• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • donalds
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2014

comparisons, mounting and price

I am looking to put a speed bag in my garage. I want to minimize the vibration both so not to bother other people in the house, and not to knock down anything I have hanging or on book shelves in the garage. Any comments on the Balazs i-Box platform vs the Prime Fighter Pro Speed Bag / Heavy Bag Adjustable Wall Mount- Model 500?

I know there is 15% off with the Prime Fighter products, any discounts on the Balazs i-Box platform? Shipping is also expensive.

To minimize vibration, should I put a couple of 2" x 4" x 3' between the speed bag mount and the wall in my garage (sheet rock)?

Also, should I go ahead and change out the swivel?
    Thanks.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by donalds View Post
    I am looking to put a speed bag in my garage. I want to minimize the vibration both so not to bother other people in the house, and not to knock down anything I have hanging or on book shelves in the garage. Any comments on the Balazs i-Box platform vs the Prime Fighter Pro Speed Bag / Heavy Bag Adjustable Wall Mount- Model 500?

I know there is 15% off with the Prime Fighter products, any discounts on the Balazs i-Box platform? Shipping is also expensive.

To minimize vibration, should I put a couple of 2" x 4" x 3' between the speed bag mount and the wall in my garage (sheet rock)?

Also, should I go ahead and change out the swivel?
    Thanks.
    I haven't had any experience with the primefighter 500 for I have the weight adjusted 400 model. However Mine is mounted in an upstairs bedroom to wall studs with wood runners. I can't have any pictures on the wall by the unit, or on the wall behind the unit (in another bedroom) because the wall vibration will either rock the pictures or create an annoying rattle of their own. It might be different in a garage. The prime fighters I've hit are rock solid and I don't have any sand bags over the top. The board does vibrate a bit as you will see in some of my video's, however I chose not to put weight over the top because I don't want to overload the wooden studs it is attached to. I've had three different board attached in that location to those studs, and I fear one is split. (rattle in the wall). so I don't put any weights on top. The I-box units are rock solid also.

If you are going to use any other swivel than the one supplied, I would attach it while the boards are off the wall, it's just a bit easier.
    Attached Files
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• donalds
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2014

XMark XM-2811 vs Balazs i-Box platform

I am close to buying a speed bag platform. Looks like the 2 choices I like are XMark XM-2811 vs Balazs i-Box platform. Both look solid. I believe the XMark has a 30" drum, 1.5" thick, vs a 24" drum, 1.25" thick for the Balazs i-Box. I don't know if the bigger drum makes a difference on the XMark. But the thicker drum seems good. The swivel on the XMark looks like it will not be as smooth as the Balazs i-box, but I don't know. For either platform, maybe I should replace the swivel. Any recommendations on any of this?

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by donalds View Post
        I am close to buying a speed bag platform. Looks like the 2 choices I like are XMark XM-2811 vs Balazs i-Box platform. Both look solid. I believe the XMark has a 30" drum, 1.5" thick, vs a 24" drum, 1.25" thick for the Balazs i-Box. I don't know if the bigger drum makes a difference on the XMark. But the thicker drum seems good. The swivel on the XMark looks like it will not be as smooth as the Balazs i-box, but I don't know. For either platform, maybe I should replace the swivel. Any recommendations on any of this?
        I get my swivels the same place I get my haircut.... The barber of Deville

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...