X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jumpy
    • Feb 2008

Not Thrilled with my Everlast 4200

NOTE: I'm new to the speed bag world, so please take my review with a grain of salt.

I just got it, and I'm not sure if it is just me, but the materials aren't super and it seems like the bag is misshapen. I've hit it a few times, and it feels like it just rebounds everywhere in unpredictable directions. especially when it hits a seam, whcih seems to be abnormally raised form the bag.

I know that it is a small bag (9 x 6 I think) and I'm new to speed bagging, but is this the way it should be. More and more (from reading between the lines and by my growing personal bias) I’m finding that Everlast isn’t exactly a quality product.

Last edited by Jumpy; 02-16-2008, 06:07 PM.
  • dbirdmma
    • Jan 2008

my everlast speed bag is also very poor quality the leather sucks

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
      Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

hey hey now!!!

dont be hatin on everlast. im not really a fan of there bigger bags especially not the 4200. But the 6x4 bags are simply AWESOME!!! so try those and let me know if you like them any better.

Comment

• dbirdmma
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by SpeedBagSkunk View Post
        dont be hatin on everlast. im not really a fan of there bigger bags especially not the 4200. But the 6x4 bags are simply AWESOME!!! so try those and let me know if you like them any better.
        i love everlast but the leather on my bag just isnt very good. but maybe its a defect. idk i wanna love everlast thats why it was my first choice of a speed bag and boxing glove but look at this picture does your bag look like this after only a month of use.

Comment

• riqal
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2006

Jumpy

Give that 4200 some time to break in. I'm sure it'll turn out to be a great bag for you. Years ago, I purchased an everlast black gyro balanced bag model #4204 (this bag looks very similar to the 4200). I think it is an 8 x 5 bag. It had all of the problems that you have described about your 4200. However, several weeks of using it and it was fine - even the protruding seams eventually settled in. I still have this bag (over 20 years old) and it still works great. I saw the picture of your bag, and it looks good. My point is you gotta give the bag some time to break in - kinda like a pair of shoes.
          Last edited by riqal; 02-22-2008, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Jumpy
            • Feb 2008

I guess I jumped the gun. A few days after I got it, I returned it. I was afraid that the more I used it, the less of a chance I'd have to return it, so unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to properly break it in. Who knows, perhaps in the future, I'll give it a chance again.

Thank you, everyone, for all the advice and feed back.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
              Jumpy

Give that 4200 some time to break in. I'm sure it'll turn out to be a great bag for you. Years ago, I purchased an everlast black gyro balanced bag model #4204 (this bag looks very similar to the 4200). I think it is an 8 x 5 bag. It had all of the problems that you have described about your 4200. However, several weeks of using it and it was fine - even the protruding seams eventually settled in. I still have this bag (over 20 years old) and it still works great. I saw the picture of your bag, and it looks good. My point is you gotta give the bag some time to break in - kinda like a pair of shoes.
              Yes, the 4204 is an 8x5 bag. I agree with your post also. I've had a bunch of black gyro's and it was an awesome bag. My last 4200 appears on the cover, which was shot in 1994. Here's that same bag in action.. From 1972 - 1996 I beat the seams off about ten 4200's (and a few tufwears, which were big in the 80's). The old E-4200 had leather seams, then they went to the thick red welt, which screws with the rebound until you beat it flat. I loved that bag because of it's short, near perfect teardrop shape, soft leather feel and nice short bag strap. Druing that time, I really didn't care for the 4204 8x5. We just never hit it off. Actually, I thought it was too light. Back then I preferred a heavier bag and stayed with the larger, heavier 9x6.

I was doing a demo (hitting a 4200) at a sporting goods show in February 1996 and met up with Ringside, and they sent me a few bags. At first, I actually thought the RS Bags were a bit too "springy" like a rubber basketball, and initially wasn't thrilled with the feel or action. They were also a bit longer per size than the Gyro's, but I figured it was my future, so kept on it with it until it felt like home. For some reason, I really liked their 8x5. In fact, I beat this one so much you can see the split seam in the opening 3 seconds. (top right next to red panel). This was the only size bag that I could keep up with this song. (AND the bag is just a bit over inflated). I'd crash and burn about a minute and a half in on a 9x6.

But alas, the 4200's I have seen and hit recently have not held up to expectations. I receive a lot of email about the 4200, and most of it is negative, indicating a drop in quality and inconsistent shape. The newer E-bags look interesting and skunk certainly makes his look impressive. (...but he'd make a lumpy potato sack look impressive ) Perhaps Everlast started focusing on all those other bag lines, and lost some quality control or interest over the pro gyro line. I don't know, but it's beginning to look like a sad end to a great bag.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 02-26-2008, 08:20 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• riqal
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Aug 2006

Oh yes that 4204 is an extremely light bag. And I am sorry to hear about the 4200's not living up to expectations and having negative reviews because I was hoping to eventually purchase one to replace my 4204 (20+ years old, God bless it!). No big deal, though. I have two everlast pro bags and a tuf-wear bag that are all excellent bags and they will probably last for years.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
                  Oh yes that 4204 is an extremely light bag. And I am sorry to hear about the 4200's not living up to expectations and having negative reviews because I was hoping to eventually purchase one to replace my 4204 (20+ years old, God bless it!). No big deal, though. I have two everlast pro bags and a tuf-wear bag that are all excellent bags and they will probably last for years.
                  I wouldn't really give up on the 4200. It just seems that a lot of the mail I get is negative. But maybe people make the judgement right after they put it on hook. I've had some "out of round" or lumpy at first, but they always seem to beat down fine after a while. Of course "back then" I didn't have 15 or 20 other bags to choose from.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Gary Chapman
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by SpeedBagSkunk View Post
                    i have an everlast 4200, as a spare ball, i agree they're not brillant

Comment

• clark-kentski
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Mar 2008

Ive had mine about 2 weeks now and like it it alot! Its faster than me for sure I practice striking patterns with an old everlast 4214 then switch to the 4200 to try for speed.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by clark-kentski View Post
                        Ive had mine about 2 weeks now and like it it alot! Its faster than me for sure I practice striking patterns with an old everlast 4214 then switch to the 4200 to try for speed.
                        boy, you traded up. I could never get a 4214 to go one mile per hour above SLOW. I swear that bag had mud in it.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• SpeedBagJunkie
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Oct 2013

It could very well be your platform causing the problems, go to SpeedBag JUnkies page to see it in action

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by SpeedBagJunkie View Post
                            It could very well be your platform causing the problems, go to SpeedBag JUnkies page to see it in action
                            I'm pretty sure it wasn't my board causing the problems. Other bags were fast and efficient on that same board, and that bag was slow on every board I put it on, which was several back in those days. I know several people have had good results on the red 4214, but all the ones I had were brown, and they pretty much sucked. For the same price I would get the smaller 4200, which was a much better bag IMO.

SpeedBag Junkies board's look to be incredible. Very solid and custom design drawn on. Very talented!
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...