• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Gold's Gym Adjustable Speed Bag Platform

I've been wanting to add a "kid friendly" adjustable platform to my setup in the garage, and I came across the Gold's Gym Adjustable Speed Bag Platform on the bargain Rack at Sears. For $22 I couldn't pass it up.

Here's a closeup. That is a RIVAL speed bag, NOT the speed bag that came with the kit.
    You can see it's got a ball hook swivel which did come with the kit. Also notice the protruding screws on the platform underside... That could adversely affect bag rebounds.

That's 50 lbs of sand on top , which is needed to prevent vibration. The speed bag pictured is the one that came with the unit. It's a very long bag. It's vinyl and has a very nice texture to it.

More underside detail. Note the drum is two pieces , screwed together.

On the left is the provided ball hook, on the right is an Everlast 4440 for comparison.

As you can see the Gold's unit is very long (too long). Combine the long hook with the long bag included and it's really too much length!

The provided swivel is a "cup type", rather than a true ball. That said the cup is very thick, not like the cheap feeling century cup type swivels. It appears that it will be very durable.

Detail of the two piece drum, showing how they attach. I may replace the drum with a home made one piece sometime in the future.

Detail of the adjustment mechanism. The bottom is secured with a knob, and it works quite well. The top is not tightened in any way, which necessitates the sand bag on top of the drum (otherwise it moves around too much when hitting hard). There's approx 7 inches of vertical adjustment.

Overall, I'd say it's an acceptable beginner board, especially at the bargain price. A serious enthusiast should skip it and get something less prone to vibration (The two piece drum and lack of a tightening mechanism on the top support are it's weak points).
    Last edited by Tim; 12-29-2007, 10:39 AM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Man that is a great post and review of that adjustable model. It is the first I have seen that style in production.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

(concerning this board "adjustment design, here's an interesting story..)

Back in 1995, while working along with NDL, maker of the now defunct "Hitman" line of home boxing products, (pictures scroll down to "national sporting goods convention and Las vegas fitness"...) I went to West Palm Beach to do a speed bag demonstration for some area "boxing smokers", which were arranged to get many boxing judges the required number of "rounds judged" to qualify to judge in the Olympics (Atlanta, 1996).

The person who arranged this was Jeffrey Brooks, (brother of the company president David). After the matches, we went to Jeffrey's apartment for a while (nice digs with an ocean view..) for him to change, and he had a new speed bag wall unit design he wanted me to see. A "prototype - to offer very quick adjustment", and it was a unit very similiar to this Gold's Gym unit. It had notched vertical frame units with attached horizontal bars that would easily fit various notched heights, to make about 12 inches of adjustment. It was not hung on a wall, so I just got to see the unit in it's packaged form. I took some pictures of it, and I'll post them if I can locate them.

The reason that his is "strange" is that Hitman had the corporate contract as the boxing equipment supplier to Golds Gym corporation, (my first sporting goods show for hitman was actually the corporate "Golds Gym Show", in July '95 demonstrating the hitman free-standing frame shown in the chicago nat'l sporting goods picture..)

Funny how Gold Gym now has a "notched" speed bag wall unit 12 or 13 years later....

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another twist of fate: I liked Jeffrey Brooks, who seemed like a pretty decent guy, but his brother (who owned NDL at the time) was way too intense for me - and in all honesty I did not like him at all. Prone to temper tantrums and letting you know who was boss. I saw him berate several people undeservedly, for one reason or another. I would say he was the kind of guy you really wouldn't mind not knowing, and I even discusssed his behavior with brother Jeff, (sort of "how do you put up with this guy..."). I think Jeff was a bit afraid of him.

Now his brother, David, also owned Protective Apparel Corporation of America (PACA), and Point Blank Body Armor, Collectively under the corporate heading DHBindustries They became a leader in body armor protection. They furnished body armor for the Olympics in 1996, and did product demonstrations for the Olympic security forces staying in Morehouse college, (..and had me do speed bag seminars for them also... that's how I got in and stayed a week.)

The Olympics was my last association with Hitman and the Brooks brothers, Jeffrey and David. I'm not sure what happened to Jeffrey, but I do know what happened to David.

Armor King... (seems to have lost a little hair in this pic..)

Feds Arrest Former DHB Chief

...stay a little longer

Race to the bottom

Ooops. ( now you know why "point blank is proud to announce their name change.... )

and now I know the rest of the story....
    Last edited by Speedbag; 12-30-2007, 01:27 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Giffy
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2008

Tim, You've got mail.

I also have this product. It is my first speed bag rig but since the ceiling is low where I workout I just screwed the platform to the ceiling. The bag that came with it has a very good rebound but it hits on the edge of the platform and the seems of the bag have broken open (after a couple of years or pounding).

Now I'm looking for a replacement. Tried TKO and Everlast but they were hex shaped and lop sided. Tim, would be nice to have that original bag if you're not going to use it. I'm new to the forum and, from what I read there are better bags out there but, it's something I've gotten use to. I even tried Golds toll free number but, they don't sell that model bag anymore.

Thanks,
      Giffy

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Giffy View Post
        Tim, would be nice to have that original bag if you're not going to use it. I'm new to the forum and, from what I read there are better bags out there but, it's something I've gotten use to. I even tried Golds toll free number but, they don't sell that model bag anymore.
        I e-mailed you back...

Comment

• Jumpy
          • Feb 2008

Man, for 20 bucks, that could make a knock-out b-day gift.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jumpy View Post
            Man, for 20 bucks, that could make a knock-out b-day gift.
            The more I look at Tim's pictures of this the more I like it.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Going on a year with this platform now... the swivel that comes with it is just too darn long and too darn heavy. I really need to replace it with an everlast ball hook.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Going on a year with this platform now... the swivel that comes with it is just too darn long and too darn heavy. I really need to replace it with an everlast ball hook.
                Do you have an everlast ballhook?
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  Do you have an everlast ballhook?
                  I do, I just need to put it on there.

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

So, Tim, what ever became of your Gold's Gym platform? Did the swivel hold up to abuse? I found one of these platforms on Craigslist, and stared at that crazy looking swivel. Funny that you own one and reviewed it a while back. Thank goodness for archives.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                      So, Tim, what ever became of your Gold's Gym platform? Did the swivel hold up to abuse? I found one of these platforms on Craigslist, and stared at that crazy looking swivel. Funny that you own one and reviewed it a while back. Thank goodness for archives.
                      At some point I gave away my old Everlast freestanding unit, and I wasn't about to give away a GOOD ball hook, so I gave this cheesy swivel with it.

The platform itself is up in the attic, not likely to ever hang again. I figure I'll give it to someone local who is in need of a platform.

After using the Balazs platforms, I'm sold. They've got the best thing going

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                        After using the Balazs platforms, I'm sold. They've got the best thing going
                        Agreed. I bought the i-Box last year after reading reviews about Balazs here at the forum.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...