• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

lowe's pine helps reduces vibration

Here is my everlast economy platform with a lowe's 24" pine disk on top of the original board. Adding the pine has resulted in a very noticeable reduction in vibration. The reduced vibration created better rebounds. All of you guys out there with an economy platform, I highly advise you to spend an extra $18 to give your platform a very effective upgrade.

Oh by the way, that is my tuf-wear 10 x 7
    Last edited by riqal; 12-20-2008, 02:40 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
    Here is my everlast economy platform with a lowe's 24" pine disk on top of the original board. Adding the pine has resulted in a very noticeable reduction in vibration. The reduced vibration created better rebounds. All of you guys out there with an economy platform, I highly advise you to spend an extra $18 to give your platform a very effective upgrade.

Oh by the way, that is my tuf-wear 10 x 7
    [ATTACH]268[/ATTACH]
    Now you're talking. Looks great, too.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dax_q
      • Jan 2008

I have been hitting with just the Lowe's pine. I dumped my original platform a while back.
      -Dax

Comment

• Pegasos
        • Feb 2007

Pretty nice.

Is this a concrete wall? Did you use anchors or bolts? And how long ones?

Comment

• jinksnyou
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Apr 2008

Lowes 24" Pine

My setup is in my old garage
          Using the Everlast platform I tried your suggestion about using the Lowes 24" pine.
          Sure helped.
          It still had a little vibration so I went to Harbor Freight and bought one of there cheap Cargo retaining bars that go in back of a pickup truck to keep things secure in the truck bed for approx. $13.00
          I used a chop saw and shortened it down (could have used a hack saw) then mounted it on top near the front. It has rubber on the feet with nubs holding it to the plates you can run a couple of drywall screws through the nubs after it is leveled. Two in the brace board (or ceiling )above and two in the platform it's self. Adjust just a little tension out and your platform won't budge. All the time keeping it level.
          Works for me!
          Oh ! by the way the sand bag on top was for putting in you trunk for traction in the winter snow 70 lbs. reduced to 50 lbs.

You are correct I have mine adjusted for me at a fixed position.
          But if I wanted to adjust it. The outer pipe has holes on opposite sides to this I would drill some more incremental holes at a set measurement so the inside pipe with button snaps would accommodate these holes to lock in place. To then adjust press both pins in twist a quarter turn then you should be able to adjust the platform to the new height. Then twist outer pipe back a quarter turn to align the buttons which will lock it. Then twist the assembly to snug it all up.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jinksnyou; 05-07-2008, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jinksnyou View Post
            ... cheap Cargo retaining bars that go in back of a pickup truck to keep things secure in the truck bed for appro. $13.00
            That's brilliant... that would help my set up as well.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

It would help mine too!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jinksnyou View Post
                My setup is in my old garage
                Using the Everlast platform I tried your suggestion about using the Lowes 24" pine.
                Sure helped a lot.
                It still had a little vibration so I went to Harbor Freight and bought one of there cheap Cargo retaining bars that go in back of a pickup truck to keep things secure in the truck bed for approx. $13.00
                I used a chop saw and shortened it down (could have used a hack saw) then mounted it on top near the front. It has rubber on the feet with nubs holding it to the plates you can run a couple of drywall screws through the nubs after it is leveled. Two in the brace board (or ceiling )above and two in the platform it's self. Adjust just a little tension out and your platform won't budge. All the time keeping it level.
                Works for me!
                Oh ! by the way the sand bag on top was for putting in you trunk for traction in the winter snow 70 lbs. reduced to 50 lbs lays right there and doesn't move.
                Very unique arrangement. I'm assuming you do not need to adjust the board up or down - which would be difficult with the cargo bar attached in the front.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Pegasos
                  • Feb 2007

I believe this is the thread i have been looking for...

so pine it is..

Comment

• Pegasos
                    • Feb 2007

H a lowe's 24" pine disk.....................I highly advise you to spend an extra $18

Damn, i was just out today and asked my local guy who has a shop and makes furniture and other small-time wooden stuff about a 2'' thick pine piece of 60cm diameter (25'') and he told me it will cost at least 100 euros!

Then i said, how about something similar, light and such, he showed me another form of manufactured wood, but he said it would cost at least 130 euros to use it for the measurement i asked!

The cheapest thing he spoke of was a really HEAVY, heavier than the heaviest wood, "thing", which is actually compressed paper or something. It would cost about 35 euros for the measurements i asked for.. (50 dollars)...

Damn, it would propably cost cheaper to order THREE of those pine disks from Lowes to fly half way across the planet(!) than order one from this guy.

Alternatively i can organize a way to steal a decent thick round wooden table from one of the cafeterias nearby to use (joke).
                    Last edited by Pegasos; 04-08-2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• mpsinger77
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Nov 2008

Any suggestions for my setup?

I purchased this very basic platform about 5 years ago. As soon as I saw the Speed Bag Bible video, I added the 3/4" birch board to the top of the thin board, used longer carriage bolts and also bolted the swivel all the way through the boards. I still had a lot of vibration, so I added the 2 sand bags which helped a lot with the vibration, gave me better rebounds and better sound. I am thinking of replacing the drum portion of my setup, but need to know what I should purchase(thickness and material, oak, cherry, etc...).
                      I was thinking of using a solid core smooth finished door panel, or something similar cut down to 30" x 30" square (from a local door shop)
                      I am also waiting for my new 8x5 black and yellow Everlast pro bag, but they are currently out of stock.
                      Last thing, should I have boards mounted to the wall, and then the platform mounted to the boards?
                      Sorry for the long post, but I hope someone can help.
                      Thanks, and love the forum!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• riqal
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Aug 2006

you said that adding the sand bags helped a lot with vibration. Just stick with what you have if the vibration has been greatly reduced - chances are there will always be some degree of vibration no matter what your setup is.

Comment

• mpsinger77
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Nov 2008

Thanks for the quick reply riqal.
                          So do you think it's even worth the effort and money to change the setup, or just leave it alone. I want to make sure I am getting the best performance from my setup, you know?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

you said that adding the sand bags helped a lot with vibration. Just stick with what you have if the vibration has been greatly reduced - chances are there will always be some degree of vibration no matter what your setup is.
                            Absolutely right. Adding the plywood on top of my old 24 inch board did help, but I eventually added more weight on top to further reduce vibration.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• mpsinger77
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Nov 2008

Thanks!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...