed bag purchase****

Just as an update I did not order the every last 4201 bag because the cost of shipping was to high(from within Canada) $27.00 and the bag was $60...ouch...

so instead I ordered a Rival 6x9 (the last one they had) good price and fast shipping (also very professional to deal with...ask questions...etc...)
                            I will certainly be repeat customer if there gears works all well as it looks.

Cheers,

Newfie
                            ________
                            oxygen vaporizer

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...