• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary Bryant
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2007

Beware the Pro Ball swivel available on Amazon

Amazon has available for $22.00 or so a "Pro Ball Swivel" that looks exactly like the old Everlast metal ballhook. I'm new to the speed bag, and consulted this forum for the best swivel. The concensus seemed to be that the old Everlast was the one, if you can find it. Well, the one on Amazon may look like the old Everlast, but it is not. The product pictured is not what you get. What you get is the Century "Ball & Hook" swivel that doesn't use a "ball" at all, but a curved metal dome with a hook screwed in. Plus, the housing does not screw apart like the old Everlast. Not sure if it's Amazon or Century that provided the wrong picture, or if it was done so intentionally, but the Amazon picture clearly is misleading. Anyone know where I can get one of the old Everlast swivels or something comparable?
  • Gary Bryant
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2007

Amazon and the Vendor Respond

Happily, both Amazon and the vendor, esportsonline, acknowleged the problem, refunded the purchase price, and are correcting the on-line picture. Couldn't ask for a better response.

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Gary Bryant View Post
      Anyone know where I can get one of the old Everlast swivels or something comparable?
      Many now consider the everlast plastic ball and hook to be about as good as the old metal one. You should be able to find those in any sportings goods store.

If you're determined to have metal, look for used speed bag platforms on craigslist or e-bay. Many of the older ones include an everlast swivel.

Comment

• Busta Knuckles
        • Jul 2007

Hello Gary, just to let you know i already went through this fiasco with esportsonline,(posted as "the real deal?" on the forum discussion) and they agreed to refund, but even though they recieved their 3 crappy swivels back 2 weeks ago, they still havn't posted the money back to my account. I guess I'm going to have to waste more of my time and call and bitch em out

Comment

• speedbag4life
          • Jun 2007

A couple months ago Alan mentioned another site, fitness-equipment.com, that had the all metal ball-hook swivel. Back then they had it in stock, but they're out now... so you should go for it on ebay if you really want this kind of swivel.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
            A couple months ago Alan mentioned another site, fitness-equipment.com, that had the all metal ball-hook swivel. Back then they had it in stock, but they're out now... so you should go for it on ebay if you really want this kind of swivel.

I don't understand this. They (watkins fitness) wanted me to review the swivel, saying they had it in stock and ship within one day of ordering. Disappointing to say the least.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• firemanjer
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Aug 2007

Here is a current ebay auction with several Watkins swivels. 200147335627. I purchased from this same person with ebay ID: wrush2 about a month ago. The shipping info was from a person named Watkins, not from fitness-equipment.com. He shipped right away.

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

I'm using an Everlast Top Professional Swivel. Is the Plastic "S" swivel actually better?
                sigpic

Comment

• Busta Knuckles
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                  I'm using an Everlast Top Professional Swivel. Is the Plastic "S" swivel actually better?
                  Metaldad, I would say yes. I prefer the metal ball swivel, but I got a chance to try out the plastic one and it wasn't too bad. It might take a little time to get used to the extended range of motion(a little harder to control at first) which the "pro or chain style swivels are a lot more constricting, but the more you progress the more you'll be glad you switched

Comment

• Chris M
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                    Yes, the ball/hook swivels are better as you progress to doing different hits that the chain link swivels really can't allow you to do smoothly.

Comment

• Gary Bryant
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Aug 2007

Everlast Plastic Swivel Problem

I have the Everlast plastic swivel, and it works great EXCEPT that the hook keeps coming unscrewed from the plastic ball. Any way to stop this?

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

For Busta Knuckles and Chris M, thanks guys, I'll try one out.It's so ironic that the plastic ball swivel is actually $10.00 cheaper than the chain link. I had been wondering about this for quite awhile. I'll pick one up at Dick's or Sports Authority this week.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Chris M
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Gary Bryant View Post
                          I have the Everlast plastic swivel, and it works great EXCEPT that the hook keeps coming unscrewed from the plastic ball. Any way to stop this?
                          I used Loctite in mine and I never had another problem. Others have posted that superglue or other types of glue has worked for them as well.

Comment

• Jerrod
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Busta Knuckles View Post
                            Metaldad, I would say yes. I prefer the metal ball swivel, but I got a chance to try out the plastic one and it wasn't too bad. It might take a little time to get used to the extended range of motion(a little harder to control at first) which the "pro or chain style swivels are a lot more constricting, but the more you progress the more you'll be glad you switched
                            I tried the plastic Everlast ball swivel recently and I couldn't be happier with the action. However, the "S" hook and the eye hook are wearing out after only two months of use. I'll keep buying them because the action is that good (in my humble opinion), but I'd like to see them make a harder metal for the hooks. Maybe they could make them out of plastic as well?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...